Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

the45
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2011, 4:46 am

I had to search and found this thread because I didn't want to redundantly start a new one.

I think people may mistake Gil Arenas to have AS because of his goofy behavior and egocentric style of play (chucking and non passer). But we won't know until he admits he was officially diagnosed.

I think generally speaking most players in team sports would have trouble to find success. There is a need to be able to mentally synchronize with teammates and have empathy in opponents' strategies. Something autism spectrum people struggle with.

Here is my suspicion of an athlete who has AS. Former (or still) NBA player Adam Morrison. He is socially awkward and is sensitive of fan comments during road games. One coach would notice Adam react to a random fan's heckling. It's a guess but am not too sure.

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm

Clay Marzo has aspergers he is a professional surfer and my favorite surfer. Watch this short 12 min documentary on him. 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKbIM61fAM[/youtube]

the45
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2011, 2:28 am

^^^^

cool video. I am not a fan of surfing but it's great AS is getting some mainstream attention.

Aacgectyuoki
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2011, 8:53 am

I think Berry Bonds had Asperger's

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 6:33 pm

I am a professional golfer, was the best in gymnastics at school, told I was talented by instructors in tennis, fencing, did the decathlon,scored a 49 break in snooker.
I am extremely flexible and can leg press 400kilos 10 times strict form.

Hopeless at everything else, except German where i taught myself to speak it fluently, have WSET level 2 in Wines, can build computers, hear i am fantastic at landscaping etc..

Otherwise useless ! and no friends!! !! !! !! !! !! not one ! !! !! !(girlfriend though) ! !

devilDriver
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

I think Bill Belichick (Patriots coach) appears to have a lot of the signs of Aspergers. Monotone, eye avoidance, he's gotta be the worst dressed coach in american pro sports. He's also maybe the smartest coach in the history of the sport.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbW_LzIZAs[/youtube]

Also, Nick Diaz has some serious social issues. I'm not sure if its necessarily Aspergers, but its possible. I'm pretty sure he refuses to get any therapy, but he severely damages his career with his flakyness.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4BUAL6smM&feature=related[/youtube]

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

Many hockey goalies are likely Aspies, so I imagine a few professional goalies are too. It's a solitary position in a team sport that requires you to be alone for long periods of time and few people on your team understand you. Works great for me! Plus most skaters (non-goalies) call us crazy and wonder how we can possibly enjoy it so all the better.

devilDriver wrote:
I think Bill Belichick (Patriots coach) appears to have a lot of the signs of Aspergers. Monotone, eye avoidance, he's gotta be the worst dressed coach in american pro sports. He's also maybe the smartest coach in the history of the sport.

I know I'm a really good coach but it takes a LONG time for people to take me seriously and listen to what I have to say. I certainly see a little of myself in Bill Belichick although I don't follow Football enough to say for sure.

Last edited by GiantHockeyFan on 18 Jul 2012, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyageress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

I'm involved with triathlon and most people I know within that sphere have aspie traits, especially the ones who do long distance races.

This is an interview with the Brownlee brothers, of whom Alistair is tipped to get the gold in the London Olympics: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18247695 - no confirmation of whether they've been diagnosed or not, but there's definitely hints.

I also can quite happily go for a six hour ride or two hour by myself...

Vx