Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 4:41 pm

I've read that fish oil capsules can help with depression and stuff.

Have you tried it? Effects?

abstrusemortal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2008, 5:07 pm

doubt it

I have bouts of depression and I take omega-3 fish oil daily, of course along with good meals.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 5:21 pm

I am not sure about any anti depressive effects, but there are supposedly some positive effects for people with ADHD, as an alternative to Ritalin. I take salmon oil and magnesium citrate which helps with metabolism.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 2:41 am

i only know of fish oil as a nutririon supplement for having high percentages of high quality fatty acids. from what i read, it seems to be quite usual among weightlifting guys and bodybuilders.

i never heard about and "mental" side effects.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 10:04 am

Sounds like one of those quack things that people eat by the handful while deliberately ignoring proven, conventional ways to improve and preserve their health, like quitting smoking, increasing the level of physical activity, wearing the seatbelt while driving, eating enough protein, etc.

angelbabe6333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2008, 2:09 pm

I've been taking fish oil supplements for about three months now. I saw on the news that it might help with depression so I figured it was worth a shot. I can't say for positive that It has helped with my depression but I definitely don't feel worse then when I started. Since taking them I have been able to focus and follow through with losing weight for the first time in many years. ( 15 pounds lost so far! :D ) I like to think that it has helped but it might be all in my head. But regardless, there are other health benefits to taking them.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2008, 6:45 pm

Oh yeah my mood seems to lighten and my brain seems sharper too. Also I notice my skin and hair improve and it helps burn fat! It's great stuff.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 5:57 pm

My son gets fish oil, unfortunately called Eye-Q, for ADHD (along with conventional medicine) it helps and I think there actually is some documentation of this. Don't know about depression, though.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 1:31 am

I used to take fish oil, it helped to bring down the effects of HPPD. It never brought down my depression though. I'm planning to start taking it again, as I started going to the gym two months ago and my trainer advised to resume consuming it. It's the best source of Omega-3 fatty acids after all.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:39 am

It's good for your general health, due to the high Omega-3 fatty acid content. Bear in mind you should be getting a ratio of about 1:3 omega 3 to omega 6 acids, but the standard diet in the US is about 1:10-1:30, and slightly less in other 'western' countries (still way too high on Omega 6 though). So Omega 3 is very beneficial to your health, and apparently can help lift depression.

Basically, if you're healthy, it follows that you're going to be less depressed than if you're unhealthy, because let's face it - nobody likes being sick, and there's nothing worse than being ill all the time. You just need to be careful of the form the fish oil takes, as a lot of fish these days is high in mercury thanks to our polluted oceans, and cheaper brands will often still have that in the oil, rather than getting rid of it during processing.

Fish Oil will generally also contain Vitamin D though, which is where the anti-depressant qualities could also be coming from. Vitamin D is one of the 'super vitamins' and a potent anti-cancer agent. Be aware, though, that it comes in a few forms. Vitamin D2 is very easy to overdose on, so you shouldn't take that in tablet form. Vitamin D3, however, is better for you and less easy to OD on, so is ok to take as a supplement - just bear in mind you should be monitoring levels via blood tests. However... the easiest way to get it (and the one way you can't overdose on it) is to get it from sunlight. Direct sunlight straight onto your skin - not through glass, and not with sunblock or moisturisers or anything on - creates Vitamin D, which forms on the skin. Approx. 10mins is all you need a day to get your minimum requirement, as long as you get 3/4 of your body in the sun. The moment you start turning pink you need to get in the shade though and let it absorb, or it'll just burn off. Obviously sunburn is to be avoided. So 10mins sun then 10mins shade is ideal.

Sorry - tangent! :D

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

I take it for depression and concetration memory and chlolesterol. works wonders. its even supposed to help offset braindamage.

Its the miracle molecule, good for arthitis cholesterol, heart, brain( mood, memory concentration.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:22 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Fish Oil will generally also contain Vitamin D though

you have it confused with cod liver oil two different things

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2008, 10:55 am

I have taken fish oil. Every day for the last four years of my life and never looked back.

I noticed an over all improvement in my anxiety and study skills.

Keep in mind I also work out regularly, eat healthily, and burn the occasional tree.

Omega 3's are not naturally produced by humans. Yet our brains are composed of fat.

Most American diets are packed full of Omega 6 fatty acids but have little if not any Omega 3 fatty acids.

The reason people recommend Fish Oil is because it helps concentration and is very good for the heart. People forget our bodies are like well oiled machines. When the machines work perfectly fine they are happy and productive. But when something is out of whack like a loose cog or crossed wires the machine does not work as efficiently.

So really I say give it a try, worst case scenario it doesn't work. Or you find out you are allergic to fish, in which case use flax seed oil (also packed full of Omega 3).

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:18 pm

Zane wrote:
Omega 3's are not naturally produced by humans. Yet our brains are composed of fat.

Omega 3 is great for the brain but also wonderful for the heart, most of the Omega 3 we get are in fish and seal oil, much the seal oil that is produced come from our seal hunt.

Seal oil is often recommended to recovering heart surgery paitents here in Newfoundland, I was thinking of taking them for my health as well.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:35 pm

Omega 3 is great for everything! :D

Just be careful to not add too many Omega 6s if you eat a 'normal' diet inclusive of junk food and processed foods... most people who eat the standard diet today have too many and the ratio of 6 to 3 is out of whack. You'll probably be more normalised though if you eat a healthy, natural diet. :)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:44 pm

it needs to be taken regulary for something like three months? then dose can be reduce,dont bother unless can guarantee are not going to end up missing a lot.,it says it on the bottle/box how to take it.
am had EyeQ for a long time and it did eventually help made feel better,but took a long time to get there due to mum forgetting to give it,had tried the liquid EyeQ and Capsules-the liquid is alright but then not long after taking it there is a really strong taste of fish that comes back up.
am got the same with capsules but not as much.

try it and see,though dont expect instant results.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!