What classes can i take to improve my motor skills?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 3:10 pm

Hey Folks.

Is there any threapy sessions anywhere i can take to improve my motor skills? I live in orange county CA and i would like to know if there's any type of programs or threapy for improving motor skills. Like for example, catching a ball, or eye hand cordination. Thank you.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 5:03 pm

Ballet class worked well for me. It improved my balance and made me a better wrestler back in my school days.

GNRfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 5:03 pm

I'm not sure of any in particular , a physical therapist may be better suited to aiding in this issue and how to help you. Also your body will adapt if you constanlty try to improve your motor skills ( even if just a little ) you may want to try taking up an musical instrument or get out to play things like baseball or basketball more, even playing Nintendo Wii could potentially help.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:27 pm

I don't know if you have restrictions on certain types of activities, but martial arts works for some people on here. Maybe you could try tennis, bowling, ping-pong, basketball, cycling, or swimming.

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 10:48 pm

Thank you!

any more suggestions? anyone?

Linebeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2008, 10:30 am

I grew up playing a lot of video games and I was quite active in the backyard.

I would assume you already have good motor skills based on your high level of RC racing, are you seeking to become even better at it?

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:54 pm

Linebeck wrote:
I grew up playing a lot of video games and I was quite active in the backyard.

I would assume you already have good motor skills based on your high level of RC racing, are you seeking to become even better at it?

I would like to get better at my gross motor skills. I have very good fine motor skills in but I'm a little off when it comes to catching a ball.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 9:39 am

When I was a kid, my parents made me take gymnastics classes in order to improve my motor skills. This was the doctor's idea.

And I thought they just wanted to be nice and let me have fun playing on the gymnastics equipment. It wasn't until I was an adult that they told me the harsh, utilitarian truth. :?

But the doctor said it was effective in improving my motor skills, apparently.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:54 pm

I danced ballet when I was little and I was on the swim team in highschool which probably helped though I dont know whether I even had significant motor problems with begin with.

traveller011212
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2008, 10:38 pm

Juggle
get a personal trainer and learn to lift weights correctly (everyone could learn something)
swim class
any dance
aerobics
martial arts
yoga
bouldering (indoor)

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2008, 10:06 am

tai chi and yoga would probably be good, as far as classes go. i think it's more about getting in touch with your body than learning skills, so regular long walks, weight lifting, crunches, and that type of regular exercise on your own would probably help too.

catching a ball isn't about physical skills, it's about who can do calculus in their head very quickly. i can't, and i'm not ashamed about that. : )