Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ImMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2009, 2:40 pm

I just want to say that Aspartame gave me intestinal pain; like a shocking kind of pain that might last a minute or so.

I figured this out because my father only has diet soda since he's become obsessed with losing his belly fat and so that's what I drank. But EVERYTIME I drank it a couple hours later I would get this awful pain. And this happened on all four occasions of drinking this stuff. So you can believe that this stuff isn't bad for you and all that, but I'm not drinking anything with chemical sugar substitute again. That was kind of scary when I realized it was the Diet Coke.

So I bought regular Coke. The pain never came back. Now they buy some regular Coke for me.

Of course, maybe there is something else in Diet Coke that doesn't agree with my digestive system, but I'd rather just avoid Diet drinks than attempt to determine that.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
It does have aspartame, which is probably the single worst additive known to man. The story of how it was approved reads like a horror novel, and with its FDA-acknowledged 92 known side-effects including cancer, stroke, heart failure, death, gradual organ failure etc etc it's pretty horrendous stuff.

In short, if you're going to drink coke, drink the real stuff with sugar in it. Sugar is bad, yes, but it's far better for you than aspartame or any other artificial sweeteners.

I think Coke are actually bringing out a coke sweetened with Stevia though soon, which is another natural sweetener (made from the pressed leaves of the South American Stevia plant) that has no side effects, no calories, is hundreds of times sweeter than sugar, and in some studies is shown to have a positive effect on blood sugar levels as well. So keep an eye out for that.

Whoa, really?
That'll be interesting.
I'm not a fan of carbonated stuff, but it will be interesting to see something like that- a Coke product made with more natural sweeteners.

I down a bag of the artificial stuff a day.

to his Interest."

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 7:14 pm

I love Coke Zero or any kind of diet drink I dont drink it because I think it helps me loose weight but I drink it for the aftertaste which taste good to me 8)

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

Diet sodas are known to leech calcium from your bones.
Other data suggests that the calcium carbonate from diet sodas can lead to cancer and other endocrine disorders.

Best thing to do is drink water.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 1:40 pm

How about drinking zero coke instead of coke zero? :D

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

JesseCat wrote:
Diet sodas are known to leech calcium from your bones.
Other data suggests that the calcium carbonate from diet sodas can lead to cancer and other endocrine disorders.

Best thing to do is drink water.

^^ This. I've also read that soft drinks with artificial sweeteners can cause weight gain. Tasting something sweet triggers an insuline response, and if you don't ingest any real sugar, your blood sugar will drop too low. The result is ravenous appetite (as well as headaches, dizziness, and trouble concentrating).

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 9:17 pm

I can't drink plain water- it makes me gag.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Add a spoon of lemon or lime juice. No calories, and adds flavor.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm

emorah_slaytron wrote:
Get more "sky juice" (slang in my country for water), better than artificially-sweetened-and-coloured junk anyday...

:? Why do Westerners in general seem to LOVE artificial sweeteners? My UK and US friends wouldn't touch a teaspoon of sugar, but can happily dump 3-4 packets of man-made chemicals into their tea... 8O

Do less with more, that's our philosophy :D

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:04 am

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Add a spoon of lemon or lime juice. No calories, and adds flavor.

I couldn't taste it though- I'd have to add about twenty full lemons to my gallon, and that'd be expensive.

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 27 Mar 2012, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:06 am

MDD123 wrote:

:? Why do Westerners in general seem to LOVE artificial sweeteners? My UK and US friends wouldn't touch a teaspoon of sugar, but can happily dump 3-4 packets of man-made chemicals into their tea... 8O

I love it because

a. I love not having a fat @ss
b. I love not having diabetes.

I don't particularly care where the stuff comes from.
Having taste hyposensitivity, I usually add about ten packets to my tea, when I'm out. :lol:
At home, I brew tea or coffee by the gallon and use one of the bigger bags.
Else, I'd never drink at all.
I simply can't justify consuming 3-4 pounds of sugar a day just to be able to stay hydrated.

to his Interest."

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 11:39 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

I feel the same way about tap water, but I love mineral water. I even use bottled mineral water to make tea and coffee. Tap water is very bland in comparison and contains residual pharmaceuticals such as antibiotics that aren't filtered out in wastewater treatment plants. (These pharmaceuticals also find their way into sodas and soft drinks btw, which are usually prepared with tap water).