Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

When people talk about having swag, or being "swagged out", what are they referring to?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Not exactly sure, I am pretty sure MTV started it though.

Pretty much means looking cool, or in style

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Swag == "Stolen With A Gun" (So I've been told).

So I'm assuming that to be "Swagged Out" in this context means to be wearing a lot of loot or "bling".

Merriam-Webster defines "Swag" as a type of drapery or a lurching walk. So in this context, "Swagged Out" means to be dressed in voluminous clothing or to walk with a lurch or a "swagger".

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:18 pm

"Swagger" is the root of it. If you know what it means to swagger then the term should be self explanatory

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

I have heard the bags of free stuff you get at conferences, fashion shows, film festivals, etc. referred to as "swag" so I think it means cool stuff of some sort.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

A swagman (also called a swaggie, sundowner or tussocker) is an old Australian and New Zealand term describing an underclass of transient temporary workers, who travelled by foot from farm to farm carrying the traditional swag (bedroll), particularly during the Depression of the 1890s.

So "Swag" is goods or possessions, and has only recently come to be associated with prizes and tchotchkes (small toys, gewgaws, knickknacks, baubles, or trinkets) that are given away by radio stations.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
A swagman (also called a swaggie, sundowner or tussocker) is an old Australian and New Zealand term describing an underclass of transient temporary workers, who travelled by foot from farm to farm carrying the traditional swag (bedroll), particularly during the Depression of the 1890s.

So "Swag" is goods or possessions, and has only recently come to be associated with prizes and tchotchkes (small toys, gewgaws, knickknacks, baubles, or trinkets) that are given away by radio stations.

This is not what Tim Tex is asking about

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

Alexender wrote:
Fnord wrote:

How do you know? I am not being contrary, I just can't tell how you know this isn't what he means. :)

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

Kind of a silly reason but some guys did a mock product of swag in one of my classes senior year.

Marketing class

Oh and they were "cool people".

Last edited by Alexender on 16 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

umm i gues it means to have a certain "flair" then we could come to the question well what is flair then its to behave in a way with certain manerism and a certain way of braking habit that shows a amount uncalculated reach for perfection. if you do someting with enough swag you will leave people in aw about how its done if you do something without swag it will look kinda dull no matter how awesome it is. although doing something truely amazing without any swag or flair could make it seem more swag because you show its the most normal thing you'd ever do while its so awesome.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

I was asking because I heard a guy say it on Maury, he said his being swagged out was why a woman was trying to pin her baby on him, and didn't know what swag was.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:52 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I was asking because I heard a guy say it on Maury, he said his being swagged out was why a woman was trying to pin her baby on him, and didn't know what swag was.

In that case, he was probably saying that he ha no clue as to why she might be committing paternity fraud.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

Alexender wrote:
Fnord wrote:

How would you know? He only recently gave details on the context.

Stop acting like a troll.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
How would you know? He only recently gave details on the context.

Stop acting like a troll.

I could provide a multitude of reasons for how you have acted like a troll before but that is beside the point. And the details he has provided show that I was correct in saying that what you thought it was ended up being wrong

Ellingtonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

'Swag' is colloquial slang for possessions, often expensive ones.

'Swagged out' would mean rich.

I think the guy on maury is saying that the woman is trying to 'pin her baby on him' as he has a lot of money and she could get a large amount of child support from him.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 8:45 pm

Swag = Being tricked out/ filled with bling (real or fake)

it could also mean:

getting positive attention from Girls (if you're a guy) or Guys (if you're a girl).

and a bunch of meanings people made up

MBTI- ISTP