Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 12:05 am

I am OBSESSED with dance.I started studying ballet at age 6, and did until my mid twenties.I am terribly shy with dancing in public but this Halloween overcame it and danced in the street to my favorite reggae band. I read anything and watch anything to do with ballet; I did go to a tango class once,but did not like 50 year old men hitting on me,so I stopped that. I love dance but mostly do it on my own as I cannot handle clubs and crowds. I dance at least a few times a week on my own,it makes me so happy.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2010, 6:37 pm

I don't think I'll ever understand how people get pleasure out of dancing. I know how to do the moonwalk, but I don't actually dance.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2010, 9:14 pm

I don't think it's possible for me NOT to dance when I listen to music. I love dancing so much, and I love music so much. DDR was my close companion for a couple of years...It's also a very integral part of my parents' culture.

I'm genetically predisposed to dancing...

beccah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2011, 3:18 am

beccah wrote:
ive pretty much always been obsessed with dance except now that i passionately despise classical ballet-i really love contemporary ballet,modern and aerial/circus arts but never taken class for contem. ballet only classical,taken limited modern classes and zero circus/aerial.b/c of money :( im planning on getting back in shape so i can return to dance.it makes me really happy. no lie,dont feel like a total loser in class.heck,i even smile sometimes!which is huge considering im shy AND have AS.

and its one of the only things that can cheer me up because i can get really really depressed some...a lot of the times but i dont say that.

beccah

01 Jan 2011, 3:24 am

Kady93 wrote:
I took beginning ballet in my freshmen year to help with my jazz. Now as a junior, I'm taking Intermediate Jazz B/C. Its a lot of fun, but I really need more practice with my fuotes(spelling?)

^i think its spelled fuettes ?correct me if im wrong

dancind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2011, 4:13 pm

I've danced most of my life, but didn't start until college. In my late 20s, DH and I traveled and competed in the C&W partner circuit. We made it to the pro level.

DD is more talented than I was, from ballet to hip hop, but at 19 she's sort of quit. Now she's a longboarder. I have to think she will get back to dancing someday, maybe when she gets over avoiding partner dancing because her parents like it.

We are both aspies. She still can't ride a bike. For a long time, I thought that couldn't be the answer because we are both good dancers.

dancind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2011, 4:18 pm

I've danced most of my life, but didn't start until college. In my late 20s, DH and I traveled and competed in the C&W partner circuit. We made it to the pro level.

DD is more talented than I was, from ballet to hip hop, but at 19 she's sort of quit. Now she's a longboarder. I have to think she will get back to dancing someday, maybe when she gets over avoiding partner dancing because her parents like it.

We are both aspies. She still can't ride a bike. For a long time, I thought that couldn't be the answer because we are both good dancers.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 9:36 pm

When I'm feeling depressed,dancing always makes me feel a lot better.Alas I don't have much privacy where I live...so when I'm alone for an hour,I rush and dance! love it! loving this song...[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65kmEevFGKw[/youtube]

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Feb 2011, 10:04 pm

I took ballet classes in my early twenties. I loved it, and my instructor said that I was a natural. Too bad that I couldn't keep up with it. I still love to dance to music when alone, and I love to watch a good ballet.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 7:54 pm

I took my son to a children's zumba class today. He was somewhat clumsy and uncoordinated, as I expected, but I was interested to see he was almost the only kid in the class with a sense of rhythm.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

04 May 2011, 8:57 pm

I was on dance team in high school- mostly hip-hop stuff for games, but we did some jazz and other dances, too.

I was in theatre, and dance, and choir- I miss performing. :(

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2011, 10:30 pm

I've never danced yet I love it and would love love LOVE to learn ballet despite being 36 :oops: I am so deeply introverted and cannot bear anyone watching me so have never been able to get up the courage to go to a class. I am extremely thin but not in the slightest bit athletic, my body is sort of stiff and awkward, I know I'd be crap at it but it's about the pleasure it would give me, not being good. I love watching ballet on TV, I've fantazied for years about being able to dance in pointe shoes and wear beautiful tutus. I actually bought one the other week and dance around the house in it when my husband goes out.

I'm also interested in other types of dance, bellydancing looks fun and I LOVE the costumes but having an incredibly scrawny and very pale body........nah.....not gonna set myself up for looking an idiot and being laughed at. Some types of japanese dance look fascinating.

Anyone got any good links? :)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 May 2011, 10:42 am

FaeryEthereal wrote:
I've never danced yet I love it and would love love LOVE to learn ballet despite being 36 :oops: I am so deeply introverted and cannot bear anyone watching me so have never been able to get up the courage to go to a class. I am extremely thin but not in the slightest bit athletic, my body is sort of stiff and awkward, I know I'd be crap at it but it's about the pleasure it would give me, not being good.

Actually, women in their forties have taken ballet classes and gotten very good at it. It is all in the practice. Since you are thin, that helps enormously. I may have mentioned earlier in this thread that I feel much the same way you do about ballet. I miss it so much! Sometimes I get choked up when I watch a ballet. I love the practice, the shoes, and the costumes. If you feel self conscious about taking a class, try having a few private lessons at first. That way you can concentrate on the exercises. When you have those down, you can join a class which will be cheaper. Follow your dream while you still can! I really regret stopping classes all those years ago.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 9:58 pm

I am 14 and I have been dancing for 11 years now. I dance ballet, modern, jazz, and some hip hop and tap, but mostly ballet and modern. I am in the highest level in my entire studio this year! Dance has always been an outlet. for me, and it has also taught me so much. As an aspie, dancing is much harder for me than most people. I have the raw talent, but its very tough for me to pay attention and remember combinations. Taking dance classes has also helped teach me impulse control, as you can't just yell out while dancing (hehe I still do). My dance studio is my. home. We are all so accepting of eachother. They know I'm not normal(they only know. about ADHD because AS has not been completely officially diagnosed), and they love me anyway. We are a family. Yes, the social aspect has been tough, but its also good for me, and its nice to have a safe place to relax and express myself, as well as having people I love around me. Speaking of, my dance teacher is having her baby in a couple weeks and we are all sooooooo exited! Anyway, I love to dance!

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2012, 12:37 pm

dancing is one of my passions, i used to only like dancing in a couple, with a girl who would also get pumped up but now im getting into a couple of electronic music dances too, shuffling and other one i forgot the name

quirkyandlaughing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2012, 12:53 am

I've always loved dance and took a couple of classes when I was young but I suck. I mean, I really suck. I lived in Brazil for a year with girls who did nothing but Samba and I never figured it out. Not even close.