Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

quirkyandlaughing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2012, 12:53 am

I've always loved dance and took a couple of classes when I was young but I suck. I mean, I really suck. I lived in Brazil for a year with girls who did nothing but Samba and I never figured it out. Not even close.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2012, 5:54 am

I have a passion for dance and have been dancing for most of my life, in one way or another. My husband and I are attending a beginners' salsa class just now. I don't really feel like a beginner, although I've never actually done salsa before, except for the few moves I've learned at Zumba classes. I suppose I'm super confident and nothing we've been taught so far has been in the least bit difficult. Unfortunately, my husband does not possess the same confidence and he doesn't have a lifetime of dance behind him either. I think he has been comparing his progress to mine, which isn't at all helpful. So, he says he'll not be going to the advanced classes, after this 8 week course ends. :(

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2012, 11:25 pm

As much as I wanted to, I could not take dance classes as a kid because it would affect my sports schedule and my parents couldn't afford it. Right now I'm part of my school's dance team, and I'm loving it! Typically, we dance for the pep rally/homecoming game, halftime during basketball games, and march maddness. We might even get to perform one of our dance during the Celtic's prime time :D

Voyageress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

Absolutely love dancing. I've never been to any lessons, but took up aerobics in my early 20's and learnt the structure of music, which makes sense of following rythym patterns physically. As long as you can count to four and eight and keep to that count you can dance to most tunes.

I'm known to go to to clubs and parties and dance for up to five hours continuously - that, combined with a few rum and cokes, is the best night ever. The only problems I do encounter is when men interpret my moves as a 'come on' and don't quite get it when I tell them to "b*g off, I'm dancing".

However, the only dance I've not quite got the grips with is samba - the off beat just confuses my brain and doesn't seem logical to me.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

Awesome, I didn't know there was a thread for this either.

Well, I am an unashamed complete dance addict.

Been dancing all my life, and will continue to do so until the day I die. Dancing is the only time when I am not clumsy, which always amuses others when they find out just how clumsy I am. Dance is probably my only true inborn natural talent, and as such I exploit it to it's full extent by practising daily and when I go on holiday, it usually means a dance holiday where I get to dance for 20-80 hours per week.

When I say addiction, I do mean addiction, I have gone through periods of dancing 7 days per week after work for at least an hour or 2, and anywhere up to 7 on a good night out. I don't drink because it makes spinning on the spot hard lol. The endless amount of patterns in the music I particularly like makes it all the more addictive.

"I'm known to go to to clubs and parties and dance for up to five hours continuously - that, combined with a few rum and cokes, is the best night ever. The only problems I do encounter is when men interpret my moves as a 'come on' and don't quite get it when I tell them to "b*g off, I'm dancing". "

Oh Voyageress, I totally get that. It can be really annoying when they don't "get it", although it can be very amusing for the other regulars who know me and exactly what's going to happen. I wish there was a glow band or something to stop it from happening...

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

Voyageress wrote:
I'm known to go to to clubs and parties and dance for up to five hours continuously - that, combined with a few rum and cokes, is the best night ever. The only problems I do encounter is when men interpret my moves as a 'come on' and don't quite get it when I tell them to "b*g off, I'm dancing".

Oh, I totally hated that! I used to go out dancing when I was younger, and my favorite tune would start to play and I would just start dancing. There was always some dumb guy who thought it was a free for all just because I was dancing alone and would immediately start hitting on me. :?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 9:38 pm

Hum... I'm in a love-hate relationship with dancing. Around here dancing is big, is done in every nightclub, and if you don't know how to dance then it's impossible to approach someone new, or take your date-gf-whatever to a nightclub. I'm a less-than average dancer, especially because it's expected from you how to dance salsa, merengue, vallenato, reggaeton, and electronic. Except electronic, which is basically freestile, each of those has it's own steps and special movements, and as a man I am expected to lead. I got a basic understanding of each of them, but to do actually good (or rather, good enough) I need to inmerse myself completely on it, be it through alcohol or just reaching a certain state of mind. When that happens, I actually have a great time, move well enough, and enjoy every minute of it. On the other hand, if I let my insecurities get the best of me, my dancing skills get a big hit, which makes me more insecure, and can even ruin the night.

Still, I practice every once in a while. If I learn to dance better, it's likely I'll learn to like it better :D

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

hartzofspace wrote:
Voyageress wrote:

Oh, I totally hated that! I used to go out dancing when I was younger, and my favorite tune would start to play and I would just start dancing. There was always some dumb guy who thought it was a free for all just because I was dancing alone and would immediately start hitting on me. :?

really hitting on you or just trying to dance with you?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

rastiazul wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Voyageress wrote:

really hitting on you or just trying to dance with you?

Really hitting on me, as in shouting "What's your phone number?" Or dancing too close and trying to touch me where I didn't want to be touched.

beccah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

[quote="Kady93"]I took beginning ballet in my freshmen year to help with my jazz. Now as a junior, I'm taking Intermediate Jazz B/C. Its a lot of fun, but I really need more practice with my fuotes(spelling?)[/quote]
"fouette";they have how to videos on youtube and itd also be a good idea to check out dance magazines or technique books/videos

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 3:54 pm

I took creative dance and ballet when I was 4 and 5 years old but I wasn't good at certain things. I didn't have very good coordination and motor skills. Also, I was very shy around the other children. I love watching people dance though, I'm just not very good at it.

ticktockpop

02 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

I have always loved dancing and finally this past July I joined a dance crew, and we have been performing together -- and I already did a few solos! This is my latest performance! I am getting better at eye contact with the audience and trying not to let my face scrunch up in spasms. The only problem is I forget my choreography, so at home is always better than in front of people. I get nervous! In my team of dancers no one knows I have Asperger's, they just think I am a really nice lady who loves performing and fixes their garments for them (I can sew).

[youtube]hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFIJo-7rXU&feature=plcpttp://[/youtube]

balletnerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

I love to dance. Obsessed in particular with anything to do with ballet.

I am not particularly talented though - I struggle sometimes with spatial awareness and pirouettes are difficult for me since I easily get dizzy

itzybitzyspyder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2013, 2:18 am

I never learned to dance, but I can dance as well as the person I'm dancing with. I just do a mirror of what they do.

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 3:41 am

Jutty wrote:
Is it uncommon for aspies to be interested in dance and take classes in dance such as ballet, jazz and hip-hop. Is it something you've been obsessed with? I started taking ballet when I was 25 and then about 3 years ago i started jazz & hip-hop too.

No, i danced for 12 years and used to teach ballet, tap, jazz and hip hop. I would still be doing it if my knees didn't crap out on me.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 3:43 pm

For some reason. I hate to dance myself but I do like to make other things dance. Check out this video.

http://youtu.be/jKnmPOB2bWY