Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 10:17 pm

Wow, I can't believe all the replies. Anyone who knows me knows how much I like milk. I used to think I was addicted to it. It's all I would drink, 2% milk, half a litre at a time. I've since kicked the habit and only drink water now. Lost a lot of weight by cutting milk calories out of my diet.

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 3:33 pm

You should try almond milk!. It's really healthy and taste exactly like milk. You get it in the section with the milk.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 3:07 am

Kat15 wrote:
You should try almond milk!. It's really healthy and taste exactly like milk. You get it in the section with the milk.

It really doesn't taste anything like milk... tastes like a cross between soy milk and almonds. Not bad tasting, but saying it tastes exactly like milk is somewhat misleading.

Seanmw wrote:
Although when i'm eating a big bag of Tim's Cascade Style Jalapeno Chips, i can probably go through in excess of a gallon a day, because they're my favorite snack & really good with milk Smile .

I know exactly what you mean :)

introversal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2010, 7:33 pm

I just joined because I think my addiction to milk might be causing me to have autistic tendencies. I've been having trouble getting along at work, and I've noticed that when I limit or eliminate my milk intake I do better. There's a tingling feeling in the back of my head whenever I drink milk, and I've noticed that feeling causes me to become more withdrawn and angry at certain kinds of social interaction (I like having things my way).

I'm into my second day without milk and I have a massive headache right now (though the caffeine I just had might have made it worse). I was just posting because I was wondering if people having given up milk what experiences they might have had. I was also wondering if it was healthy just to have a little bit of milk every now and then to ease the pain. Because I see a lot of Web sites touting gluten-free and casein-free diets to relieve Asperger's/autism symptoms.

I also find it interesting that the foods I liked as a kid also happen to be gluten-free (rice cakes and aramanth especially). I don't know if I can give up wheat entirely, but I am trying to avoid it. I just had some vegan gluten-free mac and cheese though and it was pretty gross. :(

So can autistic people have wheat or milk *every now and then* and still be OK? Do I have a right to be autistic when I've had milk? Should I forego a lot of treats that most people get to indulge in just because I react differently to them? I'm feeling conflicted about the whole thing, but I want to fit in better at work.

Also, almond milk is very tasty. But soy milk is easier to find. I like them both. I first decided to give up milk when I noticed I had trouble sleeping when I had it before bed.

introversal

04 Sep 2010, 7:36 pm

Oh, I don't know if anyone's mentioned yet, but the undigested part of the casein that leaks from your gut (if you have this sensitivity) is a chemical that mimics the effects of morphine(!).

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2010, 8:43 pm

I'm defiantly addicted to milk. So is my family. 8)

pickyeaters
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2010, 2:45 pm

I'm a casting producer for TLC's docu-series "Freaky Eaters." The show chronicles ADULTS with unusual eating habits and/or food addiction. If you or someone you know struggles with a food (or drink) addiction and would like more information on how to apply for the show, please contact REBECCA at 323.904.4680 x1147.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 11:41 pm

I haven't had milk since I was a teenager.Actually the most calcium you get is from plant source.What a lie of this century,that you get calcium from dairy milk!
I love almond milk;usually I have it in oatmeal, put it in smoothies with soy milk.I make sure to have organic brands with no sugar added to them.We don't need sugar in nut milks!

hesting
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2010, 7:17 am

I like milk quite much too. :)

It's my substitute for coffee if I can't have tea and I almost never eat sweet bakery without drinking some milk after.
And sometimes milk is a nice fast snack - I only need to take it from the fridge and put it in a glass. :)

Well, I've never tried soy milk or similar products so far.

TomD1987
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2010, 8:13 am

i also have a strong addiction to milk. i drink around 1-2ltrs a day when im working and on a weekend i can easly go through 3ltrs a day. i have read through all the posts and i agree you can have an addiction to milk. i get a strong feeling to drink some milk and can become quite agitated if i cant have any but when i drink it i get a euphoric feeling and i feel releaved. my girlfrind thinks im crazy for drinking so much but i cant help it and to tell you the truth i enjoy drinking the large amount but i think thats just because of the addiction.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2011, 3:37 pm

maybe not milk, but I am addicted to cheese and it does me a mischief everytime. I think in the opioid sense, it makes me very fuzzy and then sensitive to light and noise. It also gives me insomnia, the type where I have nightmares then wake up in a state and find it difficult to get back to sleep. my guts can stay bad for days afterwards too.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:27 pm

Kat15 wrote:

Look at the nutritional information on the package for almond milk. It has almost no protein. Many soy milks have all the nutritional benefits of milk. I drink both milk and soy milk. Don't think that you have to drink one to the exclusion of the other. This keeps the amounts I drink of either one down to a reasonable level. You could take a melatonin supplement near bedtime to help you sleep, if needed.