Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Teebst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2011, 12:18 pm

Today my therapist said my 3yo is not likely on the spectrum because she "seems pretty agile." I already know this is rubbish, but I would like the opinions of this statement from the more physically blessed aspies. Thank you.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2011, 1:31 pm

Denis Rodman has Asperger's and he's an athlete. He's probably very agile.
I was a student in a class with only young people with Asperger's and while most of us were kinda clumsy, there was two guys that were pretty good at sports. Agile people with ASD are definitly not unheard of.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 3:40 pm

Autism does not automatically affect coordination. Your daughter could still be on the spectrum but actually be naturally blessed with gravitational awareness.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

I am pretty agile :D

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:09 pm

I am kinda stiff and klutzy but am quite agile.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 12:37 pm

I think being agile at the age of 3 probably means that the kid does not have AS. I wasn't agile until I got older. I'm actually a pretty good athlete now, but I was very clumsy as a kid

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 4:18 pm

It's a spectrum with many factors. Most people have some factors and not others.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 4:26 pm

IIRC, Donna Williams mentions being agile as a child in one of her books.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 9:41 am

Peko wrote:
Autism does not automatically affect coordination. Your daughter could still be on the spectrum but actually be naturally blessed with gravitational awareness.

yes something me and probably most ASDers are not blessed with

all i know is im an accident waiting to happen i especially hate my English class i always cut my side on the corner of the marker tray on the whiteboard it really hurts but i gotta go passed it to get to my desk

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2011, 3:48 pm

i am agile when i am focussed and clumsy quite a lot of the rest of the time. i have been told that i move with a natural grace, (i kind of glide) but that doesn't matter much when I am constantly walking into door frames and yesterday i fell down stairs pretty spectacularly too.

technically you can be agile and have AS but there would be many other factors. maybe if you are very specific about the difficulties you feel your daughter is having and ask the therapist to help with those.