Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 10:00 am

I get severe anxiety over things related to college/university. It feels like torture, and I'm not sure if it's worth it for a degree. I tried to kill myself once because of it.

I have to go for a week long summer school in England, and I don't know if I could cope for that long, being away from home, around strangers, etc. :cry:

I don't like feeling like I'm being tortured. :cry:

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2011, 10:42 am

question: do you see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist? and do you take anything for anxiety/depression?

theres lots of ways you can try to make things easier for yourself to get a degree, but without much of any background knowledge its kind of hard to give suggestions...

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

k2magic wrote:
question: do you see a psychiatrist and/or psychologist? and do you take anything for anxiety/depression?

theres lots of ways you can try to make things easier for yourself to get a degree, but without much of any background knowledge its kind of hard to give suggestions...

I saw a psychiatrist and psychologist a few years ago for depression and social anxiety. They have both discharged me now though.

I take 37.5mg Effexor for depression, but I have increased the dose to 75mg, which seems to help a little.

The university provides me with a study support mentor, who helps me with organisation, etc, but I still get anxiety.

Usually when I ask for advice about this people tell me to keep studying as a degree is worth it in the end, etc. I am well aware of how valuable a degree can be, but I don't know if it is worth this suffering...

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2011, 11:42 pm

wblastyn wrote:
I saw a psychiatrist and psychologist a few years ago for depression and social anxiety. They have both discharged me now though.

I take 37.5mg Effexor for depression, but I have increased the dose to 75mg, which seems to help a little.

The university provides me with a study support mentor, who helps me with organisation, etc, but I still get anxiety.

Usually when I ask for advice about this people tell me to keep studying as a degree is worth it in the end, etc. I am well aware of how valuable a degree can be, but I don't know if it is worth this suffering...

have you considered going back to a psychologist? and or changing your medication?
what the anxiety from? just all the course work in general? or something specific?

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 2:02 am

You should go back and see a therapist, if possible and try to explore WHY you are having severe anxiety about this and what positive steps you can do to fix this. Also if your physical symptoms get very bad or worse or if you have a panic attack you should see a doctor to discuss your medication.