Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:30 am

You probably have a very good long term memory so you always have to dig into your brain to find whatever you search for, it takes time but it's very good to have it cause you could be way more intelligent and give way better answers than the folks who answer right away and don't think before they do.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

truthseeker124
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2016, 7:52 pm

Definitely not the only one. Not too sure if my experience is too helpful- I don't have any kind of official diagnosis or anything other than ADHD and what my doctors think is possibly a mood disorder. However, it feels as though I am always jumping around in time in my head. When people ask me a question...spoken/verbally it takes me quite a while to respond. Within me I get this feeling that I know what I want to say but for whatever reason I cannot convey this through words easily. What I really want is there to be one word that I could just quickly shout that encompasses exactly what I mean and feel so I can get it out quick. I get a bit self conscious about this delay so I try my best to jump out and say something quickly but it always ends up just being like a sound or random awkward movement.

Reaction time to things is especially bad if I am not focusing or waiting for something to happen. I.e.) if a phone rings from across the room I won't notice it or I won't spring to action in time...I might hear it but for some reason don't think oh yeah I need to run over to that right now to get it until after a few rings. However, if the phone rings while in my hand I'll answer right away.

I also have a really hard time keeping score in table games..for instance ping pong...I always forget what the last score was and so always go to start the next point and have to stop and realize that I don't know the score...take a minute to remember...and then start again.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

I possess excellent ability to react to the environment, I mess around with my dog a lot who is frenetic as a kite in a hurricane which helps keep me sharp, I also do yoga and mental exercises and run through weird apocalyptic or threatening scenarios and run through how I'd react mentally and physically so I guess it translates to my general reactionary reflex, I also hike and imagine I'm about to be abducted by aliens, pounced on by a bear or escaped circus lion or knifed by a lunatic, I pay for my hyper vigilance and sensory issues by being too coiled up but it also means I am able to spring.

Beryllium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2016, 8:16 am

Hello!
I have really slow reaction times too. I've always assumed that it links in with the whole "poor motor skills" thing. It led to me getting bullied lots when I was stuck playing sports as a child. Nowadays the main setback I have from it is how it makes me anxious. I'll be really nervous to perform a tritiation (science procedure) because it involves having a fast reaction time, but my coworkers (I'm still a student, but that's how I think of both my peers and teachers) will help me calm down and won't get angry if I have to do it twenty times. My summary is; just wait, eventually you'll find the right people who aren't bothered by it.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2016, 10:39 am

When I was in a shop last year, someone asked if I collect snow globes. My sister said "she does", and I was still standing there wondering what he had said. It probably took about four seconds. That doesn't happen very often, but it does sometimes.

It takes me longer to do everything than it does for other people. No one in my family knows why it takes me so long, and they complain about it. I don't know how they can be so fast, and I think if it doesn't take them long, they mustn't be doing it properly. I have never liked being fast.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2016, 6:39 pm

I don't think that too many people know about this condition . Here I had just thought that it was something made up for comedic effect , like in this sketch I saw . It must be awkward for real . Learned something new .