Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2016, 4:37 pm

Ever since my wife got sick, I've been having a lot of troubling handling my Major Depressive Disorder. I've kept it under control for years using medication but now it's becoming a serious problem again. I am having trouble determining whether people really are disappointed in me and looking down on me or whether it's just in my head.

Any good suggestions for how to handle Major Depressive Disorder in daily life? Seeing a therapist is not an option at this point because my new health insurance won't kick in for at least another month.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:53 pm

I've tried 12 anti-depressants so far in the past 10 years, and only 4 worked, minimally, and all of those stopped working within like 3 months tops except for Paxil which I think worked for about 8 months. Nearly all of the anti-depressants came with side effects, and they at best helped like 30%, leaving much to be desired.

I've found exercise, and taking 4000-5000 IU of vitamin D everyday to help the most. Vitamin D came with no side effects so long as I take it with food, otherwise it causes some pretty bad heartburn. It has kept working since January of this year, reliably keeping my mood at or slightly above neutral 85% of the time despite enduring some very depressing life circumstances.

I also use a mix of coping tools from CBT, DBT and ACT which help make my mood less vulnerable to depressing/stressful life situations which help a bit. Any of which you could get a workbook and learn it yourself. That is just what works for me.

Having someone to talk to can help as well, even if it is just someone on 7cupsoftea to act as a pressure release valve so you don't bottle everything up inside.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 7:33 am

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Are you having suicidal ideation?

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2016, 9:29 pm

Noca wrote:
I've tried 12 anti-depressants so far in the past 10 years, and only 4 worked, minimally, and all of those stopped working within like 3 months tops except for Paxil which I think worked for about 8 months. Nearly all of the anti-depressants came with side effects, and they at best helped like 30%, leaving much to be desired.

I've found exercise, and taking 4000-5000 IU of vitamin D everyday to help the most. Vitamin D came with no side effects so long as I take it with food, otherwise it causes some pretty bad heartburn. It has kept working since January of this year, reliably keeping my mood at or slightly above neutral 85% of the time despite enduring some very depressing life circumstances.

I also use a mix of coping tools from CBT, DBT and ACT which help make my mood less vulnerable to depressing/stressful life situations which help a bit. Any of which you could get a workbook and learn it yourself. That is just what works for me.

Having someone to talk to can help as well, even if it is just someone on 7cupsoftea to act as a pressure release valve so you don't bottle everything up inside.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I do exercise several days a week for several hours per day, because I work a side-job teaching kids martial arts, but even that wasn't helping my mood enough. I followed your suggestion and got a CBT workbook. A few years back, when I was in therapy before my depression improved, my therapist had used a book with me called "Mind Over Mood". I found a copy of it online and I am now three chapters into it. I think this could really help.

I will look into getting vitamin D too. Thanks.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2016, 9:31 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your wife.

Are you having suicidal ideation?

I am not suicidal, just really, really depressed. I've been feeling a lot like I'm worthless and nobody likes/loves me. I don't spend much time with friends anymore and I've cut myself off from social media because I was using it to act out my frustrations too much. I just started a new job and I'm concerned that my mood will cause me to get fired if I can't improve it soon.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 9:48 pm

PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
Noca wrote:

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I do exercise several days a week for several hours per day, because I work a side-job teaching kids martial arts, but even that wasn't helping my mood enough. I followed your suggestion and got a CBT workbook. A few years back, when I was in therapy before my depression improved, my therapist had used a book with me called "Mind Over Mood". I found a copy of it online and I am now three chapters into it. I think this could really help.

I will look into getting vitamin D too. Thanks.

CBT works best for irrational or distorted thoughts such as the "Im a loser" or "nobody likes me" common with depression/anxiety while DBT helps you deal with extreme emotions, while ACT helps you deal with life situations that really do suck that you cannot change, and helps you cope with them better through acceptance and mindfulness.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 2:50 am

PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
I am not suicidal, just really, really depressed. I've been feeling a lot like I'm worthless and nobody likes/loves me. I don't spend much time with friends anymore and I've cut myself off from social media because I was using it to act out my frustrations too much. I just started a new job and I'm concerned that my mood will cause me to get fired if I can't improve it soon.

Well, it's hard to snap yourself out of depression. Don't react to the negative self-talk. Think of the thoughts as annoying bugs and challenge the negative with positive evidence of your worth.
If you are successful at your job perhaps you will be able to afford antidepressants.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2016, 1:44 pm

I am up to chapter 6 already in "Mind Over Mood". A lot is coming back to me from the therapy sessions I had a few years ago that led to my depression going into remission. This is actually kind of like getting a second dose of the sessions I already paid for, because it's helping me remember how I beat the depression before. I really think this could work if I stick with it.

Cintakmarka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2016, 8:34 pm

I'm on the Autism Spectrum, High Functioning, Asperger's
I have Major Depressive Disorder as well. I'm on meds for it.
Have stopped taking my meds in the past without doctors approval
Had horrible withdrawl symptoms dizziness, nausea, and lose of appetite.
almost ended up back in the hospital for it. thankfully my parents saw changes
in my behaviours and I was put back on meds, by doctors orders
Ever time I went off them, I had to start again from a low dose.
I didn't notice changes myself but family would and shared their concerns
and could tell when I was off. I now know why I have to take meds.
I'm stable and can function properly.