Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 7:18 pm

I posted this back in The Haven because I thought I'd get the information I needed. Wrong.
I don't know, when you've fought for so long, but I'm so tired. Ugh. Anyway...

Alright, I'll explain. Short story is: Unhealthy type 6 aspie going into meltdown. Again.

Now, I know that really, no-one is completely anon on the internet. IP and all that give the game away. But, I've tried before & got nothing. At least this site can act as a cover I can use. What I'm asking for is:

Is there a way around the system for an admission into a CMHT?

I've already figured my pseudonym will be blown the minute they ask for me for any form of ID or test, but to at least get in the door will be an accomplishment.

Most normal routes use referrals through a GP. That's not going to happen. Now, I know there's a private service I can pay for if absolutely neccessary, but I'd rather not.

The only piece of advice I had last time was to plain lie at the front desk, which I have no problems with, other than it most likely won't work.

I'm not asking for bullet-proof guarantee, but better odds, because I'll take the 1% risk right now. Of course, any admission into CMHT shuts many doors, but I've already ditched any hope of any worthwhile career, so really it's only protecting the family name I've got to worry about. That's where my pseudonym comes in, by the way,

So, is there a way around the system or am I going private in another county with my trusty pseudonym?

Ta,
J,

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm

What's CMHT? What's type 6 aspie?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 10:40 pm

MountainLaurel wrote:
What's CMHT? What's type 6 aspie?

This, and where are you at?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 3:42 am

I added the enneagram as a handy notice to the er, erratic & confusing style of my post.
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typesix.asp

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthin ... teams.aspx

Can't post location. Sorry.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

I remember that quiz LOL I'm a type 5.
Anyway have you already tried contacting someone from your mental health services to try and get CMHT? If yes then how did that go? If you haven't I suggest trying. All you have to do explain to them that you have an Autism spectrum disorder and that you feel it's difficult to function on your own. If you don't have a job or are already getting government disability funding I imagine that might make it easier.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 7:36 pm

No, I haven't contacted anyone due to the fact I don't trust, like or feel comfortable around my current GP. I have been advised to switch but the problem is, I've been with this surgery since I was born, more or less, and all my family are with the same surgery and GP - although he has retired many years ago, we were adopted by some other chump who's the problem.

It doesn't make it any easier when your family & social circle work within the medical circles either. The thing is, while some of them are known to be gossipy and clique-minded, they've never actually broke any of the false bait I gave them and do keep some stuff on the quiet.

So I've never spoken to anyone about this - out of the safety of the internet, nor got any official diagnosis. I don't have any mental health worker or support system, minus the only other person I know who has a MH issue as well as me.

As for employment, I'm lucky enough to be employed on a part time basis. As I've said though, I doubt that I'd be kept in it if I were to disclose my hand, so to speak.

It's not that I can't function on my own. It's that I'm tired of fighting and all the other crap that comes with Aspergers. Give me a reset switch anyday.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I'm in the US and can't technically answer your question; but some of your concerns are surprising to me. I'll explain:

I work on the periphery of the health care system here. We have serious laws about the privacy of individuals' health information called HIPPA (health information portability and privacy act). Everyone in health care is trained in HIPPA. Everyone; not just Doctors and Pharmacists; but also Doctors' receptionists, pharmacy cashiers, pharmacy store managers, hospital aids, health insurance claims associates, social workers, IT personnel and everyone in the psychology field. Everyone who is in any position to see hospital charts, doctors' records, drug prescriptions, psychological diagnoses or any health diagnoses.

We are all trained in these strict privacy rules and are re-educated yearly. The penalties for violating patient privacy laws are stiff; including: job termination, civil fines, stiff fines for businesses and institutions wherein violations occur, all the way up to arrest and imprisonment for intentional and egregious violations. Believe me; the temptation for health workers to be gossipy about any individual's health information has been eliminated. NO ONE wants to seriously risk their job or professional credentials in order to gossip.

Business and institutions are not allowed to inquire of applicants and employees about any diagnosis or health issue except for a short list of highly communicable diseases.

You might be doing yourself a big favor by checking into the laws in your country governing individual health information privacy. Could the laws concerning health information privacy in European countries be so different from the US? (By the way these laws are relatively new; enacted in 2000. Old school health information gossip has been effectively supplanted by The Privacy Rule.)

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

I'm confused. I think you are in the UK. Are you trying to gain access to mental health services bypassing a GP who you don't like? You can change you GP - you don't need a reason, you can just ask another practice which covers where you live to accept you onto their list.

Involvement with the mental health industry does close doors to you. You can use an NHS walk in centre for a minor injury under a false name and 'no fixed abode' easily enough, but to maintain a fictitious identity in dealings with the mental health industry would be much more of an achievement. I think it would be legal, provided you are resident in the UK and therefore entitled to NHS services.

You should only be concerned with doors it will close to you - it won't be an issue to your family. I've had to disclose the circumstances around the death of a parent with mental health issues in connection with life insurance and have not had a problem.

You are wise to be considering the possible consequences before making contact with the mental health industry. Are you also thinking about what you want from them, and whether it could be achieved in a different way? Going private in another country would cost you a fortune (and maybe you could spend that money in other ways which would benefit your mental health), may present language and cultural difficulties and might expose you to a system you know little about. What would you do if foreign health care system decided that you needed treating against your wishes?

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:57 am

Thanks for the replies.

I know all about the legal issues about confidentality, but, I still don't trust the system or the people in it.

Changing surgery is a quick fix. However, I've had the same surgery since I was born & my family are with the same surgery. If I were to change & I needed to disclose details or whatever, explaining all the bloody questions I would get is not worth the hassle. Besides, I don't know for certain whether my new doctor would be any better - impossible not to be - but still, you know?

Yeah, I've given up any hope of a decent career down this route. The only thing worth saving is the Family name as it's well respected in medical circles and we know a lot of people in the system already.

I've never said Country, but County. I live near enough to several other counties that are within reasonable transport distance - I'm wondering if it might be better to go over to a different county either privately or NHS.

What do I want from them? I don't know. I'm just tired.

qwan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 8:00 am

J-Greens wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I know all about the legal issues about confidentality, but, I still don't trust the system or the people in it.

Changing surgery is a quick fix. However, I've had the same surgery since I was born & my family are with the same surgery. If I were to change & I needed to disclose details or whatever, explaining all the bloody questions I would get is not worth the hassle. Besides, I don't know for certain whether my new doctor would be any better - impossible not to be - but still, you know?

Yeah, I've given up any hope of a decent career down this route. The only thing worth saving is the Family name as it's well respected in medical circles and we know a lot of people in the system already.

I've never said Country, but County. I live near enough to several other counties that are within reasonable transport distance - I'm wondering if it might be better to go over to a different county either privately or NHS.

What do I want from them? I don't know. I'm just tired.

Try the National Autistic Society, [http://www.autism.org.uk/] they should be able to advise you, either online or on the phone.
And if you're within the West Midlands; Autism West Midlands might be useful too.
If those aren't desirable, could you not try using a counselling service that accepts self referral? They won't be able to refer you to a CMHT but they might be able to help you when you're feeling overwhelmed. Waiting lists are long (I've experienced an 18 month and a 4 year wait before...) and that's with the GP referral. Private counselling will be faster because you're paying though.
Quote:
http://www.autism.org.uk/Web Page NameWeb Page Name