Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2013, 10:03 am

Why is such a stigma about personality disorders? No one chose it. Those people are called messed up. :(

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

I'm guessing it's the ones that are prone to harming others that bring the stigma. Antisocial and Narcissistic PD as examples (I think the latter was moved into something else recently).

No one really says negative things about Schizoid PD, for example.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

Dillogic wrote:
I'm guessing it's the ones that are prone to harming others that bring the stigma. Antisocial and Narcissistic PD as examples (I think the latter was moved into something else recently).

But even these people need rather help that stigma. And I don´t think they necessarily have tu hurt others.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

I virtually never post in this BTSP forum, but I will answer the question. I personally have been hurt by borderline personality individuals - they shamelessly cheat, lie, manipulative and bully to get their way and are fully cognisant of doing so, and all without giving a care who they run over in the process. Their promises are hollow because they are hollow. They're socially crafty enough to rip up relationships, ruin jobs and destroy lives. That's why I cannot feel empathy for them - they're toxic.

I have a great deal of compassion for mentally ill individuals - I've seen people struggle with depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc. And I am sorry for them. Many of them have shown a great deal of strength and insight to deal with their illness.

Alternatively, personality disordered individuals are just downright scary. The best tactic in dealing with them is to leave them alone, away from their wrecking ball damage. That's why.

Mike89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2013, 1:17 pm

People fear what they do not understand.

I think it can be that simple sometimes. Certainly the media does not do anything to help.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

LabPet wrote:
I virtually never post in this BTSP forum, but I will answer the question. I personally have been hurt by borderline personality individuals - they shamelessly cheat, lie, manipulative and bully to get their way and are fully cognisant of doing so, and all without giving a care who they run over in the process. Their promises are hollow because they are hollow. They're socially crafty enough to rip up relationships, ruin jobs and destroy lives. That's why I cannot feel empathy for them - they're toxic.

I have a great deal of compassion for mentally ill individuals - I've seen people struggle with depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc. And I am sorry for them. Many of them have shown a great deal of strength and insight to deal with their illness.

Alternatively, personality disordered individuals are just downright scary. The best tactic in dealing with them is to leave them alone, away from their wrecking ball damage. That's why.

I have a co-worker like the above description. She makes everyone pay for her misery. Abusing people is a hobby of her's. I used to go into work and she would tell me how she took all the overtime so other people could not have it. A married man wanted to work overtime on Saturdays. She chuckled saying she took all the Saturday overtime except Valentine's day. She kept coming after me accusing me of things. They finally arranged times so we pretty much do not interact. It seemed the only thing she enjoyed was going after people (they did nothing wrong; they were nice people).

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm

People here forget that mental illnesses can cause personality deterioration that resembles that of the personality disorders. Pretty much, severe mental illness is going to interfere with your personality development. Here's how schizophrenia can cause personality deterioration, which is compared to psychopathy:

Quote:
There is now good evidence that personality factors mediate criminality in schizophrenia (Moran et al, 2003; Nolan et al, 1999; Moran & Hodgins, 2004; Tengström et al, 2004). In part the association has been obscured by the terminology used to describe the vulnerabilities in personality of people with schizophrenia as opposed to offenders. The psychopathic traits of recidivist offenders glory in labels such as lack of remorse, novelty-seeking, impulsivity and callousness. In contrast, the personality damage seen in schizophrenia attracts descriptions such as shallow affect, lack of empathy, lack of realistic long-term goals, irresponsibility, grandiose self-worth and oversensitivity. In fact both groups can be irritable, dissocial, unconcerned about (or blind to) the feelings and interests of others, grandiose, suspicious and negative, can hold unrealistic beliefs of entitlement and fail to learn from experience. Central to the emergence of violence are both the type of person in whom the psychosis manifests and the deleterious effects of the schizophrenic process on their personality.

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/12/4/239.full

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 2:33 pm

Mike89 wrote:

I do not fear any personality disordered individual and I understand it just fine......that's why I choose not to engage them. They are toxic and leave a trail of their destruction. And certainly no compassion for them.

Mike89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

LabPet wrote:
Mike89 wrote:

I do not fear any personality disordered individual and I understand it just fine......that's why I choose not to engage them. They are toxic and leave a trail of their destruction. And certainly no compassion for them.

OCPD is regularly labelled as a personality disorder. Is that toxic and dangerous? The suffering caused by that condition is more personal than environmental.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

Mike89 wrote:
OCPD is regularly labelled as a personality disorder. Is that toxic and dangerous? The suffering caused by that condition is more personal than environmental.

There's also Avoidant Personality Disorder and Paranoid Personality Disorder.
Dillogic wrote:
No one really says negative things about Schizoid PD, for example.

Yes, but when people hear the word Schizoid, they think of Schizophrenia, which they associate with Sociopathy.

Last edited by Mike1 on 18 Jun 2013, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

Most people with Asperger's will have some traits of various personality disorders. I know I have various traits of several of them but I think they are more symptoms of my other diagnoses. I think what the OP is referring to is the cluster B personality disorders. (antisocial, narcissistic, borderline, and histrionic.) I have known several people with these diagnoses and not everyone can deal with these people because of their behaviors. You have to set serious boundries with these people and I would not recommend dealing with them if you are emotionally sensitive. That said I do think its a shame that these people are often denied treatment because of their diagnosis. They are usually thought to be untreatable because they often do not want to change. That is not always the case though. While these disorders are usually permanent some people with them will realize how it is causing problems in their life and work on their behavior.
It may be impossible for someone to change the way they think, but it is very possible for someone to change how they behave.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

LabPet wrote:
Mike89 wrote:

woud actualy second everything have said on both posts labpet.
the female wp user that had been groomed by,severely bullied,threatened and stalked by for several years until was a suicidal wreck with severe major depression and paranoid schizophrenia; was none other than a male with severe borderline pd/narc pd/pyschopathic tendencies,he preyed on mental illness support and learning/developmental disability forums,emulated users disability experiences to appear a vulnerable brave stereotype,and bullied them when his jealousy overtook his patience.

to any one who preys on other peoples vulnerabilities and takes advantage of that,have got nothing but disgust for them.

to those with PDs who are genuinely trying to help themselves change,who dont impact toxicity upon others,these are the guys have got respect for.
the main problematic PDs are AsPD/BPD/histrionic/narcisisticPD [still in the ICD].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 8:46 pm

LabPet wrote:
Mike89 wrote:

Not all personality disorders are toxic. Personality disorder does not imply manipulative.

I think the stigma to do with personality disorders is really more to do with a specific group of them labeled Cluster B Personality disorders (Antisocial, Narcissist, Histrionic, and Borderline) as they tend to manifest in persistent emotional (and physical in the case of Antisocial) damage to people around them who are supposed to be their loved ones. Although I think Boderline people are the least damaging among them and are relatively easy to treat.

But other personality disorders aren't really so bad. People with AvPD (avoidant) are pleasant to be with ... when they're not shut down from everyone, that is. And schizoids don't give a f**k about trying to revenge and hurt others (like Narcissists do).

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 9:31 pm

I have a cluster A diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder (for borderline schizophrenia), but I do not believe I am like how things are described here.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2013, 11:57 pm

I think no one should be judged and hated for something what is not a choice. Try to imagine you are in their shoes. It could have happened to you too.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 12:54 am

beneficii wrote:
I have a cluster A diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder (for borderline schizophrenia), but I do not believe I am like how things are described here.

I've also tendencies of schizotypal PD and I'm shocked about some statements about PDs here. 8O

Many autistics themselfs have traits especially of OCPD, schizoid PD, AvPD or schizotypal PD.
Also some similar symptoms like in Borderline PD, paranoid PD and dependent PD are common.

I also wanted to mention that a friend of mine has Borderline traits, but she isn't at all the manipulative type and would never hurt someone, but has instead huge trouble regulating her emotions.