Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

theoddone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2013, 8:07 pm

Most recently when I was working on a drawing for my mythology class on Tantalus and in one section I drew fruit trees bearing apples. After I inked everything, I laid it down to take a break, and I was looking at it and I started to see colors in the leafy parts and apples but no where else. The leaves were green and the apples were a warm red, and I had not colored anything in yet. Everytime I looked at it the colors faded back in and it was the same colors in the same place. This isn't the first time things like this happened. Another incidence was back in middle school mostly where I'd being reading the rule handbook in the adgendas the school would hand out. During the studyhalls and homerooms we'd have 15 minutes in the beginning where we had to read, and I usually didn't have a book on me since I wasn't a very avid reader so I read the rules/basic info sections of these yearbooks, and I'd sometimes read the school's period schedules out of pure boredom and also because it gave me a count down until I got out of school for the day. Many times when I read the schedules, the periods would all become colorful and in order of the rainbow. It was as if they had typed the schedule out with each period being a different color in the ROYGBIV order, however when I snapped myself out of it, the schedule went back black and white. I often then became confused as to what just happened. Then as a little kid I used to give names to specific arrangements to power cables. I actually remeber the name of one was mimi (pronounced me-me) and it was always one power cable by itself, it was my second favorite kind next to the one that has three running horizontally which I forget the name to. I'm not sure if any of these fall under realm of synesthesia or if I have a mild form of it. I am also an Aspie so I'm not sure if that makes it more likely for me to have synesthesia or not. I just want to get the opinion of those who have the conditon or a great knowledge of the condition.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm

It might be possible. I guess it could come in various degrees the same way Aspergers does.. I don't have synesthesia in any significant way but sometimes when I see a TV on mute it's sort of like I can still here it faintly.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 2:23 am

Nearly everyone has some traits of synethesia, just having many traits of it so that you notice it in your dayly activities is rare.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 1:44 am

I'd hesitate to describe what you're experiencing as synaesthesia. Intensely imaging colours onto drawings doesn't sound like any recognised form of synaesthesia, and nor does suddenly visualising colours in place of black and white.

Synaesthesia is more associative than that.

For instance, if you associated and involuntarily visualised certain colours corresponding to certain letters of the alphabet, then that would be a recognised form of synaesthesia. Or if those letters had taste associations, for example.

The characteristic quality of synaesthesia is that one particular stimulus evokes another so strongly that the two sensations can be taken as co-equivalent.

What you're describing sounds too generalised and unpredictable.

In my own case, I perceive sounds as shapes. I couldn't possibly demonstrate this to a third party, but what I can tell is that certain types of sounds are persistently perceived as certain types of shapes, and that some overwhelming sounds impinge upon me as though they were physical objects.

I also (to a lesser degree) have coloured letters (A is red, B is black C is yellow, and so on).

Perhaps if you investigate the sensations you're experiencing, you might be able to discern some pattern in them. But until it's established as repeatable and consistent, it's probably not synaesthesia.