Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Giant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

I have AS, depression, and ADD. My psychiatrist has proposed Abilify to treat my depression because I haven't responded to traditional anti-depressants so far (I've tried Prozac, Cipralex, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta and Imipramine). I've never taken any antipsychotic drugs before and I'm kind of wary of using a drug for something other than it's intended purpose. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I'm kind of sceptical about it. Is it really beneficial for people with AS, and if so how? Also, does it help with social anxiety?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Had bad experiences with the 5 antipsychotics I tried including Abilify. I can't remember what reaction was what but I remember none were good. And then they are hard to get off smoothly. Sorry, not much help. I should have kept a medication journal from the start.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2011, 5:48 pm

I knew a girl who really hated Abilify, reckoned it was making her stupid and they her psychiatrist made her take it because he was afraid of intelligent women. Most of hers went down the toilet - she had to pretend to be taking it.

Happily she's now off all meds and back in college.

Pram
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

I didn't like Abilify. I was on it for a touch of OCD, and it made me feel distracted from being distracted... If that makes sense. It was a very odd feeling. I also didn't have any emotional highs or lows. Being a passionate person, that's not for me. I want to feel joy and sorrow...When appropriate. That's part of the human experience.

sagecallyluna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2012, 10:45 pm

My 12 year old son took abilify for 4 years (small dosage 2-5 mg) and it was impossible to get off the medication. Only one he was on and he became overly agitated when trying to come off it quickly (cut in half for 2 weeks and then stop it altogether). And so we had to spread out the weaning off process to 3 months and that worked much better...BUT the DR. never told us to do that and told us to just stop taking it......with no additional help on how to do it.'

The 3 months wean off abilify process works. I hate this medication for my son. It made him look as though he was in a zone at times and also decreased his mental awareness. It did help with anxiety though....and so when weaning off abilify quickly, anxiety level rises significantly. MUST get off VERY slowly......1/2 mg. decrease every 4 weeks.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

The very first dose I took made me react badly I got extremely tired and confused. All I could do was sleep it off until it left my system.

hoegaandit
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm

My wife who is schizophrenic took abilify and it was an absolute disaster as it did not control her delusional thinking. That said she did seem to like it and it made her happy in a spaced out sort of way. As you are depressed and other medication does not appear to have helped, I can't see why you shouldn't try it.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 10:28 pm

I liked it's mental effects, but it made me violently sick and nauseous.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jul 2012, 12:14 am

I was on & off Abilify for about 5 years(I think) after a mental breakdown & suffering psychotic depression. I tried a few other anti-psychotics but most of them made me sick. Abilify was about the only one I could tolerate for an extended period & I was on the lowest dose. I had lots of problems on it thou. I had ticks/twitches, it was harder for me to focus, my mouth was dry a lot. I have a tremor disorder thou & other medication especially Abilify made a lot worse. I was on other meds at the time thou so combination could of had an affect as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Blondstrom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

I'm on it right now, but I haven't been for very long. It seems alright, I don't have very many side effects, if any. I've heard mixed stories about it, but everyone is different. My doctor didn't want to put me back on an old-school anti-psychotic because of how I reacted to them, but it was clear I needed something.

I have tourette syndrome as well as anxiety/depression issues and it hasn't really made it worse for me. It's probably made it better because a lot of my tics were stress-related.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

I've done really well on Abilify. I take it in combination with Effexor. I haven't had any bad reactions to it - I think it's great!