Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

My psychologist is telling me he thinks I don't have Asperger's but Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I definitely don't have magical thinking or anything related. I have a cousin who has schizophrenia but I don't know if it's on our side. I do have derealization and had depersonalization but that was from a bad drug trip. I still have it 10 months later. I had a traumatic experience and my psychiatrist thinks I have panic disorder. My psychiatrist said schizotypal and asperger's symptoms are almost the same.

I'm a little pissed off because I was "diagnosed with Asperger's" while I was inpatient. Now, in outpatient, I'm told different information. It's f*****g frustrating.

I really don't see myself as extreme Asperger's. Maybe very mild.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm

what changed there diagnosis

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm

It's also frustrating because he is judging me based on being able to talk to other individuals in the group. He said he had an Asperger's guy once and I don't act like him. f**k, I'm having a hard time socializing and finally get a couple sentences into a conversation after finding a relation with another individual and now I don't have Asperger's. Apparently the test I took (which was sh***y anyways) didn't come back with definite Asperger's. But yet I was diagnosed with it. This guy is pissing me off, although I really respect and like him.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:29 pm

Yet I was told the tests came back positive and now he is sounding contradictory.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2012, 10:35 pm

thats the thing Aspergers people are not like one another its a spectrum disorder its hard to pin down

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:42 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
He said he had an Asperger's guy once and I don't act like him.

Whoa, I think that's the problem there. He had one patient with Asperger's once and is assessing you negatively on that data alone. Professional fail, IMO.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 11:00 pm

It really gets my goat when people say, "You don't look like this or that guy so you don't have Asperger's." What part of Spectrum do they not get! It makes me want to hurl! Arrgghh!! !

shelovesHim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2012, 11:53 pm

Asperger and autism starts out in childhood, from cradle even. Did your symptoms start at adult age? Some Biologists believe that autism is a pediatric disorder. Although many symptoms are grown out as time goes by.

If you find a group that specifically talks about your narrow interests. You become more social. Autism is made of poor social skills and not "no social life"; many disorders ´cause isolation, for instance: schozophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. Therapist and psychiatrists are there to help you to come out of it.

I, for exemple, have a social life. But I STIM, I think in pattern and have narrow interests.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 12:17 am

I honestly don't know. Maybe it's all in my head. I always had a problem with social skills. When I was younger I was bullied and I got into trouble a lot. My mom said I was always agitated and frustrated. She thought I had ADD when I was younger but I didn't. I've always had a problem with eye contact. My mother used to grab my head hard to force me to look at her. I didn't have any friends until college. I became much more social in college because we talked about academics. I've become obsessed with math and business.

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

I suggest going with the professional's opinion over your own. It's his job to know these things.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:28 am

bizboy1 wrote:
My psychologist is telling me he thinks I don't have Asperger's but Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I definitely don't have magical thinking or anything related. I have a cousin who has schizophrenia but I don't know if it's on our side. I do have derealization and had depersonalization but that was from a bad drug trip. I still have it 10 months later. I had a traumatic experience and my psychiatrist thinks I have panic disorder. My psychiatrist said schizotypal and asperger's symptoms are almost the same.

I'm a little pissed off because I was "diagnosed with Asperger's" while I was inpatient. Now, in outpatient, I'm told different information. It's f***ing frustrating.

I really don't see myself as extreme Asperger's. Maybe very mild.

Schizotypal Personality Disorder, and AS are not almost the same and I think it would be difficult to confuse one for another. Perhaps your doctor meant Schizoid Personality Disorder. AS and Schizoid Personality Disorder can appear similar to the outside observer because both individuals may seem introverted and aloof, however that's where the similarity ends. Schizoid Personality Disorder is actually very complex. Individuals are either described as not having much in the way of emotions, a desire to be alone, and apathetic, to having a large degree of social paranoia and having a preference for fantasies, over reality, in which they live out normal aspects of daily life in the safe, controlled environment of their head.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:58 am

Go to an autism expert and ask for his/her opinion.

I also think that schizotypal personality disorder and autism are related.
Also schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and autism are very closely related.

In the end your diagnoses doesn't change who you are! :wink:

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2012, 8:04 am

Perhaps you should find another professional and seek his/her opinion.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 8:59 am

bizboy1 wrote:

i think that schizotypal personality disorder is almost diametrically opposite to asperger syndrome.

my mind is not called upon by higher orders. i do not believe in what i can not measure (except for god).

i see things from purely my own subjective reference .
i am not not able to think in "magical ways" (like "karma" and "luck" etc), and i simply could never believe that any other force than my own life force is in control of my mind.
i may be a "schizoid" (look it up) personality type but i am not deluded.

i think you should ignore what what you consider to be untrue (if you trust your wits).

i have nothing else to add.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2012, 10:16 am

b9 you are right i had the same outlook as you till i came to the conclusion i had restricted interests and repetitive behaviors that's when i found out about Asperger's syndrome

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

BreezeGod wrote:
I suggest going with the professional's opinion over your own. It's his job to know these things.

Based on what the OP has said of this professionals opinion, I say he ought to stick with the first professionals opinion and their agreement with it. Professionals are not always right and can make mistakes as well you know.