Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm

Metrosexual
""" from the Urban Dictionary
A new name for something quite old. Men with taste & style who know about fashion, art, and culture have always existed. In past centuries, these kinds of men were in the uppercrust of society (more leisure time). Technology has enabled men with more leisure time, so less wealthy males can now fuss over their looks and aesthetics almost as much as women. An American Metrosexual is like your average European male. In France or Italy, men can be manly and work on cars and know about art and fashion at the same time. They are cool with that and don't need some special name for the less "masculine" side. In the U.S. we think men all have to be eithrt dumb gorillas or homosexuals. There is some grey area! There is an emphasis on not being pretentious in america that itself becomes a kind of pretentiousness. Men who dabble in vanity or in lofty romantic concerns seem less like men when in fact, they are probably better lovers to women than their traditional counterpart.
James Bond is very metro in a lot of ways. He aint no sissy but he has excellent taste.
"""
((My avatar is Ian Flemming's original sketch of James Bond.))

Who else here considers themselves to be metrosexual?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

The only time I'll wear white socks is when I work in my yard.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:56 pm

I bet a lot of girls would want guys with Metro pride!

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 4:38 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
I bet a lot of girls would want guys with Metro pride!

I like men with metro pride. But not because it's "metro pride", but because they deviate from the norm. And they like it. And I like it, too. I don't like the norm. :lol:

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman