Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 7:14 am

http://news.yahoo.com/boxing-champion-p ... 07196.html

Putz......

I am so tired of this lame "Animals don't do it' BS.

I've lived most of my life in either suburban or rural areas and spent summers at my mother's house which was a small farm.

Animals do it all the damned time. And since a majority of people live in urban environments, they buy into it. When people say that crap, it just really pisses me off.

Sorry...but, this was the only place I have to vent this.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2016, 7:27 am

Indeed. Admittedly I'm an urban dweller but I saw a documentary about homosexuality in the animal kingdom ten years ago that made it obvious. This guy is ignorant and full of s**t.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 4:41 pm

Homosexuality has been observed in over 1500 animal species.. and there's nothing more natural than nature.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 9:44 pm

He sounds like he is ignorant enough to run as a politician, oh wait, he is running as one.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 10:31 pm

Animals most certainly do, especially bonobos, human's closest relatives. They do it all the time.

http://www.primates.com/bonobos/bonobosexsoc.html

And animals even try to mate with different species altogether.

This dude isn't very bright, is he?

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 10:35 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Animals most certainly do, especially bonobos, human's closest relatives. They do it all the time.

http://www.primates.com/bonobos/bonobosexsoc.html

And animals even try to mate with different species altogether.

This dude isn't very bright, is he?
He's a boxer from an incredibly fundamentalist culture. Not exactly the pinnacle of anything but pugilism. And, he was quite the boxer. Apparently not much else though.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm

The internet is only a smartphone away. In about 5 minutes he could find plenty of research to contradict his uneducated opinion. He ought to just say "The bible says it's wrong, so it's wrong," instead of trying to use nonsense to make his opinion seem scientific.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 10:57 pm

Yigeren wrote:
The internet is only a smartphone away. In about 5 minutes he could find plenty of research to contradict his uneducated opinion. He ought to just say "The bible says it's wrong, so it's wrong," instead of trying to use nonsense to make his opinion seem scientific.
That's kinda what happens...argument by misdirection. And, he probably believes it.

I have a cousin who is gay. His parents deny it completely. I told my Mom that he was and until his parents got over it, it would never be good. The response?

"But, they had him tested..."

So, even college educated people do not pay attention when things get in the way of belief.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 11:27 pm

In 1994, Los Angeles had a major earthquake. There were massive, widespread electrical blackouts over the entire valley. Very soon 911 centers were swamped not with injuries or other emergencies but with people reporting something huge, strange and apparently terrifying overhead.

It was the night sky, full of stars with the Milky Way blazing across the dome like a giant object.

People who live in a bubble can very often become very happily and sometimes willfully ignorant of anything outside of their own lived experience.

Last edited by Edenthiel on 24 Feb 2016, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 11:31 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
In 1994, Los Angeles had a major earthquake. There were massive, widespread electrical blackouts over the entire valley. Very soon 911 centers were swamped not with injuries or other emergencies but with people reporting something huge, strange and apparently terrifying in the night sky.

It was the night sky, full of stars with the Milky Way blazing across the dome like a giant object.

People who live in a bubble can very often become very happily and sometimes willfully ignorant of anything outside of their own lived experience.
Sadly, I have to agree. But, sometimes that bubble can be really big. My wife, who is from southern China, which is really, really hot, complained of the heat in Florida when she first got here. Not because it was hotter. She just never felt the Sun like that before.

But, I bet they would have really freaked out if they saw a new moon against that. It looks like a big giant hole in the sky.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 12:15 am

It doesn't really bother me that he holds this opinion because of his religion. Everyone should be entitled to hold their own religious beliefs. It's the fact that he tries to justify it with nonsense. He should just say that God doesn't want people to be homosexual, and leave it at that.

But instead he tries to rationalize it so that he can justify using religious beliefs to restrict others that don't hold those beliefs. I think it's wrong to try to impose one's religion on another.

I'm an agnostic, but I don't go around harassing those that practice religion, insisting that they abandon their beliefs and embrace mine. It's disrespectful.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 1:24 am

Just because you're educated doesn't mean you have to use it against irrational beliefs---you can choose to cherry-pick your bits of knowledge so they appear to support them. Just because you know how to be consistent doesn't mean you need to be. Just because you know doublethink isn't an intellectually honest way to build a worldview doesn't mean you can't delight in it.

Isn't it wonderful? :D

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 2:38 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Just because you're educated doesn't mean you have to use it against irrational beliefs---you can choose to cherry-pick your bits of knowledge so they appear to support them. Just because you know how to be consistent doesn't mean you need to be. Just because you know doublethink isn't an intellectually honest way to build a worldview doesn't mean you can't delight in it.

Isn't it wonderful? :D

Yes, many people are like that. I know quite a few. I think that often people need to have something to believe in, so they grasp onto concepts that make no rational sense and are unsupported by science. I find it irritating only if they insist on pushing their viewpoints onto others. Otherwise, it's their business what they believe in.

Unfortunately, many religious people seem to want everyone to follow their particular beliefs, and think that it's in the best interest of everyone to obey certain religious tenets. This approach is probably only ethical in small societies where everyone mutually agrees to abide by that religion's teachings. In larger countries, the effect of religion-based laws is that an awful lot of people will have their rights violated.