Any advice on picking an electric guitar?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

I want to get one soon, but I have no idea where (or how) to start looking. I could go into a local guitar store, or I could get one online. Online would have more choices of course, but I wouldn't be able to test it before buying it. In-store I'd be able to try things out, but I would be more limited in my options (especially if a sales rep tries to sell me an expensive one rather than actually being helpful, as I wouldn't really know the difference).

I was hoping maybe someone here would be more knowledgeable and have some suggestions on specific models I should look at.

- Sherlock Holmes

DoubleDie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2015, 12:24 am

I'm partial to Fender guitars. I have very small hands and the neck felt more comfortable than a Gibson. The one I got seemed lighter and a little thinner than other brands. I bought it new, but I play it a lot so it didn't take long to get nicks and scratches.

What are some of your favorite songs? I like the Ramones and can get their basic sound by plugging an old MXR distortion pedal into a small Peavey amp. I have a Fender amp but it's too loud for the place I currently live in. I try to use headphones but they don't stay on very well.

I have had really good luck with smaller music stores that are locally owned. Especially if they have a selection of used guitars. Keep in mind that you will need to buy a case, strap, cord, strings and picks. (I make my own picks out of old gift cards.)

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 1:36 am

DoubleDie wrote:
I'm partial to Fender guitars. I have very small hands and the neck felt more comfortable than a Gibson. The one I got seemed lighter and a little thinner than other brands. I bought it new, but I play it a lot so it didn't take long to get nicks and scratches.

What are some of your favorite songs? I like the Ramones and can get their basic sound by plugging an old MXR distortion pedal into a small Peavey amp. I have a Fender amp but it's too loud for the place I currently live in. I try to use headphones but they don't stay on very well.

I have had really good luck with smaller music stores that are locally owned. Especially if they have a selection of used guitars. Keep in mind that you will need to buy a case, strap, cord, strings and picks. (I make my own picks out of old gift cards.)

Honestly, I don't really know what kind of sound I want. Mostly I just want to start learning, and I'm sure I'll develop preferences as I go, and then I can buy a guitar and/or equipment more particular to what I like.

I did find multiple people on the internet saying that a Fender Stratocaster is good for beginners. A couple also said to get a Mexican-made one as they are apparently a lot cheaper and still decent quality. I'm not sure if I should do that or not, as I'd have to order it online, and therefore would have no way of testing beforehand.

I was also planning on going in to a local store when I find one, at least to just have a look around.

- Sherlock Holmes

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2015, 7:35 am

A lot depends on your budget but this is the first time I heard a Fender Stratocaster being described as a beginner's guitar. If you can afford it that would be brilliant although if you're talking Fender personally I would go for a Telecaster.

I agree, I don't like to buy instruments off the internet as it's a very personal thing and I like to try them out before I buy. Having said that, and I don't mean any offence by this, if you are complete beginner it probably isn't going to make much difference as long as you get something that is basically sound and any decent music shop will help you with that. In my experience you are very unlikely to be duped in a music shop, they will most likely genuinely want to help you make the right choice.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 10:23 am

If you are serious rather than curious, get the best you can afford, if you buy a cheap one and continue, you will only end up getting a better one and wishing you hadn't wasted your money on the cheap one.

Also depends on the sort of music you wish to play.
I like a rich full guitar sound and so found myself disappointed with my Fender Stratocaster clone when I first played a friends Humbucker equipped guitar, especially for a beginner who doesn't have the talent to play a good tune, just plucking a single string on a humbucker equipped guitar can produce suck a beautiful sound that encourages you to progress.

I have seven guitars, the best sounding is the Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers, but the guitar I wish somebody had recommended to me and the one I play almost exclusively, is a basic Gibson SG, I think it was called the Special when I bought mine, rather than the more expensive standard. But the music I play is simple power cords and riffs such as Black Sabbath or early punk for which the SG is the right sort of sound, so it also depends on what you wish to play.

HERE is Eric Clapton playing a Fender Strat so you can compare with Eric playing the Gibson for you to see which sound is more to your taste.

Last edited by Nambo on 01 Feb 2015, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 10:25 am

You can't go wrong with a Les Paul.

T1nd1v1dual
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2015, 4:18 pm

Go to Guitar Center or whichever shop's closest and test a couple, then buy the most affordable one of your choice.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

I would steer away from a Strat as a beginner, the reason being that while learning you will keep hitting the three way switch, which is quite annoying to say the least.

I think the only way to get the right guitar is to play as many as you can, and pick the one that has the best action for yourself. Buying by brand is not always a good option, as two guitars exactly the same can have completely different actions. Don't think you need to buy new, been playing for 30 years and never bought a new one. A mate of mine had a really cheap and nasty strat copy, but wow, did it have a good action! If you find one of those, you can always change the pickups later.

I like a heavy guitar, as sometimes when playing live, the crowd needs to be whacked out of the way a little. I also only like black guitars.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2015, 8:42 pm

If you haven't played before, I'd suggest not buying an expensive guitar to start since you don't know exactly what kind of music you'll be playing. You'll just be working on fundamentals at first, so having a nice or cheap guitar won't make much of a difference.

Which guitarists do you find most interesting or would like to emulate?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 8:52 pm

jwfess wrote:
If you haven't played before, I'd suggest not buying an expensive guitar to start since you don't know exactly what kind of music you'll be playing. You'll just be working on fundamentals at first, so having a nice or cheap guitar won't make much of a difference.

I'd like to be able to do covers of my favorite bands mainly (which are mainly punk, metal and alternative rock bands). I don't really have a favorite guitarist yet, as my main focus has always been singing (and still is). I want to be a more well-rounded musician though. Do you have any suggestions on specific guitarists I could check out (specifically in the genres I've mentioned)? I know there are probably a lot, but I dont really know where to start.

- Sherlock Holmes

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm

AC/DC riffs are great for starters. You'll find tons of educational videos on YouTube, an example:

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm

How's this one? link

I found it at a local guitar store for $199, the guy told me it's good for starting out because it's not crappy quality like the cheapo ones you can get that are basically toys, and it's a decent price so I can start learning without having to buy something super expensive. I tested it out, it sounds pretty good me. I played the few things I know how to play on it and it seems decent.

- Sherlock Holmes

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2015, 7:42 am

perfect; I never played a Peavey guitar but they have a long history of making great amps

go for it bro!

jwfess
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2015, 2:02 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
jwfess wrote:

I'd like to be able to do covers of my favorite bands mainly (which are mainly punk, metal and alternative rock bands). I don't really have a favorite guitarist yet, as my main focus has always been singing (and still is). I want to be a more well-rounded musician though. Do you have any suggestions on specific guitarists I could check out (specifically in the genres I've mentioned)? I know there are probably a lot, but I dont really know where to start.

Well I'm mostly a metal head (though I play some jazz as well), I found the best guitars for that are Schecter, Jackson, and Ibanez. But I'm not sure if their lower-end/beginner models are any good or not.

As far as metal guitarist go, sheesh, there are a lot of good ones. Randy Rhodes, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Luca Turelli, Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, and Muhammed Suicmez are some of my faves, but I have a preference for neoclassical playing.

I'd go with the Peavy, learn how to play a bit, and then decide in a year or so what direction you want to go.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 4:44 pm

I went ahead and bought the Peavey. I'm glad I did, now realize just how out-of-tune my old acoustic is (even after tuning it).

I'm not a total beginner since I've had that acoustic for a while, so I know basics and some chords at least. I can't get lessons right now, so I'm now wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find some good exercises (not songs) just to improve dexterity and such.

- Sherlock Holmes

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 4:06 am

^^^ You need to replace the strings every once in a while.