Why does Rap music have such a bad reputation?

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:47 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Alt-rap ain't bad...

Too bad more of it isn't like this... RIP MCA.

So THAT's where The Prodigy got that sample from. Not a bad song btw. I find I like oldschool hip hop a lot better than the modern s**t.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:19 am

I was kinda bummed when I heard MCA died. Always had a fondness for Beastie Boys.

NIN makes me think of Ministry, Skinny Puppy and Pigface. I think Pigface does do some songs that are kinda rap-ish. They have a few on 'Notes From Thee Underground ('Asphole' comes to mind).

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2015, 11:54 am

yeah i like the beastie boys. License to ill and ill communication are two of my favorite rap albums.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:10 am

dossa wrote:
I was kinda bummed when I heard MCA died. Always had a fondness for Beastie Boys.

NIN makes me think of Ministry, Skinny Puppy and Pigface. I think Pigface does do some songs that are kinda rap-ish. They have a few on 'Notes From Thee Underground ('Asphole' comes to mind).

I like some of Beastie Boys' stuff, but I've never been really been a major fan, as I'm not much of a hip hop listener in the first place. I would like to explore it more, and broaden my horizons a bit. I know there's more to it than the stereotypical "f**k b*****s get money" BS.

NIN, Ministry, and Skinny Puppy are all huge favorites of mine, never really listened to Pigface though. I'll have to check some of their stuff out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm

Because the cars playing loud music tend to be playing stuff with very heavy base & talking profanity.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2015, 6:07 pm

The metal I listen to has profanity but at least the actual lyrics have more of a variety and I can relate to many of them.

gmad1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2015, 2:53 am

Because its all about "CASH HO'S WEED BLUNTS BANG BANG AM I RIGHT"
Here's some hip-hop I found which isn't to do with gangsta things or anything.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 5:12 pm

Because they hear rap and not hip-hop.

Because it does not sound musical to some people. There is little or no singing and little melody and harmony. It is made up of people talking over beat machines, and any musical samples added are boring because they repeat over and over again.

Because so many of the lyrics sound anti-social, insecure, and narcissistic, and they glorify ignorance, irresponsibility, and conspicuous consumption.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm

starkid wrote:
Because they hear rap and not hip-hop.

Because it does not sound musical to some people. There is little or no singing and little melody and harmony. It is made up of people talking over beat machines, and any musical samples added are boring because they repeat over and over again.

Because so many of the lyrics sound anti-social, insecure, and narcissistic, and they glorify ignorance, irresponsibility, and conspicuous consumption.

I think this basically sums it up. I listen to a lot of electronic music, so I don't necessarily mind drum machines and repetitive melodies, but the s**t a lot of rappers rap about is off-putting, as is the way they sound. A lot of rappers sound scary and intimidating to me, whereas distorted industrial vocals or death metal growls won't because they sound more "fantasy" like. I could compare a scary sounding rapper to a guy who might mug me in a back alley, while the closest thing I could compare a death metal vocalist to is a dragon I might see in some movie.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 6:32 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I could compare a scary sounding rapper to a guy who might mug me in a back alley, while the closest thing I could compare a death metal vocalist to is a dragon I might see in some movie.

I'd rather be attacked by a dragon than some guy in a dark alley. Especially if the guy is rapping while attacking me. xD

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 6:32 pm

Most rap is just the same cliched s**t over & over again: cars, drugs, money, sex, and anything of the sort.

I'm not a rap fan, but Eminem is awesome! "Without Me" makes me laugh every time I hear it on the radio.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 6:41 pm

starkid wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I could compare a scary sounding rapper to a guy who might mug me in a back alley, while the closest thing I could compare a death metal vocalist to is a dragon I might see in some movie.

I'd rather be attacked by a dragon than some guy in a dark alley. Especially if the guy is rapping while attacking me. xD

Same. :P

XJ220RACER
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2015, 9:17 pm

Rock was similar when it started out, but it is hard to tell if the shock was to the same degree. Not only did you have all of the sex and drugs - you looked further into it and you discovered that not only was it in many cases millionaire media moguls and their performers (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc) stealing directly from anonymous black blues musicians, there were allusions to Satan worship (Led Zeppelin again, The Eagles, etc) and links to the CIA and MI5 (MKULTRA program) It wasn't really until David Bowie that rock seemed clean and safe to listen to, but by that time, there was less of a need to distract the angry, protesting masses with pure strains of LSD and colossal showmanship.

There's plenty of talk about intelligence agencies and media complexes using rap to manipulate both black communities and middle-class America's perception of them. Notice how in the 80's and early 90's, rap had both the intimidating gangster image and overt political demands (repertations, race wars, etc) During Clinton's presidency, race relations got better and the likes of Will Smith came in and rap became a lot more innocent, just something to dance to. Then again during a Republican presidency, rap became violent, overtly sexual, etc. During Obama presidency, rap has taken on a more conscious and intellectual tone and a lot of the more famous rappers are lighter skinned or half-white - no doubt inspired by Obama himself.

Obviously, the effort with which it takes to make music has significantly declined over the centuries - it has gone from well-organized symphonies, to a group of guys and their instruments, to one rapper and a beat, now it seems to all be done on computer.

In my opinion EDM is the biggest farce yet - no instruments, in a lot of songs and albums not even any original rhythms, just sound bits thrown together to pump up your heart rate.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 10:47 am

the best thing about rap is that it can turn you on to stuff that's even better...

The B-Boys only sampled the best...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Apr 2015, 11:29 am

The mainstream of any genre of music is typically bad, Lorde is apparently considered mainstream rock now and the equivalence and even worse has happened to rap music.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2015, 11:38 am

Yeah mainstream raps pretty bad. There are only a few mainstream rappers that i still listen to. Eminem and Kendrick Lamar are basically all the mainstream rap i listen to at the moment. the best rap is still underground and you will never hear real hip hop on the radio.