Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Widman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

i think he has many aspie traits and the thing people say is very aspie is the disability of not being able to read people but something people seem to forget is that many of us ( at least me ) have made a science of it and have thereby becomes better then many neurotypicals at reading people
and many also belive that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was an aspie and that therefore many aspie traits are bestowed upon Sherlock Holmes
aided by the inspiration of one of his teathers Josef Bell

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

I finally saw the two Robert Downey films back to back this weekend. (I was supposed to be going to see The Dark Knight Rises but, you know). Anyway, not only does he behave like an aspie, but they portrayed him as a jealous gay person as well (dresses in drag, dances with Watson, tells Watson, "lie down with me", is imminently jealous of Watson's marriage, and seems almost too glad to throw his friend's new wife out of a moving train!) You are, Holmes, you are! But I digress. Autism wise, he has several traits (aversion to light, deep focus on his special interests, over-stimulated visual issues which he calls his curse, etc).

Robert Downey is a really good actor. I'd love to see this depth of portrayal from the other pretty boys (DiCaprio, Depp, Pitt and Cruise). Asperger's can be a subtle thing, though, and requires a light deft touch in its portrayal. At least Downey was able to pull it off.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2012, 2:09 pm

In the UK series 'Sherlock' Cumberlatch plays an even more aspie modern day Holmes and Watson/Lastrade diagnose him in the second series.

PennyDreadful
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

Which version?

ACD canon, yes and no. He has some characteristics, but it couldn't have been intended as autism and Aspergers was nonexistent as a diagnosis.

Basil Rathbone, probably not. Jeremy Brett, again, the closest to canon, so the same problems. Robert Downey Jr., unlikely. Benedict Cumberbatch, yes, there have been extensive essays on the subject, and a line in Hounds of Baskerville about it (he refers to himself in the pilot as a high-functioning sociopath, but there is no such thing). Johnny Lee Miller we do not discuss because it does not exist in my mind and I refuse to accept anything with a female Watson.

Interestingly, in one of the episodes of House, an exchange between Cuddy and Wilson brings up the possibility of House having Aspergers. The conclusion is that he is too manipulative, demonstrating an understanding of people's emotional personalities and subtleties, if not empathy.

As far as canon goes, no, I don't think he was; he was just weird.

whitchry9
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2013, 8:52 pm

PennyDreadful wrote:
Which version?

ACD canon, yes and no. He has some characteristics, but it couldn't have been intended as autism and Aspergers was nonexistent as a diagnosis.

Basil Rathbone, probably not. Jeremy Brett, again, the closest to canon, so the same problems. Robert Downey Jr., unlikely. Benedict Cumberbatch, yes, there have been extensive essays on the subject, and a line in Hounds of Baskerville about it (he refers to himself in the pilot as a high-functioning sociopath, but there is no such thing). Johnny Lee Miller we do not discuss because it does not exist in my mind and I refuse to accept anything with a female Watson.

Interestingly, in one of the episodes of House, an exchange between Cuddy and Wilson brings up the possibility of House having Aspergers. The conclusion is that he is too manipulative, demonstrating an understanding of people's emotional personalities and subtleties, if not empathy.

As far as canon goes, no, I don't think he was; he was just weird.

Yes. This. I think the current BBC portrayal is an aspie. However I don't think the RDJ or the JLM versions are. As for ACD canon? I don't have an opinion formed on that yet.