Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

nilescrane wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
nilescrane wrote:
Check out Red Hot Chili Peppers new album. Not great but better than most of the crap out today.

I second that. Actually I really like this album, I didn't know what to expect with the new guitar player, but I find he delivers. The songs have a really "big" production sound to me

I really like the song "Factory of faith." Has a great groove to it.

Yeah that's a good one, the bass line is very cool, maybe one of my favorites off the album. I actually like every song on the album, there are not too many albums I feel that way about, even by RHCP :lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

I don't think I've listened to any music from this year this year. Going through new music seems more of a chore than a pleasure. I have other sources of rewarding novelty. I like to let music happen to me.

I might get around to Biophilia in a few years or so. And maybe there might be something on the new Kate Bush record worth hearing eventually

Oh wait, Univrs by Alva Noto did penetrate under my rock

Last edited by Moog on 21 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

I honestly haven't cared for any 2011 music... I will get Blink 182's new album sometime though.

I've just spent this year discovering music from yonks ago that I missed out on because I wasn't born then. :x

mrPOSTMAN
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2011, 8:15 pm

Must say, I'm very dissapointed in the replies so far. Those who haven't clung on to has beens like Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Blink-182 have just outright dismissed 2011 entirely. Come on guys! Where's your sense of adventure? Everyone listens to something for the first time. Try something you wouldn't usually try.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2011, 1:23 am

For me, this has been a great year for music:

Dyed in the Wool by David Sylvian
Biophilia by Björk
The Whole Love by Wilco
We Can Fly by YES
The Unforgiving by Within Temptation
Heads or Tails Live by SAGA
Dedicated To Chaos by Queensrÿche
Dorector's Cut by Kate Bush
The Scarlet Tulip by KT Tunstall
Night Of Hunters by Tori Amos
The Works for Percussion 1 - John Cage
The Works for Viola - Giancinto Scelsi

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 3:26 am

mrPOSTMAN wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
good:
Britney Spears - Femme Fatale

Yeah, I've heard good things about that one. A number of sources say it's her best so far. That wouldn't be so surprising, she's never been an album-centric artist.

buryuntime wrote:
didn't care for (change my mind):
Bit K.R.I.T. - Return Of 4Eva
Fleet Foxes - Heplessness Blues
Space Is Only Noise - Nicolas Jaar

Nicolas Jaar take a little while to grow on you. But I'll come clean, if you didn't like KRIT or Fleet Foxes after one or two listens it's probably a lost cause.

buryuntime wrote:
godawful:
Iron & Wine - Kiss Eachother Clean

Yes! This! I was astounded at how bad this thing was. It's not the worst this year but the sting is especially painful knowing it's coming from Iron & Wine. How the might have fallen eh?

buryuntime wrote:
2010 was better.

Just for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy alone I'd agree.

Maybe. I like Fleet Foxes' first album now after several listens. I'm not sure they're worth it though since I still don't love it. What's wrong with me?

Adding Raein - Se la notte sogno, sogno di essere un maratoneta to my list of good. It's screamo. It's an interesting experience because I do not understand Italian and so any lyrical content is lost on me, which I've never much experienced in this type of music. And they sound great.

Gave Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest, James Blake - S/T, and Thoughts, and Evidence - Cats & Dogs a listen.

I found Evidence's to be on the whole boring. James Blake is interesting... but would definiately be something that would have to grow on me. I've read SBTRKT is in a similar vein but more poppy so I'm going to check it out. Gillian Welch sounded good.

I also listened to Pete & The Pirate's album again and Thurston Moore - Demolished but was busy so it doesn't count.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 4:22 am

This is my top 10 for this year, so far.

1. Father, Son, Holy Ghost - Girls
2. Let England Shake - PJ Harvey
3. Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes
4. A Creature I Don't Know - Laura Marling
5. Ceremonials - Florence & the Machine
6. Wounded Rhymes - Lykke Li
7. Torches - Foster the People
8. Prisoner - The Jezabels
9. Cults - Cults
10. Metals - Feist

There are some albums that I still need to give repeat listens to to make final judgement, including Feist's and Flroence's, and I've yet to hear Tom Wait's new album. By the end of the year, I should have seen all but 1 out of the 10 on this list live (Lykke Li, unless she does sideshows whilst here later this year).

RevolutionWaver
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2011, 9:50 am

Stuff I have enjoyed this year:

Strange Mercy-St. Vincent
Laced-Psychedelic horses**t
Belong-The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Collapse into Now-REM

Anything else you guys think I would like? I don't like the Fleet Foxes. Radiohead was dissapoint. I am excited for a new MBV album (that will most likely be delayed another 4 months before it comes out) and a new Soundgarden sounds cool, too.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

Adele
Fleet Foxes, I agree about that one
I don't know, I'll have to think about this some more.