Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 1 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2006, 7:07 pm

I think someone suggested Stefan Großmann from Absurd Minds on the forum a while back.
I do love their music and while some of my electronica friends like it too, it seems as I understand it while they say they don't.

I didn't know about Assemblage 23, but I can definitely see how that could be so.
Interesting lyrics.

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2006, 9:44 am

Starbuline wrote:
I know someone already mentioned the Vines, but I feel like going into more detail because they were my obsession from 2003-2005. He kicked a photographer's camera and broke it during a show in Australia, so he had to go to court. During it, he mentioned that he was recently diagnosed with AS. I also read somewhere that Tony Atwood diagnosed him, but I'm probably mistaken.

Yes, you are right. Tony Attwood is his therapist, and did do the intitial diagnosis.
If you you are interesting in discussing Craig and The Vines more, feel free to pm me. 8)

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 3:40 pm

Autumn_Shade wrote:
Starbuline wrote:
I know someone already mentioned the Vines, but I feel like going into more detail because they were my obsession from 2003-2005. He kicked a photographer's camera and broke it during a show in Australia, so he had to go to court. During it, he mentioned that he was recently diagnosed with AS. I also read somewhere that Tony Atwood diagnosed him, but I'm probably mistaken.

Yes, you are right. Tony Attwood is his therapist, and did do the intitial diagnosis.
If you you are interesting in discussing Craig and The Vines more, feel free to pm me. 8)

Okay.

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2006, 5:40 am

Holy crap I can't believe there were 2 people before me who thought Richard D. James aka Aphex twin could possibly have AS. I've pondered it myself because of really how odd his music is and how weird the interviews he gives are. We'll probably never know though. We all know that Craig Nicholls and Gary Numan have it, but what about all the musicians that don't talk about it because they feel it's not important? Also, I think it's very possible that asperger's is what caused Syd Barrett to recluse.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2006, 5:48 am

i thought that David Byrne from the Talking Heads had it?!

Doll
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2006, 10:27 am

I believe he was diagnosed with Asperger's sometime in the mid-nineties. Ironic that his previous band before Talking Heads was called The Autistics...

BeanCounter
Butterfly
Butterfly

Location: Down where the sasquatch hide, in the misty mountain side

26 Nov 2006, 7:56 pm

I am almost certain that Frank Zappa had AS or HFA.

- A. Einstein

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2006, 2:25 am

Doll wrote:
I believe he was diagnosed with Asperger's sometime in the mid-nineties. Ironic that his previous band before Talking Heads was called The Autistics...

holy s***
i didn't know that.

he probably knew that he was on the spectrum though.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:40 am

Hmmn..

I get this feeling with Devin Townsend.. I haven't met one person IRL that understands his lyrics.. Or even wants to understand them. Meanwhile I've memorised every single word he ever sung, I think he is a genious.

BeanCounter
Butterfly
Butterfly

Location: Down where the sasquatch hide, in the misty mountain side

27 Nov 2006, 1:58 pm

Scintillate wrote:
Hmmn..

I get this feeling with Devin Townsend.. I haven't met one person IRL that understands his lyrics.. Or even wants to understand them. Meanwhile I've memorised every single word he ever sung, I think he is a genious.

I love him too. Do you have all his SYL stuff too?

I think his songs like Life and Deep Peace and Baby Song make sense. Others aren't meant to. I agree with the ASD assumption about him.

I am kicking myself for not getting the version of Synchestra with the live DVD. I just had to impulse buy the regular at Borders.

- A. Einstein

Doll
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2006, 8:45 pm

blackdove wrote:

holy s***
i didn't know that.

he probably knew that he was on the spectrum though.

There's a video about it [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtoGW0atis"]here[/url], if you're interested.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 5:30 pm

[quote=" and the kid from The Vines [/quote]

Craig Nicholls is his name and he's not a kid he's 29 years old :lol:

cloud
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2006, 2:42 am

BeanCounter wrote:
I am almost certain that Frank Zappa had AS or HFA.

I thought that too two days..., but I read two autobiographics, and he was raised strict catholic (he was born 1943) and so on so no wonder he got so controll oriented, than that accident when he went too tank c (prison), he could there too get paranoic... than there was the 60 and the riots...
So i think his aspie traits were more of an parental factor and social than "brainy" :lol:
And bout his sexual life, yeah... he had two wymen but he was always that kind of man who sought true love..., no one-night stand and "plastic people" kind of love.
Maybe a OCD too a degree...
But it would be nice if he had *sigh*.... :( *dreamy*

Or we could define a new thing the zappa syndrom :lol:---> 8)----> :? -----> :roll: ----> :lol:

If you play genius, you`ll be one.

Salvador dali

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 3:05 am

James Maynard Keenan

He shows many aspie traits and music he makes has a very structured, ordered sound most of the time.

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 8:09 am

YEah, maynards definately got it. No way a neurotypical could make such awesome music

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 3:10 pm

Karl Sanders of Nile definetly has it. His lyrics are either about Egyptology, H.P. Lovecraft or both.
Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage as well. I have a DVD with them and his behaviour on stage is pretty eccentric.
I'm sure John Frusciante has it too.