Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2009, 9:44 pm

anyone a fan? if you can overlook his 70's soft-rock hits (and you can appreciate those too if viewed objectively w/o that context), some of his stuff is genius. the guy constantly reinvented himself, played all his own instruments, produced his own stuff (and a million other acts) and had an utterly hilarious sense of humor. totally his own person.

MrKnott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2009, 8:15 pm

I suppose TR would know about being on the "wrong planet." When I was about 11 my older brother started listening to Todd and Utopia--I had no musical taste of my own. I could probably still sing any of the guy's stuff from Runt to Healer(?)--no I think Utopia's Swing to the Right was the last I remember. Boy, it seems a bit odd that when I was in 8th grade my favorite album was The Ballad of TR--I was not a happy person. I saw Utopia at least three times between '80 and '81. Wait, I think I saw Todd in concert in 1986. By the way, my brother caught hell from other kids who didn't agree that Todd was Godd (that was his phrase, I think). I learned pretty quick to keep my mouth shut--I was odd enough. Todd never did get to be president (sons of 1984), I guess; but he is a wizard, a true star. I suppose his stuff holds up pretty well. Now I'll be singing songs from Oops Wrong Planet all night. No, "Real Man." Why did stop listening to him? Was it the bad double album by Utopia or Bang on the Drum? Wonder if Todd is . . . No, mustn't think that of every thin creative misfit--many are NT.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 4:25 pm

I am a huge fan. I have many of his albums and saw him in concert with Utopia during the RA tour. I liked his solo work best, especially "A Wizard, A True Star." That is one of my favorite albums by anyone. Musicians who are able to produce music on their own in the studio, overdubbing a many different instruments interest me. Another one is Roy Wood, who was in the original line up of Electric Light Orchestra, Move, and Wizzard. He has made some amazing albums in that way, like "Mustard."

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:18 pm

I saw him on Don Kirschner's rock concert (before your time...;) show, and he forgot his underwear...which was painfully obvious (especially if your parents are in the room...;)

He did some production work for a band that did 'I'm an Adult now'...and you can hear his stuff in there.

oopswrongplanet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2023, 4:35 pm

I'm a huge fan. Gotta necro this thread just to say that.