Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

allegrorules
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 9:10 am

I just thought it would be fun to add a conversation of classical musicians talking about what's going on in their musical lives.... Just feel free to start sharing stories as I enjoy reading what other musicians are up to....

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:37 pm

I'm not a musician, but I couldn't stand by and let a thread on classical music go unanswered! I've been checking out some modern composers that I haven't paid much mind to in the past. Some of Gorecki's lesser-known works, and Honegger.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 4:53 pm

I like this Shostakovich. His memoirs are a great read, too.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDNS4BM1xQ[/youtube]

allegrorules

11 Aug 2013, 5:46 pm

I used to not like contemporary music, but now, I find that I do... I think it is the kind of music that has to grow on you; you have to listen to it over and over and then suddenly you realize you like it. That's the way it is for me.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 8:15 pm

Yes i have to agree, with Beethovens Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement you can get an idea of Beethovens fine works first hand.

I am a musician currently training with works from him on the Violin although i have to transcribe most of it by ear and it has been around
3 months since i began attempting such a task.

I am not proficiant at the instrument but i am finding it enjoyable than i have previously thought.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:30 am

Another great Beethoven sonata is the Appassionata sonata, Op. 57. Also, for his slight sense of humor, check out the third movement of his pastoral sonata. You want scary, but still classical? Check out Sonata no. 7's (op. 10 number three) slow movement. It is in D minor, and by today's standards it's not scary, but it is one of the first times that Beethoven brings dramaticism to its height for 1797.

Also, check out Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 24. He wrote that piano concerto in just three weeks! It is amazing, and it actually sounds like Beethoven without the accents that Beethoven would be known for.

Shuucreme
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2013, 1:32 am

Does this thread apply to Romantics? Lizst and Chopin are both amazing. I'm partial to Chopin's Scherzos in particular.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:50 am

After Labor Day I will be rejoining a community orchestra. The first program is:

Martinu: Memorial to Lidice
Haydn: Cello Concerto in D Major
D'Indy: Symphony No. 2

Should be fun!

allegrorules

12 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

Ahh! I love Haydn's D major cello concerto... Very different from his C major cello concerto, but equally, if not more enjoyable. Yes, Shuucreme, romantic Romantics are welcome :D

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2013, 2:41 pm

Dhp wrote:
You want scary, but still classical? Check out Sonata no. 7's (op. 10 number three) slow movement. It is in D minor, and by today's standards it's not scary, but it is one of the first times that Beethoven brings dramaticism to its height for 1797.

I'm learning it. Right now. Well, I was a minute ago.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2013, 2:38 pm

I am a big classical music buff. Classical music helps me relax whenever I'm stressed.

Kinch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2013, 12:22 am

Wanting to be a filmmaker, my ultimate goal is to, despite my fear that I cannot stir emotions in NTs, create something that evokes what the final movement in Mahler's Ninth does.