Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 9:10 pm

I have considered that maybe Kurt Cobain has AS. I know he mentioned having bad posture in one of his songs.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm

I saw the documentary that the OP mentioned in opening post and I remember getting the impression that Kurt was on the Autism spectrum somewhere.

I also remember reading an interview when Kurt talked about hating going to school because he was beat up by bullies.

A few more quotes from Cobain:

I use bits and pieces of others personalities to form my own.
I mean I like to be passionate and sincere but I also like to have fun and act like a dork. Geeks unite
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
A friend is nothing but an unknown enemy.
I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they're in my head.
I'm too busy acting like I'm not Naive. I've seen it all, I was here first.
I've always had a problem with the average macho man - they've always been a threat to me.
I dislike eating high-class French food when all I want is simply macaroni and cheese!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Apr 2009, 11:16 pm

i dont know, if he was or wasnt. but damn, he made good music and that i miss :(

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 12:23 am

Quote:
A friend is nothing but an unknown enemy.

This is probably the one I understand most of all.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2009, 1:06 pm

This is part one of the Cobain documentary "About A Son". It starts off a little slow but hang in there and pay close attention around the 3 minute mark on the video. That's where Kurt starts talking about his fantasy of being an Alien from another planet and being adopted by his parents who found him abandoned on a crashed space ship. Sound like a familiar fantasy? This Youtube is of exceptionally good quality and you can access the other parts (all by Aliceness) to see the entire documentary.

Don't expect to see or hear any of Kurt's music though, cause it's not there. Probably due to Courtney and copywrite laws. You can tell that Kurt really trusts this interviewer because he says that he (Kurt) is making an exception by talking so freely to him and that ordinarily he hates the media and the mess they make of his life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD68FVC27Kc[/youtube]

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

16 Apr 2009, 3:48 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
I know he mentioned having bad posture in one of his songs.

Well, he did also have scoliosis. (There was a story that one of his parents, I forget which one, made that up to spite the other one, but in the recent book Cobain Unseen there's an X-ray photo which makes it pretty clear that it was true. Fascinating book if you're at all into him, BTW. Tons of rare photos and artwork and stuff.)

As a total Kurt obsessive I don't think it's possible to say one way or the other. A lot of things could be down to depression, ADHD, possible bipolar, drugs or, as I said in a thread in the arts section here the other week, plain weirdness.

Last Days was a cool movie (a bit slow for some people), but it's supposed to be fiction. I agree, though, it put across that kind of isolation pretty well. The narration of About a Son is made up of taped interviews Michael Azerrad collected for the book Come As You Are, the only bio published when Kurt was still alive. While he undoubtedly trusted Azerrad more than he did a lot of journalists, there was still stuff, notably about his drug use, that didn't get mentioned, for obvious reasons.

(Tragic fact, Saddacadabra - when they searched the Cobain house after they found his body, they found Automatic for the People still in the stereo where he'd been listening to it...)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 7:50 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
(Tragic fact, Saddacadabra - when they searched the Cobain house after they found his body, they found Automatic for the People still in the stereo where he'd been listening to it...)

Creepy O_O

Cooincidence?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 8:04 pm

In his parting letter he writes "For example" as he is still afraid to be misunderstood even at the end. I believe that this is a very common Aspie trait to explain yourself more clearly to not cause further confusion and to find a concrete example, he also speaks about seeing it as a duty and not as an enjoyment making it a job that if he fails he feels that he's been depleted and without his inner child there is just no point.

I say AS.

...you can continue discussing.

edit:
Only photo with a genuine smile from Kurt is when he's hanging with a cat... (look at his eyes that is more then just observing)

:::)

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 8:50 pm

6ft4andmor wrote:
The lead singer of System Of A Down has Aspergers.
Really? Serj Tankien? Can anyone confirm this?

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2009, 11:07 pm

This may seem weird, but I have not got over Kurt Cobains death even though its been 15 years(and 11 days) since he died.
Another weird part is that I was born two months after his death.
I didn't even know who he was until a few months ago.
I can't explain it, but I somehow feel like I know him... or knew him... I just somehow feel connected to him....

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2009, 11:59 pm

AlMightyAl wrote:
This may seem weird, but I have not got over Kurt Cobains death {snip}
I didn't even know who he was until a few months ago.
I can't explain it, but I somehow feel like I know him... or knew him... I just somehow feel connected to him....

Well the AS would connect you ;) Be careful to not idolize his courage to commit suicide there.

And a few months isn't that long for death. He did connect with a lot of people and clearly he offers some lessons on choices in life. to be popular/highly successful with your talent but not really be happy (one I can slightly relate to).

I can sort of see now why in the computer software industry some nerds opt to do free open source software their own way - instead of the higher pressure of the business world.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

17 Apr 2009, 3:26 am

AlMightyAl wrote:

A heck of a lot of people feel that way, me included....I only got interested in him five years ago, and it was that exact feeling. It's the whole thing about wanting to fit in, but not wanting to...Kurt once said something (I forget the exact quote, sorry) about us needing a community of misfits. I can relate to that, whether it's to do with AS or not.

Soulcakeduck, that's something I dislike a little about the way he's presented. He had a real sweet smile (you're right...under certain circumstances...check out any photos of him with his little girl) but people like to print pictures of him looking miserable. I think it's part of the mythology surrounding depression, to be honest - make out that people with depression look desperately unhappy 100% of the time, and you can pretend that it's easy to spot and that nobody you know who looks 'normal' is about to off themselves. Whereas sadly, it's a lot more unpredictable than that.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 8:22 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
AlMightyAl wrote:

A heck of a lot of people feel that way, me included....I only got interested in him five years ago, and it was that exact feeling. It's the whole thing about wanting to fit in, but not wanting to...Kurt once said something (I forget the exact quote, sorry) about us needing a community of misfits. I can relate to that, whether it's to do with AS or not.

Soulcakeduck, that's something I dislike a little about the way he's presented. He had a real sweet smile (you're right...under certain circumstances...check out any photos of him with his little girl) but people like to print pictures of him looking miserable. I think it's part of the mythology surrounding depression, to be honest - make out that people with depression look desperately unhappy 100% of the time, and you can pretend that it's easy to spot and that nobody you know who looks 'normal' is about to off themselves. Whereas sadly, it's a lot more unpredictable than that.

He was my special interest from about the age of 15 to 20 or so, and I used to feel the same way. I just started getting into his music, and all not too long before he died. I have a big compilation somewhere of my collection of Nirvana drawings, and videos, ect..

I also agree that the media portrayed him as someone who was always miserable, only taking pictures of him looking solemn. I have a compilation video of interviews, and concerts with lots of behind the scenes footage, and he definitely liked to have fun, and laugh. Most people in general would've never known it though.

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2009, 5:36 am

From what I know, he seemed quirky, socially awkward, and obsessive (he collected lots of dolls and other weird things). In Charles Cross's book 'Heavier than Heaven', it was said that Kurt was diagnosed with ADHD and liked certain smells (he sniffed his fingers apparently). His cousin said he (Kurt) had Bipolar, but I don't know if he REALLY had that (not that I knew him personally or anything). But I guess we'll never know.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:43 am

GreenGrrl wrote:
From what I know, he seemed quirky, socially awkward, and obsessive (he collected lots of dolls and other weird things). In Charles Cross's book 'Heavier than Heaven', it was said that Kurt was diagnosed with ADHD and liked certain smells (he sniffed his fingers apparently). His cousin said he (Kurt) had Bipolar, but I don't know if he REALLY had that (not that I knew him personally or anything). But I guess we'll never know.

wow that's really interesting (I really don't wanna sound special or closer to anyone by saying this) I have always rubbed my fingers and hands against each other, touched keys and other objects because the smell sticks to my skin and I sometimes sit and smell different smells I find interesting. Nice to know I'm not the only one who does this, my mom would tell me to get my hands away from my face but I would continue my smell adventures as fast as she turned around. :eew: :)

My friends would ask me if I was "making plans" when I rubbed my hands, looking like a evil professor since I always have my hands at my face when I do this. I would just laugh and say yeah, since I was more interested in the smell them the embarrassment of looking stupid.

:::)

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2009, 3:29 pm

i think so:

-he usually didn't look at people when answering their questions. he would either turn to look at a camera, or else look down or else look up and away. check the film, oyu'll see this was quite a common occurence.

-the unmanageable pain from his stomach problems always sounded like a hypersensitivity to pain. ie (pain is a stimulus, much like pleasure, and somewhat kinda sorta like sensory overload)

-he always spoke... differently; articulate, between the lines, idealistically. very intelligent, but as much as he tried explaining himself, he would always try and explain more, thinking that no one was understanding him. (tell tale sign)

-he was bullied daily, both while a student and as a young adult.

-many of his choruses in his lines are heavily repeated lines, usually one or two words repeated

-his peculiar obsessions; collecting odd doll parts, wearing dresses.

-strange habits: breaking a guitar on stage nightly, diving into the drummers drumset.

not that it matters, but i defintely think, yes.

-