Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

(I've had writer's itch slowing building the last few month's and as usual just awaited a story idea and sufficient motivation. This story is actually a merger of an old story idea I had shelved with a new one that came out of a satirical thread I recently started. I only have the first part vaguely plotted out, so do not really know where it will go, if I keep it up.)

ASPIE ISLAND

Chapter 1. Silent Island - April 9th

It was about an hour past midnight on Vincennes Island. In the Security 'Shack', the three men on duty sat around drinking coffee, chatting and idly monitoring the security camera monitors. The Sergeant Supervisor was in the middle of a funny story about one of the staff Scientists, when multiple perimeter warning alarms sounded and a whole section of camera monitors went blank.

"SH*T!" the Sergeant exhaled. "Why does everything have to happen on my watch."

"And why do I always end up on it" sarcastically muttered the security officer sitting by the camera monitors.

Quickly surveying the indicator console, the Sergeant saw that the alarm indicators that were lit, were all on the western side of the compound. It was the same side of the compound covered by the cameras that were now dead. 'Hmmm...' the Sergeant mused hopefully to himself. 'Power outage ?' Looking up he could see nothing unusual on the remaining camera monitors.

"Where's Rover 2 ?" said the third security officer, in a concerned tone, to no one in particular. He was looking at the Overall Island Display (OID), which was a an electronic map of the island. The display also showed the GPS location of the two mobile Landrover teams which patrolled the perimeter.

Scanning the OID, the Sergeant could only see the digital readout of Rover 1, southeast of the research compound. Rover 2 was nowhere on the map. Picking up the radio mike, he keyed the button and said "Rover teams check in." crisply. He was very tempted to sound the general alarm. This was too many things wrong at once. It would wake the whole compound and bring the Lieutenant and the rest of the sleeping security officers in. But he delayed... still smarting from the terrible ribbing he had gotten for calling two general alarms last month, which both turned out to be false.

"Rover 1 here." came a woman's voice over the speaker.

"Read you Rover 1." the Sergeant responded. After waiting a short while, and hearing nothing else, he said "Come in Rover 2". He was about to make the call again, but was interrupted.

"What the hell is that !?" said the officer sitting by the camera monitors suddenly and pointing at a camera monitor that scanned the north west corner.

The Sergeant looked up to see a flash of movement on the camera, but it was gone in a second and it had been too fast to make out what it was. Whatever it was however, it was big. He turned back to his console and flipping up the protective cover activated the general alarm switch. His hand was shaking. The alarm sirens around the compound sounded and the 30-odd permanent staff and remaing half dozen security people reacted in different ways. The security folks jumped out of bed, and donning minimal gear, grumbled and muttered curses about that bloody jumpy Sergeant. Some of the staff people woke and rose to dress, while others woke, but remained in bed awaiting the expected all-clear siren. A few, waking, shook their heads and went back to sleep.

In the end it didn't matter.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 5:43 pm

```
ASPIE ISLAND

Chapter 2. Spectrum Solutions LTD

Tom Kelly sat in his computer swivel chair, with his legs propped up on arm of the nearby sofa. He was alternately studying a paper he held in his hand, and looking out the window at the sunlit woods. He seemed lost in thoughts and his brows were furrowed. A wet black nose suddenly appeared under his right arm. Switching the paper to his left hand he scratched the small black and white dog absently behind the neck. A second dog, nearly identical to the first, now came up on the left. Out of arms and with a sigh, he gripped the paper with his teeth and reached down to scratch her neck too. Tom often questioned whether it was humans that had domesticated dogs or actually the other way round.

The paper, now getting soggy where he held it in his mouth, was a totally unexpected invitation from Dr. Terrence Blackthorne, a ‘Senior Researcher’ with Spectrum Solutions LTD. Blackthorne was inviting him to come to his company’s remote research complex in the Magdelena Archipelago. Tom had had to look it up, but found the Magdelenas was a sprawling chain of almost 200 islands in the Arafura Sea, about midway between New Guinea and Australia. In the letter, Blackthorne explained they wished to hire him as an entomology research consultant for four weeks, including all expense paid First Class travel arrangements.

Tom did not know Dr Blackthorne, but of course had heard of Spectrum Solutions. The company had made something of a splash in the news when it was formed several years ago by a Consortium of Scientists. It was to be a new Research and Development organization, of varied scientific disciplines, but primarily working in the area of Biology and Genetics. The most remarkable aspect, and the one that had garnered considerable attention, was that it was being formed by and would consist of, almost exclusively personnel which were to some degree autistic. Since its inception, Spectrum Solutions had grown very rapidly, fueled by a steady flow of contracts from organizations and governments around the globe. On the surface, scientific organizations worldwide responded favorably, welcoming ‘diversity’ to the scientific community. But privately, many expressed concerns on the wisdom of such a separation. It was better, they reasoned, for autistic and neurotypical professionals to work together complementing each other’s strengths. A few expressed concern over what the ‘more narrowly focused’ autistics might create and the potential dangers. That Spectrum Solutions was operating remotely and in great secrecy, in the third world country of East Timor (who owned the islands) only added fuel to the fire. Among certain circles, the new company was even given the sardonic nickname ‘SPECTRE’. Resentment however, may have been a factor in generating negative reactions, for when Spectrum Solutions formed, nearly every existing research group had lost employees to it, some of which were considered their most brilliant.

Initial concerns were allayed to a degree when Spectrum Solutions first wave of ‘products’ came out, being a fairly standard range of new medicines, a well received vaccine and both hybrid and genetically improved crops. Its second generation of products however, once again raised concerns as it included genetically altered livestock and insects, the last designed to be better predators against crop pests. Some now expressed alarm stating that Spectrum Solutions was moving too fast and with too little oversight.

But what was most perplexing to Tom at the moment was why Blackthorne wished to hire him. Tom had only recently ventured into Entomology, mainly just to pursue a latent interest that would occupy his mind and time. He had returned to school and got as far as a Masters degree before running out of funding, and then written some very poorly received articles in scientific journals. Tom, still recovering only very slowly from an injury in the military six years earlier, had literally done all his research and observations on his own property in the mountains of Pennsylvania. Peer response to his theories was almost all negative with terms such as ‘under-educated’, ‘inexperienced’, ‘Back yard science’ and even ‘crackpot’ sprinkled liberally among responses. Tom had only received a few positive comments, mentioning that he was bringing a very fresh approach, and asking some very good questions. On his interpretations they hedged, calling them thought provoking but insufficiently backed by data.

Tom knew there had to be a motive, a reason why they were asking him out of such a large field of much more experienced and knowledgeable Entomologists. Searching his brain for plausible reasons, he had come up with three possibilities. The simplest was that his unconventional approach had attracted some notice at the unconventional company, possibly that of Dr. Blackthorne himself. Another possibility was that someone there suspected he was to some degree Autistic, and he was being screened for possible recruiting. That he might be at least partially autistic was not really news to Tom, who had come to suspect it himself a few years back. But he had up to now, felt no need or desire to seek a professional diagnosis. He felt quite sure however, if he accepted this invitation, one way or another the truth would come out. He was not sure he really wanted to know.

The last possibility was that the company was interested in Tom’s specific area of research which was very specific and narrow. In perhaps an ironic twist, Tom, who could no longer do the only thing he had ever wanted to do, which was be a soldier, now exclusively studied how social insects, and most especially how ants, made war.

The invitation letter Tom had held in his mouth fell fluttering to the floor, a perfect bite shaped hole on the top edge. Chuckling to himself, Tom picked it up and with a red marker wrote “OK, I’ll bite…” in big letters on the top.

Last edited by Toy_Soldier on 25 Sep 2012, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:46 am

```
Chapter 3. Blackthorne

Tom stood on the edge of the small runway, slowly stretching his knotted muscles. He was terribly stiff and his old injury throbbed with pain. The scenery before him however, was absolutely beautiful, and seeing it was one of his hidden motives for accepting the job. On one side were jagged mountains covered with dense tropical forest and on the other a tan sandy beach with small clear blue waves crashing on the shore. Dotting the horizon in all directions were the sharp peaks of many other islands, like a fleet of ships steaming across the sea.

Hearing a car approaching he turned to see a Landrover pulling up to a stop very close. A tall thin man got out, removed his sunglasses and said “Mr. O’Rourke I presume?” with a small hint of a smile.

Tom was too fatigued to think of anything clever to say in return, so just answered, “Yep, that’s me.”

The man came around the vehicle a little awkwardly, and offering his hand said, “Hi, I am Blackthorne. Welcome to Krati.”

Tom shook the offered hand firmly, replying “Thanks” and then nodded with his head towards the mountains saying, “Quite a place you have here.”

“Yes”, Blackthorne replied, looking from side to side. “After a while you get used to it, but I still remember my first impression.”

Blackthorne was not exactly as Tom had imagined. He thought from the name, and slightly unusual syntax of his writing, that Blackthorne was probably English, or perhaps an Aussie or New Zealander. But he saw now that he was probably American or Canadian. However he did match Tom’s expectation of what a lifelong Academian looked like. Tall and a little spindly, Blackthorne had short graying hair, and short neatly trimmed white musctache and beard. He wore non-descript professional clothes, with tan slacks and a shortsleeve white collared shirt. He looked like he just could have just stepped out of giving a university seminar. Only Blackthorne’s rugged boots broke the pattern.

“Well…” continued Blackthorne, “ Let’s throw your stuff in the truck. It’s about an hour’s ride to our facility here and we can talk on the way. “ Tom nodded, and picking up his bags, limped stiffly to the rear of the landrover. As they pulled away, Tom took one last longing look at the beach and waves. What he really wanted to do was wade in and let the waves wash his stiffness away. As they drove, Blackthorne told him basic information about the place and what to expect, as a kind of orientation. Tom listened, but was feeling very tired. As usual, he had slept very little on the long flights, and Blackthorne’s measured way of speaking was beginning to put him to sleep.

“Can we stop a moment?” Tom asked suddenly. “I am beginning to nod out here and could use a little walk to wake up and stretch a bit.”

“Sure” replied Blackthorne, “It’s a very long trip” and he pulled over where there was a little clearing left over from the road construction. Tom got out and looking about realized he couldn’t just head off into the dense jungle, so instead just paced back and forth in the slow clearing. Blackthorne got out too and leaned against the rover.

“So how long does the jet lag last?” asked Tom.

“Most people get over it in two to three days” replied Blackthorne.

Tom had stopped walking and was now leaning over looking at the ground intently. “Leafcutters” he said, but as if to himself aloud. Suddenly standing up, he looked at Blackthorn and said, “So Blackthorne, what did you bring me out for exactly?”

“Well you are ruining the slideshow briefing I prepared, but… I guess it doesn’t matter.” Blackthorne responded with mock disappointment. He then walked over to where Tom was standing and pointing at the ground, said “It’s about these little fellows. Not Leafcutters specifically but some other species we have been working with.”

“And what about them? “ asked Tom, looking back at the ants on the ground.

“I am part of a large project trying to develop strains of ants that will protect crops and fruit bearing trees.” said Blackthorne. “You are no doubt familiar with introducing predators, like wasps or ladybugs, to keep pests down (at which Tom nodded), but there has always been a problem getting the predators to stick around or reproduce in the new environment. So we have been working with the concept of introducing ants that would establish permanent colonies, and protect the crops indefinitely. “

“Hmm… interesting idea” replied Tom.

“I thought so too” agreed Blackthorne nodding, and then raising his eyebrows added “It was my idea actually. The project has since been enlarged and divided up though, so currently I am leading the program trying to develop an ant that will protect fruit trees.”

“And where do I come in?” asked Tom.

“Well basically, we are experiencing problems getting the ants to do what we want them to do. We are making logical changes with what should be predicable results, but the resultant ant behavior varies widely , and sometimes wildly, off the target.” Blackthorne answered.

Tom wanted to laugh, but not wishing to offend his new boss, suppressed it to a tight grin. Finally he said “Yes, they can be quite unpredictable little buggers, can’t they?”

Last edited by Toy_Soldier on 25 Sep 2012, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 8:28 am

(I am only able to do small parts at a time, so am using artificially short chapters to indicate new sections)

Chapter 4. Cafeteria Five

Several hours later, Tom found himself eating a Hamburger with Blackthorne in one of the cafeterias of Spectrum Solution’s sprawling main complex. Tom had been surprised at the size of the facility. It was as large as a small town, with many buildings built into the slope of a mountain range. The security too seemed unusually high for a commercial installation. It was surrounded by a double fence topped with barbed wire, and hardened entry points heavily guarded. Well behind the gates were secondary security bunkers and armored cars, something he had only seen before at military bases. He had wondered briefly if the security personnel were Aspies too, though he doubted it.

In between bites, Tom asked Blackthorne “So how many people do you have working here?”

“I’m not exactly sure” replied Blackthorne. “I think it’s up to about 3500 now, and still growing. But some of them are out working on the satellite installations on other islands. ”

“How many other installations do you have?” Tom asked.

“I believe there are twenty five total, but only seventeen are currently operational. At least that was the last number I heard. The number changes as projects start and are completed.” Blackthorne explained.

“Wow… that’s a lot. That has got be expensive as hell.”

“It is very expensive” responded Blackthorne, nodding. “But management has always somehow found a way to keep the funding up.” Tom raised his eyebrows. “Yes… I know, pretty unheard of these days” agreed Blackthorne. “The main reason for having so many facilities” he continued“ is primarily a safety factor that we insisted on from the beginning. It is a kind of failsafe when dealing with these new hybrids and strains, in case of an accidental exposure. Whatever might be released will at least be contained to the island”.

Tom did not believe in ‘Failsafes’ himself. He felt nothing was completely preventable. He wanted to probe Blackthorne’s opinion on the subject, and ask if there had been any exposures, but decided to wait, and not come across too much like an investigative reporter. Some movement caught his eye, and turning he noticed a group of security or soldiers in camo fatigues coming off the serving line with their trays and automatic rifles slung on their shoulders. They were Asian looking to Tom and he didn’t recognize the uniform.

“Are those Soldiers?” Tom asked.

Blackthorne looked up at the men who were now sitting down at a large nearby table and said “Yeah, those are East Timoran… marines I think. This is actually their country of course, and we have a joint security agreement with their government.”

“I noticed the security was pretty heavy” said Tom, returning to his food.

“Yes, very” agreed Blackthorne. “The Timorans have a base on one of the islands, and patrol the waters regularly.”

“Pirates?” asked Tom

“Yes, a lot of pirates are in the area.” Blackthorne answered“ and there is a guerilla conflict going on in the region. The islands, they say, have sometimes been used as hideouts. We are also now supposedly on the Terrorist’s radar.”

“Well that’s not good” commented Tom looking up. And then suddenly feeling like he was being too nosey added “You’ll have to forgive me. It’s my military background. I still instinctively do a risk analysis any time I enter a new environment.”

“Nah, don’t worry about it” said Blackthorne with a dismissive wave. “I knew about your military background. I imagined it’s the kind that gets in your blood.” Tom nodded in agreement. “And to be honest I thought I could see it in your research papers. I don’t mean it as a criticism, because it actually made your perspective more intriguing. There are not many soldier-scientists.”

Just then a remarkable looking pair, a man and woman in white lab coats arrived at the table carrying food trays, and sat next to Tom and Blackthorne.

“Hey Professor” said the young looking man.

“Hi Richard” Blackthorne responded, and pointing to Tom said “This is Tom Kelly the entomologist consultant. “ And then looking at Tom said “Richard is one of our geneticists and doubles as our computer geek.”

“Computer Geek in Chief you mean” Richard corrected in a self-mocking tone, and then half standing, reached over the table with a long arm to crush Tom’s hand like a bear, saying “Hi. Welcome to Aspie Paradise”.

“Hi, glad to meet you” Tom said nodding with a small grin and barely preventing the total collapse of his hand. Tom quickly surveyed the new arrival. Richard was as tall as a tree and as strongly built, with very long brown hair, mustache and beard. He wore thick dark glasses and his hair was unkempt and wild looking.

“And this is Anikka Sorensen, our Biologist.” said Blackthorne, gesturing to the young woman who had sat next to Tom.

“Hello” said Anikka looking up at Tom only very briefly, and then returning to her meal.

“Hi” said Tom. Ms Sorensen was slender but with a strong frame, and had interesting facial features . Tom had always been fascinated by faces and figuring out where the various looks and details came from around the world. Anikka’s features were a bit puzzling however. The dominating look was indeed a northern European facial structure, as the Scandinavian sounding name indicated. But other details suggested a mixed background. Her hair was thick and very dark and she had large dark eyes with a hint of angling. The overall effect was both attractive and unique.

“Anikka is the serious one” Richard added smirking.

“Well, someone has to be” retorted Anikka sarcastically “with you two always off playing with your specimens.”

Richard looked like he wanted to say something, but holding back, just chuckling instead. Blackthorne looked up with one arched eye sidelong, and Tom suppressed a laugh but could not hold back a wide grin.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 7:24 pm

Chapter 5. Crab Island

Blackthorne suddenly looked at his watch as if remembering something. “I have a meeting in thirty five minutes. I’d best be getting you back to your room.“ he said looking at Tom.
“Another meeting”! Richard huffed. “They expect you to go to all these meetings and then they wonder why you can’t get any work done.”
“Yep, that’s about it”. Blackthorne agreed with resignation as he got up from his chair and picked up his food tray.
Apparently this Aspie company was managed the same as all the others, Tom to thought to himself, disappointed. Tom was glad for the guide back, as he always had a difficult time finding his way around large facilities or other built up areas. He needed landmarks to navigate. Once they reached the room Blackthorne told him he would come by at Five-thirty in the morning. They would catch an early breakfast and then meet a helicopter for the ride out to their project research facility on Tuakau Island.
Saying “Goodnight” Blackthorne left.

Although Tom had been up forty eight hours and very tired, he was still too keyed up to sleep. He took a long hot shower and then caught up on some emails. The first was to Jenna to check up on his dogs. Jenna was a Naturalist friend, and Tom had watched a whole menagerie of animals for her over the years, so she could attend overnight Naturalist events and seminars. He had watched birds, a variety of small furry things, amphibians, snakes, and a large intimidating Red Tailed hunting hawk. It was the first time he had asked her to watch his, but she had gladly agreed. Finishing the emails, he then found a favorite old 50’s Science Fiction flick to watch on YouTube. Tom watched familiar movies, as other people took sleeping pills, when he was very stressed and needed to relax. He nearly made it to the end of the film before his sight became blurry and eyelids too heavy to keep open anymore. His head sunk onto his chest and he fell asleep right there in the computer chair. On the screen one of the heroes was grabbed around the waist in the mandibles of a giant radiation mutated ant.

Blackthorne showed up the next morning right on time and after a quick breakfast (Tom followed Blackthorne’s suggestion not to eat too much) they headed over to the helipad. There were half a dozen helicopters parked in a line and one of the larger ones was powered up with crew running it thru its preflight. Richard, Anikka and two other men in security uniforms where already there. Everyone just had one small bag except Anikka who also had some double handed shopping bags piled at her feet.
“Ever been on a Chopper before”! Richard shouted at Tom over the roar of the helicopter engines.
“Yes”! Tom shouted back, nodding.
“Good!” replied Richard smiling.
Soon it was boarding time and they all entered the large cargo carrying helicopter through the lowered back ramp. As Tom strapped into his cramped seat along the side, he saw Anikka make her way up front to the pilot with one of the smaller bags. She showed the pilot what was in the bag, and said something which he could not make out over the noise. The pilot though, broke into a large grin and nodded. Tom looked at Richard questioningly.
Richard smiled and said “She’s bribing the pilot with a six pack of Danish Beer!”.
As Anikka made her way back to her seat, Tom secretly did his little mental ritual for the flight. Lastly he found a place where he could clench and unclench his left hand out of sight. The takeoff went normally and soon Tom was watching the interesting scene below him intently, glad for the distraction. Beautiful green Islands seemed to flow across the light blue sea. After about an hour flight time, Tom saw that they were descending and approaching a medium sized island. It was roughly oval with a tall peak on one end and lesser hills and some flat areas on the other. As they got lower Tom could now make out the buildings of the new research facility arranged in a square. They were on a bluff a few hundred yards from the coast. Nearer the coast Tom was surprised to see what looked like a empty foundation and piles of wreckage. Last he saw a small dock right on the beach with a single ship moored.
Tapping Richard on the shoulder and pointing to the wreckage, Tom shouted “What was that place?”
Richard shouted back “An old research center! French! It was wiped out by the big Tsunami in 2004!”
Tom’s eyes widened and he nodded back at Richard. He wondered what had happened to the people and if they had warning or were caught by surprise like so many others in the region. The chopper made a nice landing right on the cleared foundation of the old French research center. Tom breathed out a quiet sigh of relief and unstrapping himself, stood up to get his stowed bag. He was surprised to hear the engines cut and Blackthorne tapped him on the shoulder saying “Leave your bag on the chopper, this is not our facility. It’s Baukau… ‘Crab Island’. But we will take a thirty minute break here so can go out and stretch our legs.”

Tom’s heart sank at the realization of another flight and he tried to reverse his sense of relief and stay in the mental suspended animation of the moment. As he followed Blackthorne out he saw Anikka had walked quickly out ahead with her shopping bags towards a man who was coming down the path from the main facility. When they met she dropped her bags and gave him a tight hug that he returned rather stiffly. Tom had just alongside the last seats in the back of the chopper, where the two security officers had been sitting. The smaller one was standing grabbing his gear as if to leave. The other, an older and large bulky man remained in his seat with his legs stretched out in front of him.
“Now that’s something I hate to see”. The sitting officer said in a disgusted voice.
“You hate to see what?” said the standing officer, looking out the back of the chopper.
“A Chic like that wasted on some Coconut Moron” the large sitting officer responded.
“But she’s a Coconut too” said the standing officer, flippantly, finally seeing what the other was talking about.
“I didn’t say I wanted to marry her!” replied the large officer, and both officers burst out laughing.
Tom had by this time reached the bottom of the ramp, fuming inside at the large as*hole’s crass comments. He knew he and this piggish cop would become enemies, and it was just a matter of time.
As he hurried to catch up with Blackthorne he heard the large officer’s voice behind him saying “And look at this guy. Where do they get all these fruits from?” and both of the security men laughing again.

Seeing a strange look in Tom’s eyes, Blackthorne asked “Is anything wrong?”
“Nah” Tom responded and kept walking. “So where do we go?” he asked Blackthorne.
“I don’t know,” Blackthorne said, looking at his watch. “We take off again in about twenty-five minutes, so I thought I would just walk down the beach a ways. There’s not really time to go up to the facility.”
They had arrived at the road leading up to the research complex and looking up saw Richard half-way to the complex jogging.
“I think he has a friend here.” Blackthorne said, chuckling.
“Well, I don’t feel like running so the walk sounds good to me” Tom said grinning.
They started down the beach and soon found Anikka and the man from the compound sitting under a Coconut tree. Anikka had obviously brought all the makings of a quick picnic and had a cloth spread on the ground with food. They both held glasses of beer which they were sipping, some bottles propped between them.
Tom smiled and Blackthorne, smirking said “Oh young love!” in a mock Shakespearean tone.

“By the way…” Tom began, “Who’s the Cop with the big mouth back there?”
“You must mean Wilson.” Blackthorne answered, his face clouding. “The big guy who was sitting?”
“Yeah…” said Tom, “That one.”
“Yeah that’s Chief Wilson, head of the security detachment on our Island, unfortunately.”
“Oh that’s good.” said Tom sarcastically. “Is he always such an Ass?”
“Mostly.” Blackthorne answered.
“He’s not an Aspie. Is he?” asked Tom.
Blackthorne snorted at the suggestion, saying “Definitely not. There are almost no Aspies in security anymore.”
“But there were at one time? I was wondering about that.” said Tom.
“Yeah… in the beginning there were.” Blackthorne began with a hint of sadness in his voice. “Almost everyone working here was. But it started to change a few years ago. Now security is basically all NT and over time they have been moving NTs in to take over nearly all the management positions.”
“I see. What happened?” Tom asked curiously.
“It’s a bit of a story. I’ll tell you about it later, when we get some time. There’s not much to do after work anyway, except more work.“

Tom had been scanning the ground as they had walked and talked. He’d always liked beachcombing and was curious to see what might turn up on these faraway shores. Back at his house he still had some relics of beaches combed past, including some radiant baby Conch shells and a side plank off the side of a wrecked boat, ‘The Raven’. Looking up now to get his bearings, he saw the way mostly blocked by a rocky outcrop that came right down to the water. It looked like you could make your way around it, but the coast line took a sharp bend at this point and they would be out of sight of the chopper.
“Better stop here.” said Blackthorne, obviously thinking the same thing. And he found a place to sit on the rocks to rest.

Tom remained standing looking back towards the helicopter. His thoughts turned to several years ago. He had been in Duncan Doughnuts buying the Sunday paper, when the news broke on the TV mounted on the wall and the first horrific images started coming in. “Were they here, down on the shore, in the buildings when it happened?“ he suddenly asked out of the blue.
Blackthorne looked up at Tom oddly for a moment, perplexed. But then understanding he said “Oh…. Yes. Well, most of them. Two were up higher working at one of their field stations and survived.
“How many perished?” asked Tom, still looking like he was in a bit of a trance.
“I’m not sure.” said Blackthorne. “I think I remember it was seventeen that died.” After a pause he then said, “ But in a way, that is how we got our start really.”
“Really?” asked Tom, coming out of his reverie, “How so?”
“Well, the two survivors happened to be the Facility Chief and a Biologist.” said Blackthorne, “And the Biologist also happened to be as Aspie. The story goes, that the two came up with the idea of Spectrum Solutions while they were stuck on the island waiting for days to be rescued. The Facility Chief was the one that arranged the initial financing to get the ball rolling and the Biologist was one of the original 30 Scientists in the Consortium.”
“Wow, no way! ” Tom exclaimed “That’s like out of a movie.”
“Yeah…” Blackthorne replied absently, having drifted off into his own reverie. “But what kind of movie is it going to turn out to be, is what I want to know.”
They heard someone calling now in the distance and waving their arms by the chopper.
“Whoops, time to go” said Blackthorne getting up slowing.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 2:20 pm

Chapter 6. Bug Island

The helicopter ride to Tuakau (nicknamed by the staff ‘Bug Island’) was short. Conversation was impractical in the noisy chopper. Tom spent the trip secretly surveying his new enemy the Security Chief, devising strategy. The Chief was over six foot, thickly built and undoubtedly very strong. Unusually arrogant and insulting, and even now the Chief was openly leering at Anikka. He obviously didn’t care what anyone thought. Anikka for her part ignored the Chief and was staring out one of the windows. Tom noticed however that she was tapping her foot on the floor rapidly. Considering strategies against this consummate and likely professional Bully, Tom ruled out a frontal counterattack. Getting in the man’s face with fury might, if persistently followed, get him off Tom’s back, but that was it. He had no leverage with which to get him off anyone else’s back. He could not threaten the Chief physically, and it was very unlikely he could threaten him professionally. The Chief was a probably a Pro, and well knew how to protect himself from any formal charges. And even if charges were possible, it is likely that the management would not take any action. Tom’s temporary employment situation also made it doubtful anyone would take him seriously. He finally decided on using a psychological approach, and began by staring directly at the Chief. Whenever the Chief caught him staring, Tom would look away, and then resume as soon as the Chief moved his eyes elsewhere.

As they approached Bug Island Tom could see the research station was laid out identically to the one on Crab Island. It was positioned on elevated ground above the beach, and a gravel road linked it to a small dock on the shore. But here, there were two boats moored and a helipad had been built next to the facility.

They landed without incident and as Tom exited the helicopter, the Chief stood up blocking his way saying “What the hell are you staring at.”, with a challenging glare.

Tom shook his head as if coming out of a daze, and looking up in the man’s eyes said “What? Was I staring?” and then looking down rubbing his forehead said “I don’t know… I think I missed one of my medications.” The Chief made a disgusted face, but didn’t say anything more, and left the Chopper. Looking up, Tom saw Blackthorne looking at him quizzically.

They all walked around the fence perimeter to the only entrances to the compound at the security building. There, Tom signed in under the glare of the Chief. Blackthorne then showed Tom to the two storied men’s dormitory. The rooms were small and floors shared a common bathroom and showers. You could not expect palatial at a field station, but Tom wondered how long people remained at these stations and if they had problems with people quitting. Blackthorne mentioned that lunch would be served shortly in the cafeteria building and left Tom to clean up and settle in. At lunch, Tom met the rest of Blackthorne’s team, a middle aged Brazilian man named Pilla who was the teams Entomologist and a very young English woman named Katy who was an Agricultural specialist. Looking around, Tom saw about 30 people eating at the scattered tables, and asked Blackthorne how many people worked at the station.

“There are four project teams including ours, a dozen security people and some staff and maintenance personnel. “, Blackthorne answered. “Forty nine people total last I counted… plus you makes Fifty.”

“DIGITHEAD!”, a man’s voice suddenly boomed right behind Tom, startling him. “You made it back!”

“Yeah well… I tried to desert on Krati but got picked up.”, Blackthorne answered with feigned disappointment.

“Ha-ha… well don’t try to desert here.”, The loud man said chuckling, “ If the Chief catches you he would shoot you! Hell, he would enjoy shooting you! Ha-ha “.

Tom twisted his head around to see who this ass was and saw a tallish middle-aged man with longish reddish blond hair and slightly wild eyes.

“Who’s this?” the loud man said pointing right in Tom’s face, which cracked a crooked smile at the man’s blatant rudeness.
“ Tom Kelly.” Blackthorne said. “He’s the Entomologist special advisor.”

“Ok Yeah!” the loud man said. “About time you got here. Kelly ? You Irish?”

“Ummm part.”, said Tom.

“Well, then maybe you’re not totally useless.”, the loud man said, still smiling. “So how’s your project coming Digithead? Is your product ready for Eval?”

“No… of course not…” Blackthorne said slowly, “if you read my daily reports..”

“I don’t read half that crap!” The loud man said, cutting Blackthorne off. Shifting to look at Anikka the loud man suddenly said “Hi Anikka!” in a exaggerated friendly tone. But Anikka did not respond and just continued eating. “HI ANIKKA!” the loud man repeated.

“Hello Mr. Lyons” Anikka finally answered without looking up.

The loud man whose name was Lyons, stood there a few seconds longer, snorted, and looking at Tom said. “Well you had better kick these guys in the Ass.” sweeping his hand in the direction of the team. “If they don’t get a product out the door soon, some of them will be going out the door!”, and still smiling turned and was gone.

Tom turned back around and made a face that said ‘Can you believe this guy?” Some smirked, the Brazilian Pilla looked scared and Anikka looked slightly unwell.

“That gentleman is our new Station Chief, John Lyons.” Blackthorne said, before Tom asked.

“Charming fellow.” Tom responded. “So when do I start kicking your ass then?”

“You can start immediately. We have our own project building and will meet thereafter lunch.” Blackthorne said dryly.

Last edited by Toy_Soldier on 01 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 12:07 pm

Chapter 7. Of Ants and Men.

When they were done, they all brought their trays to where the dirty dishes where returned, which was a ledge in front of a narrow slot in the wall. Headless arms pulled them quickly thru the slot. The arms seemed to be talking to themselves, but very rapidly and difficult to understand. No one paid any notice and the group walked outside and across the courtyard. The compound buildings were arranged in a square. The Large security building was built around the entrance in the middle of the south side, which faced the ocean. Opposite it, in the middle of the north side was the Main Lab, the largest building in the compound. The rest of the square was made up of about 10 smaller buildings, and it was to one of these, with a large number two painted on the corner, that the group walked.

Entering inside Tom saw it was mostly one large space divided up into two sections. On the right was where everyone’s desks and computer stations sat. On the left was a cleared area with a small conference table and chairs. All around the walls were white boards covered in formulas, writings, diagrams and graffiti. At the end of the room was a tiny office and bathroom and in one corner a coffee bar, much to Tom’s satisfaction. “Is that coffee from today?” Tom asked

“Yes, from this morning, but I am afraid it will be pretty strong now.” answered Katy.

“Would you mind if I had some?” Tom asked.

“No, go ahead help yourself.” she answered. “There’s milk and sugar in the fridge under the pot.”

“Milk?! Sugar?! Then there is civilization even out here at the end of the earth!” Tom exclaimed smiling.

“Well yes, and there is tea of course too. Wouldn’t be real civilization without Tea. But what did you expect? That we drank coconut milk and ate roasted lizards?” Katy said chuckling.

“I haven’t been out in these parts before, so I didn’t know what to expect. I packed my pith helmet and elephant gun just in case I ran into headhunters or cannibals.” Tom responded laughing.

“But we do have those.” Richard chimed in. “We just call them management here.”

Blackthorne went to the head of the conference table and set up a laptop computer. He connected the laptop to a smart board behind him with a cable and then powered both up. The rest took seats around table. Sitting back down Blackthorne said “This is the PowerPoint presentation I just gave to the senior staff on Krati and I thought it would serve to bring Tom up to speed on the project. None of you have seen it either actually, and it is a way to summarize what has happened up to now, and then we can talk about what is next.

“Errr… us going out the door? “ said Richard sarcastically.

Blackthorne just gave Richard a look and then got up to shut off the light and close the window blinds. Sitting back down he started the slide show and began explaining the project from the beginning. Tom could well believe Blackthorne had spent a good deal of time on the presentation because it was well organized and narrated. Tom soon found himself engrossed in the story of the teams efforts, what had been tried and the problems they had run into. It began with defining the goal which was an Ant colony that would: Nest in or around trees; Forage for insects on the trunk and foliage; Not harm the trees or present a serious threat to humans, livestock or pets.

The next section detailed how the species Smaragdina, one of the ‘Weaver’ ants species was chosen as the base Ant. It possessed many of the desired characteristics and had already been used by indigenous populations in China, Vietnam and Indonesia to protect tree crops for at least 1600 years. The Weavers built arboreal nests out of leaves and larvae silk. Weavers carried their own silk producing larvae to the spot and use them like glue guns. Weavers multiplied rapidly and formed new nests in nearby trees. He mentioned how some Vietnamese growers strung ropes between trees to facilitate movement and spreading of the colonies. Weavers foraged mainly on insects they found in the trees and were one of the most socially advanced Ant groups on earth with many cooperative behaviors. They did not have a potentially problematic soldier caste, but instead just two distinct types of workers, one large for outside foraging and defense and one small for working in and near the nest.

The undesirable traits of the Weavers were then identified. The first was that they were also Scale Insect herders. This meant that they did not harm scale insects which were a damaging tree pest (like aphids) but instead actually protected them, and in some cases moved them from place to place. In return the scale insects would secrete nectar when tapped by the ants, which was a very nutrient food for the ants. The second problem was Weavers also preyed on flying insects which served as natural pollinators to the trees.

Then followed the series of experiments tried using both hybrid and genetic alteration techniques to eliminate or minimize the undesirable behaviors. The results had so far been mainly unsuccessful. The last major experiment involved a complicated Genetic alteration with the goal of having the Weavers prey on the Scale Insects. Initially the experiment had very encouraging results but it was followed by unexplained total colony collapses one week later. The presentation ended and Blackthorne standing, turned the lights back on, and walked around opening the window blinds. The bright sun flooded back in causing everyone to blink as their eyes readjusted.

“Any initial impressions Mr. Kelly?” Blackthorne asked.

“Hmmm… well I guess first, everyone can call me Tom, or just Kelly if you want. This ‘Mister’ stuff makes me uncomfortable.“ Tom said. “On the project, it looks like you chose an excellent species as a base Ant. But I am thinking those are fairly dramatic changes to its basic nature. Like making a bear eat the bees instead of the honey, or cats not hunt birds. So I am not surprised it is very difficult to accomplish. I am not familiar with genetics, but would have guessed it would require many smaller intermediary steps and take quite a bit of time.”

“I thought we had something there with that last experiment.” said Richard ruefully.

“We did have something.” Anikka remarked. “It looked like about 50% of the Weavers were preying on the scale bugs rather than milking them for nectar. And Pilla hasn’t yet determined what killed the colonies off. It may have been totally unrelated to the experiment.”

“Well yeah,” replied Richard, “but it is a bit of a stretch to think of it being only coincidence. I mean we just made a major genetic alteration.”

Where is Pilla by the way?” Anikka asked, suddenly looking at an empty chair.

“I could have sworn he was here when we started.” said Richard.

“He was.” said Blackthorne. “I saw him get up and I thought he headed for the bathroom.”

Richard got up with an exaggerated sigh, and going over to the bathroom knocked, saying “Hey Pilla, you in there!” Getting no answer he opened the door, peered in and then turned back to the group saying “Nope.”

“Well that’s weird.” said Katy, getting up to go over to the Coffee bar
“I think he has been acting strange for some time now.” said Anikka. “I keep on asking him to investigate the colony collapses and all he says is it was the genetic change. And when I say we must be sure and prove it he got upset or angry.”

“That’s not like Pilla.” said Richard.

“I know.” agreed Anikka, “so something must be wrong.”

“What do you mean ‘wrong’” asked Blackthorne. “Most of us have bad periods out here at one time or another.”

“Yeah, but you sort of recognize the normal up and downs after a while, and this one seems different.” answered Anikka.

“He might be worried that it is going to be blamed on him somehow.” suggested Katy. “With the new management and the atmosphere changing , I can’t really say I blame him.”

“And also Mr. Kelly’s arrival.” added Anikka. “Pilla could see that as his potential replacement.”

“Yeah, and remember Lyons at lunch.” said Richard making a sour face. “And it is only going to get worse I believe”.

“How so?” Anikka asked.

“I just heard, the new rumor on Crab Island. One of their Project Supervisors is getting reassigned and replaced by a new hire, that’s not on the spectrum. “ Richard said portentously.

“Serious?” asked Katy. “A Project Supervisor? So what are we going to be then… just bloody Aspie slave workers?”

“OK, hold on a minute.” interrupted Blackthorne. “I think we are drifting off topic a little too much. Katy will you go see if you can find Pilla please?”

“Sure” Katy said getting up.

“Right now we need to get back to discussing our work.” said Blackthorne to the rest.

“OK Boss” said Richard sarcastically.

“Uhh… Tom, did you have any other initial thoughts?” asked Blackthorne.

“Yes…” said Tom nodding. “One is that I think Anikka is correct, in that the last experiment is not complete until you know what killed off those colonies.”

“If it can be determined.” interjected Blackthorne. “If it was genetic based there will be nothing to find, and if it was something else, well you remember how long it took to figure out what was causing the Bee colony collapse.”

“Yes, that is true, but a full autopsy, for lack of a better word is still called for.” Tom responded. “It’s probably unlikely, but we have to check to make sure it wasn’t something else.”

“Alright, I can get Pilla on that” agreed Blackthorne.

“Secondly, it might be useful to take the team thru some exercises.” Tom said.

“What kind of exercises?’ Anikka asked doubtfully.

“They will be some field exercises to get you thinking about these problems from a different and quite important angle” replied Tom.

“What angle?” asked Richard.

“The Ants view.” Answered Tom.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

Chapter 8. Searchers and Scavengers

“Sorry, but I am not crawling around on my belly on the ground” said Anikka.
“No, it won’t be that bad.” said Tom chuckling. “But I will need some time to prepare and put together some materials.” Looking at Blackthorne he said “You don’t have a chemist on your team, but is there one here on island?”
“Yes, Dabo is a chemist who works at the lab.” answered Blackthorne.
“Can I get his assistance with some things?” asked Tom.
“Yes, he is the facility chemist and is not assigned to any team specifically. I will take you over there now if you like. I was going to give you the fifty-cent tour anyway.” said Blackthorne.
“I will also need to raid your supply storeroom.” Tom said, smiling.
“Rare is the thief that tells you what they are going to steal.” said Blackthorne in mock amazement. “But I had better go with you for that. We don’t get visitors here very often and the security people are very bored. I would hate to see you get arrested on your first day, and the Security Chief doesn’t seem to like you already.”
“The feeling is mutual” Tom replied.

Blackthorne then took Tom for a short walk around the facility. Besides the Lab, Security Building and Dorms, there were storage sheds, a power station, medical hut, and maintenance building. There was also a large garage with some four wheeled all-terrain vehicles. In the storage sheds Tom scavenged some empty squirt bottles, protective eye glasses, a lab coat and a few rolls of duct tape. Putting it all in an empty garbage bag, Tom last tossed in a few black markers.
“Ok, I am finished filching” Tom said.
They then went into the two-storied lab, which Tom saw was the heart of the complex. He noticed only the lab and security buildings were of sturdier cinder block construction, with the rest being prefab metal. The main floor of the lab was quite packed full of equipment and looked very up-to-date. Quite a few people, mostly in lab coats went about their business at workbenches or equipment stations. There wasn’t much talking and no music piped in over speakers. Blackthorne took Tom up a stairwell in the corner to the second floor, which was more organized in rows of workbenches and work stations, and showed him the area his project team used. There were many glass cases with ant colonies on the tables and stacks of papers and folders piled high. Blackthorne briefly walked Tom thru the other three project areas, which were working with different insects, like wasps and beetles. The last area was used by another team also working with ants, but for ground crops, not trees. All along Blackthorne introduced Tom to the various staff, whose names Tom forgot as soon as he heard the next. But when he met the other ant team, Tom felt a distinctly cold reception, for there were no smiles and some open scowls from one or two.
“Cheerful bunch.” whispered Tom sarcastically to Blackthorne as they left the other ant team.
“Yeah, they have always been a peevish lot, but it has gotten worse under the new boss, who seems to encourage competition between the teams.” said Blackthorne.

Returning downstairs, Blackthorne took Tom into the middle of the congested lab to meet Dabo the chemist. Dabo turned out to be a Nigerian, of large build, very large eyes and a very friendly disposition. He was dressed in a light green lab coat and wore a short green african-style cylindrical hat with colorful and elaborate embroidering.
“Hi Dabo, this is Tom Kelly, our teams special advisor.” said Blackthorne to Dabo who was standing at a workbench working on a computer.
Turning, Dabo offered his hand to Tom and with a fake Irish brogue said “Ah well, it’s always a pleasure to meet a fellow Son of the Emerald Isle.”
Tom was startled, uncertain if the man was serious or not, and smiling quizzically took the man’s hand with a firm grip.
But then Dabo burst out laughing at Tom’s discomfiture, revealing the joke.
Tom laughed too and found himself instantly liking the man.
Dabo then leaned over, and behind a large hand whispered conspiratorially “But please keep the secret because I’ll stay on his good side as long as the new boss thinks I’m Irish.” and Tom laughed even harder at the new joke.
“Dabo…” Blackthorne began, getting back to business, as was his wont, “We need your assistance in making up some formulas. Tom has the requirements, so if you don’t mind I will leave him with you. I need to get back to the office to talk with Pilla.”
“No problem man.” said Dabo. “Little Katy was in hear just a little while ago looking for Pilla.”
“Was he here?” asked Blackthorne.
“Yes, earlier I saw him briefly, but he left before Katy arrived.” said Dabo.
“Well, then I best help track him down.” said Blackthorne sounding a little exasperated, and he walked out.
Dabo watched Blackthorne leave for a few seconds, and then with a start, as if he had already forgot Tom was there, suddenly turned to Tom, and asked what he could do for him. Tom opened the bag and placed the empty plastic squirt bottles on the workbench in four rows of four, and explained he needed them to contain water solutions of four different very strong smells.
“Four of each?” asked Dabo.
“Yes” said Tom nodding.
“How strong?” asked Dabo.
“Hmmm… “ began Tom, thinking for a few seconds. “I would say stronger then cologne, if possible, but not as strong as a skunk.”
“Hmmm…” Dabo said in return.
“But it is important that the smells be easy to tell apart.” added Tom.
“Ok, I think I can do that. When do you need them?” Dabo asked.
“I’d like to use them first thing in the morning if possible.” Tom said tentatively.
“Well, at least that is better than the usual ‘Now.’” said Dabo smirking. “But you need to help then, so start by filling all these with water, to about three quarters full. There’s a sink over there.”

A few hours later Tom carried all the materials he’d gathered back to his room. He would have gone to the project office, but didn’t want to be distracted by questions and conversation. Before starting in earnest however, he went to the cafeteria which kept the coffee bar open in between meals and made two cups to bring back to the room. On his way back across the compound courtyard he ran into Blackthorne and Katy. Tom thought they looked concerned, especially Katy, and asked if everything was alright.
“Yes.“ said Blackthorne. “Pilla is playing hard-to-find is all. But I just found out he signed out of the compound at the security shack about an hour ago and was headed towards one of our test groves. I am going to send Richard and Anikka out on a four wheeler to get him.”
“Oh ok.” said Tom. “I will be assembling that stuff in my room if you need me.”
“Right.” said Blackthorne, who then looked at his watch and said “Do you want me to swing by to pick you up for dinner? We generally all eat together at six.”
“Yeah, sounds good.” said Tom. “Jacket and tie required?”
That got a small chuckle out of Blackthorne and Katy and Blackthorne said “You are welcome to if you want. But I best warn you that you might feel a little over-dressed.”

Saying goodbye, Tom headed back to his room to get some work done. It was simple work and gave him time to think about things. An hour or so later, he heard something of a commotion outside and looking out his only window, saw a bunch of people gathered by the security building, including Blackthorne, Katy, the boss Lyons, and several security officers. After a few moments he saw three of the four wheelers leave out the gate, each with two security officers, and that they split up and headed off in different directions. Tom guessed that Pilla was still missing. Blackthorne however still showed up on time, a little before six. On the island, Tom would soon learn, you had to eat on schedule or go without. From Blackthorne Tom learned that Pilla was indeed still missing and that Richard and Anikka had not been able to find him at the test grove or any of the field stations. Security, as Tom had seen, was now doing a full search with the vehicles.
“Have people walked off like that before?” Tom asked. “I mean working out here must get to people sometimes, and they might need to get away from everything for a while.”
“Yes… that does happen quite a bit actually.” said Blackthorne. “But not quite like this before. Usually they just go a little ways off, like down to the beach or walk along it. And if they decide to take a hike, will let someone know. Plus, Pilla has been acting a little off lately, so we are concerned and as a precaution taking it pretty seriously.”
“Yeah, that is always best.” agreed Tom.

The whole team was there at dinner, but conversation was subdued, and consisted mainly of Tom asking questions and getting very short answers. No one seemed to feel like talking. They were all having tea or coffee after eating when Lyons walked in the Café and came over to the table. His expression was very serious, and he said curtly “Blackthorne, I need to see you outside.” Without a word, Blackthorne got up and the two walked out.
“This is not looking good.” said Richard to no one in particular.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 5:45 pm

Chapter 9. Strange Lessons

Once Blackthorne and Lyons were outside Blackthorne asked if they had found Pilla.
“No.” Lyons answered. “But they did find his clothes.”
“What… what do you mean?” Blackthorne asked, his voice stammering a little, as concern welled up inside him.
“One of the security teams picked up his tracks along the beach and found his clothes stacked neatly in a pile on the beach. It looks like he went into the water and… then we don’t know. He might have drowned or been attacked by a shark. It might have been suicide.” Lyons said.
“We should look for a note.” Blackthorne suggested.
“We already are.” said Lyons. “I have security treating it as a missing person and they are searching his room and work area. But here’s the thing. We found his clothes on the far side of the island, right at the point.”
“Strange. I mean to walk that far just to take a swim.” said Blackthorne.
“Uh huh.” said Lyons nodding. “And I already called it in to Krati, so there will probably be some people from headquarters coming out to investigate as well.”
“Ok, but do you want us to do anything? I mean shouldn’t we do a complete search.” Blackthorne asked.
“No, nothing special. Just carry on with your work. Good timing you got your Entomology advisor in now, cause it looks like you are going to be short one.” Lyons said with a sardonic laugh. “I will have security teams out 24/7 until the whole island is searched. It is possible he may have drifted with the current and come back to the island at a different spot. Both boats are putting out soon to start searching the water too. It’s about time security had something to do, so you guys just keep at your work.”
“Alright.” said Blackthorne nodding. “It looks like you are doing everything that can be done.”
“I am.” Lyons replied. “I hope we find the guy alive, but if not I want the body at least. I don’t like things being missing.”

Blackthorne went back in the café and gave the team the news. It was a bit of a blow to most of them, and they remained there talking it out, drinking tea and coffee, even after the café technically closed. Katy seemed most shaken up of all, and cried. Tom did not know whether to stay or leave them their privacy, but eventually decided to remain. They finally broke up late in the evening and went to their rooms.

In the morning they all met at the team building and Blackthorne told Tom to go ahead with the training exercise, but that he would remain behind at the office and monitor the ongoing search for Pilla. Thinking it would be good for the team to keep them distracted, Tom divided up the equipment into separate bags for each and led them all out of the compound quickly and far enough to be out of sight of the compound. Stopping in a sandy grove of coconut palms he laid out his equipment and showed Richard, Anikka and Katy how to get themselves suited up for the exercise.

“Ok, I know it’s hard to concentrate right now…” began Tom, “…but I would like you to try and forget everything else for a while and just focus on these little exercises. Just let your mind go blank and try to go thru the simple motions and thought processes of an ant.”
“I think I am already an ant” said Richard, getting a few grins.
Tom then put on a lab coat, and put five spray bottles in the large pockets at each hip. Then he put on a pair of taped over safty goggles, and pushed it back onto the top of his head. Raising his arms and waving them in little circles over his head slowly he said, “These have to do double duty. Normally your arms are your antenna with which you can feel things and more importantly smell them, for an ant smells with its antenna. But if you must fight then they become your mandibles.” And he made his arms like two hooked pincers in front of him.

“Now as you know ants make a lot of use of chemicals, phereomes, in communication. At least twenty different ones are known, but any given ant species only uses some of them, and for us today we will limit it to five different phereomes.” Taking out one of the spray bottles in his pockets he showed them it was marked ‘Trail’. He sprayed a little on a nearby palm trunk and the team smelled a pungent leafy smell. “This is probably the most common chemical used and the one we will mark trails with”. Then taking out a second he showed them it read ‘Alarm’. “This one is for when you detect danger or are being attacked, etc. Alarm excites other ants and will bring them running.” And spraying a little on the ground the team detected a chlorine smell. The next he showed them was labled ‘Don’t follow’. “This one is for marking a trail as not worth following” and he squirted some on the ground. The others soon wrinkled their noses as the new scent was sulfurous and unpleasant. He then showed them the ‘Hive Scent’, and said “This is what you and all the other ants in your nest smell like.
“Hmm… let me see this one.” Said Anikka with a suspicious expression on her face and she found her own in her pocket. She squirted a little on a ground and a very pleasant scent floated up, lime fruity almost like cologne. “Well that’s not so bad then” she said, surprised and squirted a little on her inner wrist and touched it to behind both her ears. The others all laughed and she said “Hey, stuff like this is hard to come by on this island and I didn’t want to see it wasted.”
Shaking his head, Tom showed them the last bottle, which was not marked with a name, but instead a skull and crossbones. “You have to be a little careful with this one, for this is your attack chemical formic acid.” And he sprayed some on the palm log. An acrid smell rose.
“You know, we already know most of this don’t you.” Anikka said, with a slight tone of annoyance.
Katy, who had been looking at the ground lost in thought for most of the demonstration, looked up at Anikka, who met Katy’s look stonily.
“Yes, of course you know most of this, but it’s not facts I am here to demonstrate.” Tom responded mildly. “But just give it a chance and see if you find any value in it yourself”. Then looking at his watch, Tom said “It will all be over by lunch anyway.”
“Well that’s not so bad then. I’m getting kind of hungry” said Richard grinning.
“You just ate breakfast Richard!” exclaimed Katy giggling.
Tom cleared his throat to get their attention and pulled the goggles down over his eyes, saying “These block most of your vision, but not all. You can see a little way in front and on the sides. This is because most ants are of course nearly blind. Richard would you come here for a moment?” Tom asked.
“Sure” said Richard and moving forward towered a good half foot higher then Tom.
“Ants also use touch and sounds as communications, though not all are understood yet.” Tom said, “For instance most all ants always will touch antenna with every other ant from their nest that they pass. It hasn’t been figured out what purpose it serves yet, though some theories have been proposed, including a very contested one that there is a language in use. So when you pass another ‘ant’ touch forearms like this.” And Tom raised his arm up in front of Richard.
Richard raised his own arm and touched it briefly to Toms saying “Sup Brah”.
“It’s ‘Sister’ brahhhh.” said Anikka. “All Ants except the drones are female.”
“Wait, no one said anything about having to be a transgender ant.” Richard complained in mock indignation.
“It’s just nature.” said Tom shrugging, “You were born that way.”
“Well maybe I will only play if I can be a drone and get a date with the queen.” said Richard smiling.
“Sorry, but we are doing worker exercises and drones don’t do any work.” responded Tom.
To which Richard just shrugged in response making a face as if to say ‘So’?
“Forget it Richard. If we got to do this, you do too.” said Katy.
Richard then dropped his shoulders and made a long face mumbling “Oh OK, the ‘Queen’ has spoken.”
“That’s right.” agreed Katy. “Now go out there and get some food. I want chocolate.”

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

ASPIE ISLAND - Chapter 9 Strange Lessons, Part 2

“Alright, let’s get started.” said Tom. “You three are in the ant nest. You can start by spraying some of the Hive scent on yourselves.” The three squirted some of the fresh smelling scent on themselves. Richard used his like after shave and deodorant, spraying some under his arms, which caused some giggling. Tom then walked a little distance away and placed a coconut on the ground. Chosing a bottle Tom then lightly sprayed a path from the coconut to the ‘nest’. “Ant Trail chemicals have two main components. One is a strong smell that lasts only about 30 minutes, which tells the ant the trail is fresh and definitely worth following. The other component is fainter but lasts about a day, and just identifies previously profitable trails. Katy, you will be the first ant out foraging, so put on your goggles, leave the nest and try to pick up the trail.”

Katy stepped forward hesitantly, sniffing the air and began walking slowly along the correct scent trail. She weaved a little left and right but eventually came to the coconut. “OK, I found it!” she said, pleased with herself.

“Good.” replied Tom who stood off to the right of the trail. “Now pick it up and try to follow the path back to the nest.”
“OK.” said Katy, picking up the coconut and starting to walk back slowly to the others. After she reached them she pushed up her goggles and asked “So how did I do?”
“What do you think ants?” asked Tom.
“Shouldn’t she have marked the trail?” asked Richard.
“Good question Richard, but no, because there was only the one coconut. She should mark it only if she found more than one. Her chemical trail would then be fresh and given the other ants indication that there was more food available.
“But she forgot the ‘Do not Follow scent’” replied Annika.
“That’s correct.” agreed Tom. She should have marked the beginning of the trail, nearest the nest with the Don’t Follow scent, which would stop other ants from exploring down that trail.”

Tom then collected several coconuts and made a small pile in the same place the one coconut had been. “Your next out of the nest Richard, and let’s pretend this is another trail left over from yesterday that you will try and follow because there are no other fresh Trail scents that you detect as you circled around the nest.”

Richard put on his goggles and sniffing loudly, made a weaving path towards the coconuts. He picked one up asking “How many should I pick up?”
“Just one. That is all you can manage with your mandibles.” replied Tom.
Richard then walked back slowly spraying the ground with Trail Spray as he went. When he was about halfway back Tom asked him to stop and wait a minute.
“Annika it’s your turn now to go foraging, so leave the nest and try and follow the old trail scent.” Said Tom.
Annika put on her goggles and walked a little unsteadily down the path with her arms out for balance. Tom made a mental note about remembering that many autistic people have coordination problems. Soon she reached Richard and stopped.
“This is where you two touch antenna and smell each other’s Hive scent, and then go about your business.” prompted Tom. The two waved their right arms which bumped and Richard did a little pantomime of doing the old Grind dance, which Annika jerked back away from quickly.
“Pervert ant!” she said in disgust, which drew chuckles from everyone.
The two then made their way around each other, to continue on the path in opposite directions. Tom suddenly stepped forward and grabbed Annika’s arm. Annika was startled by the unexpected grab, and jumped back away from him wrenching her arm out of his grip and giving out a little cry of alarm.
Annika then wrenched off her goggles and angrily said “That’s enough of these stupid games! Will everyone just keep their freaking hands off me!”
Richard stopped in his tracks and Tom said “OK everyone remove your goggles for a moment and look at me. I am not messing with you Annika. It’s part of the next exercise scenario, which is how the harvesters deal with enemies encountered while out foraging. I am a spider and have just grabbed you to try and carry you away. OK?”
Annika took a deep breath and exhaled and then put on her goggles again.

Tom then continued “Richard you return to the nest, because you didn’t hear Annika cry out. Most ants cannot make that kind of sound. Now Annika, come over to me. Though Annika didn’t let out an audible cry, she would make a chemical one. When I first attacked her she would have released her Alarm spray. Annika would you spray the spot I first grabbed you and then lay a trail to me?” Annika nodded and finding the right bottle did as he asked and then returned to Tom. Tom then gingerly grasped Annika’s arm. “Having grabbed the ant I would have first stung her with a paralyzing venom and then tried to drag her away.” Katy made a squeamish face. “Since in this scenario I am bigger and stronger then Annika she is not able to pull away, but is not defenseless either. She has her mandibles to bite and her stinger to paralyze me in return. And turning to Annika said “Now use your Stinging venom.” Annika rummaged thru her pockets looking for the correct bottle, she finally found the one marked with a skull and crossbones and lifted it to spray. “Hold on!” Tom said quickly, raising his hand. “That is a mild solution but still formic acid.”
“Oh Shoot, I forgot!” said Annika a little embarrassed.
Tom Put his goggles on and chuckling said “Don’t worry, it’s your first day on the job as an ant. OK, now you can sting me.” Annika sprayed just a tiny bit on Tom’s lab coat. “I would use a bit more,” Tom said, “remember you are in a life or death struggle. Annika shrugged and made a face that seemed to say ‘OK but you asked for it’ and doused his coat good, so much that it poured down his right leg soaking through the pants. Tom made a startled noise and thrust her spray bottle away saying “OK, I think that’s enough!” a little excitedly. He felt a burning sensation on his leg and pulled at his pants. He felt stupid and considered wading in the ocean to wash the acid away.
Annika put her free hand to her mouth in shock exclaiming “You told me to do it!”
“It's OK Annika. My own fault.” Tom said looking up a little red in the face. But after a moment the sensation subsided and he decided to tough it out and not embarrass himself further by pulling down his pants to check. Privately though he feared later finding his skin red and raw. But he had survived being doused with battery acid in the past and this couldn’t be any worse. He hoped. At least it wasn’t burning holes in his clothes yet. “Good shot Annika!” Tom said finally standing straight and smiling, “but let’s say you exhausted your venom”, and pointing to her spray bottle added “so you can put that away now.”
“Way to go Annika!” Richard said loudly and smiling broadly. “Go Ants!, Go Ants!” he chanted.

Making sure that she had put the bottle away Tom then held Annika’s arm firmly saying “So here’s the situation. Annika has been ambushed and stung, and I am trying to drag her away. But she is resisting, having stung me in return and now fighting with her mandibles and trying to pull away. My venom and I am stronger however and she is going numb from the paralyzing sting, and slowly losing the fight. OK, next ant out of the nest. That’s you Katy. Remember you don’t know anything about Annika. But you would sense the stronger smell on the trail because Richard laid down fresh scent on his way back. You all can leave your goggles off from now on.”
Katy then started walking along the trail towards the coconuts. “Tell us what you are smelling Katy” Tom said.
Katy stopped and sniffed the air and said “Trail scent… and something else.”
“OK, keep walking.” replied Tom.
Katy started along the trail slowly again smelling the air, and then stopped at about the spot Tom had grabbed Annika. “I am smelling something like chlorine now, but faint and I think the formic acid.” She said.
“That doesn’t surprise me.” Said Tom dryly, and Annika made a sour face. “But good, so now you have detected both an alarm and fighting smell. What are you going to do as an ant?”
“I dun no.” Katy said looking around. “I guess I would follow the alarm.”
“You would if you were an aggressive ant.” Agreed Tom, but for teaching purposes let’s say you are more the analytical type. That the alarm scent is faint tells you that not many ants are involved. You decide not commit yourself to the fight and instead just continue the food gathering.”
“She doesn’t want to get involved” Richard said smiling, and Katy threw him a dirty look.
“But is this realistic?” Annika said pulling her arm away from Tom’s grasp. “Ants would defend the nest, wouldn’t they?”
“Yes, most would, but even then there might be a few shirkers. Not all ants make the correct decision and sometimes it falls in a grey area. The nest will survive as long as most ants make the correct decision. But anyway this is not the nest, it is just one or two ants in the wild at risk, and ants weigh the odds in these cases. Katy’s ant knows that the fight is not well supported by her side and her getting involved may just mean the loss of another ant, which is her. So she has decided the best for the nest is to stay alive and get food. Alright Katy, now move down to the coconuts.” Tom said nodding towards then. Katy looked a little upset, probably at being a less then valorous ant, but walked to the little pile of cocoanuts.
“Next ant!” Tom said loudly, smiling. Richard walked down the trail with an exaggerated swagger, smirking. “What do you smell?” Tom asked.
Richard stopped at the place Annika was first nabbed and holding his index finger up said “Hark, I smell a damsel ant in distress!”
“Show off!” Katy injected.
“Yeah, well close enough.” said Tom. “Now what will you do?”
“Get some food!” Richard said smiling and he turned to go join Katy.
“Halt!” Tom said loudly. “Not so fast. You turn out to be an aggressive ant and will follow the alarm trail.” and after a pause added “for academic situational purposes.”
“Academic situational purposes?” Richard repeated looking at Tom doubtfully.
“Never mind that college boy.” Tom retorted sarcastically “Will you just come over here and fight the spider. And don’t forget to lay down a good alarm trail.”
“Of course!” Richard replied and after finding the right bottles walked towards Tom spraying the ground. When he got close he then lifted the other bottle he held saying “Do you want more venom?”
“No!” Tom answered quickly. “Let's just pretend you sting me and then move in for close quarter fighting. So come in and grab one arm.” As he said this he again picked up Annika’s arm. Annika rolled her eyes and looked annoyed but did not pull it away. After Richard came along side and held Toms other arm, he said “Katy, now start your trip back to the nest.”

Katy walked along the trail sniffing the air. As she got to the middle she said “I smell the Alarm scent now. It’s stronger.”
“So you know more ants are involved and the odds are a little better” said Tom “So this time you decide to go and help.”
“It’s about time!” Richard said grinning.
“Well I am coming to help Annika, not you anyway.” retorted Katy in a peevish tone.
“Katy now you would release your own Alarm scent.” said Tom prompting. And Katy fished out the right bottle and sprayed the ground as she approached the other three. “Now you come upon the fight and what is something like the classic Harvester battle tactic, which is for two or more ants to stretch out the enemy so another ant can come in and bite it in half.” Katy winced hearing this. “But the spider also calculates the odds and since more and more ants keep arriving has decided they are now unfavorable. So he drops his prey…” dropping Annika’s arm as he said it, “and shakes the other ant off…” and Tom broke free of Richard’s grasp, with difficulty, “… and he retreats.” and then Tom moved away a little.

“Victory!” Richard said, throwing his arms up in the air. “Woo Hoo!”
“Yes, today you won.” responded Tom coming back to the group. “But not without a cost. You have an injured ant here.” Tom said pointing to Annika. “She is paralyzed, but not dead. The spider paralyzes to immobilize, not kill.”
“What do we do?” asked Katy.
“You bring her back to the nest. Many ants retrieve injured ants, and some reports indicate they can give first aid, in the form of secreting fluids over the wound site.”
“So… do we like lick Annika now?” Richard said grinning hopefully.
“You can lick formic acid!” Annika growled fishing thru her pockets.
“I think we have had enough formic acid for today. You guys are aggressive ants, I’ll tell you.” Tom said holding up his hand. He started to say something else but the noise of a vehicle and someone shouting brought him up short and he looked with the others in the direction of the lab facility. They could make out someone driving one of the 4-Wheelers and coming quickly along the beach. The driver shouted again and they saw it was Blackthorne. They all walked towards the beach to meet him.

Blackthorne pulled up right next to the group and was visibly agitated about something. “Sorry to interrupt, but we all have to get back to the lab. We are going out to Crab Island.”
“Crab Island!” Annika said concerned. “Is something wrong?”
“Yes.” Blackthorne said bluntly. “We just got a report from headquarters that there has been some kind of… problem there.”
“What kind of ‘problem’ said Annika sharply.
“No one knows Annika.” Blackthorne said evenly, calming a little. “There was a distress call last night…”
“Last night! Why are we responding only now? What the hell have they been doing since last night?” demanded Annika.
“They sent choppers with security people. They are reporting damage to the buildings but haven’t found any of the staff.” replied Blackthorne.
“Where are they? What kind of damage?” said Annika her face becoming very worried.
“I don’t know. You know almost as much as I do now.” Said Blackthorne. “ But we have to get back. Headquarters wants a team to go in and see if any of the research equipment and data is missing or damaged, and they picked us. A chopper will be by soon to pick us up. We need to get back and pack up whatever you think you’ll need to bring. So get your stuff quick and get in the vehicle.” The team scrambled back to get their bags and piled in quickly.
“What about me boss?”asked Tom. “I’d like to go too.”
“And I’d like to take you, because I am a entomologist short, but I don’t think they will let a contractor go in a security situation.” Blackthorne answered as he drove.
“Well, you make the request and when they say no, let me do the talking.” said Tom.
“Right.” said Blackthorne, distractedly, like he was thinking about other things.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 5:20 pm

Chapter 10 - Return to Crab Island

There was quite a commotion going on back at the compound as the team drove through the security gate and into the central courtyard. It looked like the entire staff was out, standing in groups talking excitedly. Blackthorne parked the Four-Wheeler in the vehicle shed and the team scattered back to their rooms to get ready for the trip. All, except Blackthorne, who walked towards the small group standing in the center of the compound. Tom followed Blackthorne. As they approached, Tom could see the group was Lyons the Facility Manager, Wilson the Security Chief and another security guy.

“Alright, the team is getting ready.” said Blackthorne as he reached the group.
“Well, make sure they are quick about it. The chopper from Krati will be here any minute.” replied Lyons sternly with his arms folded.
“They will be.” replied Blackthorne evenly. “But I am short an Entomologist. I don’t have a full team.”
The men stared at Tom standing a little behind Blackthorne.
“Not a contractor.” said Wilson, shaking his head. “This is a security situation.”
“That’s right.” agreed Lyons, nodding his head. “Who’s the entomologist on Grabowski’s team.”
“Frank Smith.” answered Blackthorne.
“Smith!” Lyons shouted out over his shoulder to the crowd. A short man in a lab coat and thick dark glasses, approached hesitantly. Tom recognized him from the group that had given him a cold reception during the lab tour. The short man had distinctly mousy features and arrived red in the face.
“You said you were ‘short an Entomologist’, not that you wanted a short Entomologist.” Whispered Tom in Blackthorne’s ear.
“Get your stuff ready. You are going with Blackthorne out to Crab Island.” Lyons said.
“Noooo. I don’t think I can…” said Smith, drawing the words out and shaking his head dismissively.
“Why not!” Lyons said abruptly staring right into Smith’s face.
Smith avoided Lyons eyes and still shaking his head said “Well first, I am NOT a member of Blackthornes team…”
“Yeah I know.” said Lyons interrupting again. “But his regular Entomologist is probably floating somewhere in the ocean face down right now. So go get your stuff.”
Smith raised his hand making a ‘stop everything’ gesture and said “Now wait I wasn’t finished.”, in a very agitated voice. “I also have some serious medical conditions that prevent me from doing security’s work for them.”
“You are not going to provide security.” Lyons shot back. “The island is probably covered in security people right now. You are going to find out if anything is destroyed or missing in the lab.”
“But it is a security situation and my anxiety and bowel condition prevents me from going into stressful environments.” Smith explained, a whining tone creeping into his tone.
Lyons grunted and said “Name one person here that doesn’t have those sort of problems?”
“That is your job, to find suitable personnel, not mine.” responded Smith.
“Look Smith, just get your stuff and get on that chopper when it arrives!” Lyons said in a harsher tone, becoming impatient with the complaining man.
“I am prohibited due to medical conditions from this type of work and since you choose to ignor that, request a Union representative be present and arbitrate on my behalf.” said Smith, looking very nervous and becoming even redder.
“Oh Jesus Christ!” exclaimed Lyons. “OK, forget it, and go back to your lab, but we will address this later with the Union.” And hearing that, Smith scurried away rapidly.
“Freaking little weasel!” the Chief said after Smith left. “I thought the little Homo was going to poop his pants.”
Lyons just shook his head his eyes and said. “Any more suggestions Blackthorne?”
“Just Kelly here.” Blackthorne answered. “He’s the only other entomologist on island and is willing to go.”
“Is that right?” Lyons said loudly over Blackthorne’s shoulder to Tom.
“Yeah, I’ll go. I’m ex-military and will follow Blackthorne’s instructions.”
“Yeah?” Lyons said, “What branch?”
“Air Force and Army both.” answered Tom.
“OK, get your stuff.” Lyons said, “but do not stray from Blackthornes side for one second. You got that Blackthorne? You want him, he’s your responsibility. Do not let him out of your sight or it’s your ass.”
“Alright. I understand.” replied Blackthorne and he and Tom walked towards the dorm building.
“Freaking figures.” The Chief sneered.
“What?” said Lyons.
“Freaking Gay Force. But since they have to be together always, then can wipe each other’s ass.” The Chief responded with a derisive chuckle. The other security man chuckled in response nervously.

Back at their rooms none of Blackthorne’s team knew what to bring, because none had ever done anything like this before. Tom had some experience, though nothing quite like this and he just packed whatever came to mind, in his small knapsack. He grabbed his thermos last and headed for the café to try and scam some coffee. While filling his thermos at the cafe he heard the sound of the chopper coming in. He finished filling the thermos, thinking it might be a long day, and then scampered out as quick as his right leg would allow. The team loaded up into the chopper along with the security guy Tom had seen standing with Lyons and Wilson, and another security man. Tom noticed he had three stripes and guessed he was a sergeant. The security guys were dressed for bear in full black SWAT gear and carried M&P15s, which where one of the civilian versions of the M-16 that security forces favored. Tom was glad to see most of the team had also changed, into heavier clothing and boots, except Annika who was still in shorts, sneakers and a blouse. Annika didn’t seem quite right, and finding her seat, put her head down and was instantly lost in her own thoughts. The rest of the team exchanged glances, and worried how she was holding up. They all assumed she was worried about her boy friend on Crab island.

The chopper took off, sandblasting the area with prop wash, and soon they were up to altitude and on the thirty minute ride to Crab Island. Tom noticed Katy tapping Blackthorne on the shoulder and motioning to change seats so she could sit next to Annika. They exchanged seats and Katy said something to Annika Tom couldn’t hear over the prop noise. Annika looked at Katy, but just shook her head and folding her arms tightly, looked away out the window.
The security sergeant then spoke loudly with Blackthorne telling him that they were assigned to provide security for his team and for Blackthorne to keep them together. Blackthorne nodded, but then looked away and returned to his own thoughts. Tom studied the security men briefly, and noted that besides the assault type M&P15’s that they carried side arms and some sort of grenades, which he guessed where Flashbangs. For protection they wore Kelvar body armor and helmets. The security sergeant noticed Tom was staring and scowled. Tom looked away rolling his eyes privately. Security people were mostly the same everywhere.

“There’s the Island” said Blackthorne, and Tom craned his head to look out the closest window. The first thing he could make out was the dock which seemed intact, and then a boat about 100 yards further out in the water, lying on its side mostly underwater. On the beach above the dock was a small destroyed building and three choppers parked in the sand. A few people in civilian clothing stood by one of the birds, probably the pilots. They flew over the compound itself and began to descend slowly onto the empty helipad. The compound itself was a shock. It looked like it had been hit by a F3 Tornado. Some buildings were entirely knocked down and others had roofs and doors pulled off, windows were broken and debris strewn everywhere. Only the two-story cinderblock construction Lab looked relatively intact. The Secuity building’s cinderblock wall’s still stood but most of it’s roof was torn off. Many sections of the outer fencing was down too, including nearly the whole western side.
“What the hell happened?” Richard said loudly. “It looks like it was hit by a Hurricane!”
Blackthorne shook his headed negatively. “There was no sign of any bad weather in the area last night.” And then he added, “And no seismic activity.”
“This island has bad luck, man.” responded Richard shaking his head. “First the Tsunami, and now this.”
Tom could now make out people on the ground. Some were in a loose perimeter around the compound and others were sifting thru the wreckage. Ominously he saw what looked like two covered bodies on the ground by a small group of people standing in the debris strewn courtyard. ‘If it wasn’t natural, then what had happened here’, Tom wondered. He knew there was Piracy in the area, but pirates were after loot and hostages. This place was destroyed. He thought then about insurgents or terrorists and wished he had done his homework on the political situation in the area. The pilot then announced he was going to land and asked everyone to sit back in their seats. After a soft landing, the pilot killed the engine and the propwash sandstorm soon subsided. Everyone made their way out of the chopper, except Annika. She was curled up in her seat and staring at nothing.
“Out miss.” said the security sergeant.
“No leave her be.” said Katy, firmly.
“What’s wrong with her? I need to keep you all together.” replied the security sergeant, rolling his eyes. He just knew these freaks were going to be trouble.
“She… she had a close friend on the island.” Katy responded.
“So did a lot of people.” retorted the sergeant. “There were 12 security people on the island too you know.”
But Annika suddenly stood and came out of the chopper. “I am ok now.” she said, but didn’t look it.
“Ok, let’s go in then.” said Blackthorne and he headed towards a large section of downed fence.
They had only walked a short way when Katy said “That is weird!”
“What is?” asked Richard.
“The silence.” answered Katy.
“The generators are off and there’s no machinery running.” Blackthorne offered.
“No, it’s more than that.” said Katy. “Listen to the jungle.” And she stopped as she said it.
Everyone looked around and listened, even the security guys. “I don’t hear anything.” said the security sergeant.
“Exactly.” said Katy. “Where are the birds? Where are the monkeys? There is always chattering going on.”
“Frightened off, maybe.” suggested Blackthorne.
“Ok Professor, let’s keep moving.” said the sergeant to Blackthorne. “Let’s worry about the people first and then the local wildlife.”

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

Chapter 11 - Bad Business

The compound looked even worse up close. As they weaved past sections of roofing and shreds of prefab walls, they noticed the ground was pocked with many holes and furrows and patches of dried blood. Katy felt herself getting queasy, and held her stomach with one arm and covered her mouth with the other hand. “Oh my God.” was all she said, and Richard put a protective arm around her small frame.

Tom surveyed the ground closely looking for clues to what happened. But he saw nothing one might expect, like spent cartridges or signs of burning that always came with explosives. There was a profusion of the same marks and furrows in the sandy ground and some footprints and this perplexed him. ‘What would make those marks?’ he wondered. The only possibility he could think of was some sort of all terrain vehicle with strange studded tires. And he also saw several large patches of dried blood, which did not bode well for the other missing workers at the facility. Then he saw something small and incongruous. It looked like a jagged piece of a seashell, but mottled brown and somewhat fibrous. He stooped to pick it up.
“Please do not touch anything out here” said a reasonable voice with a French accent.
Leaving the object where it was Tom rose and saw it was a man in a grey suit followed by another in blue slacks, white short sleeve shirt and with a badge on his right pocket. Neither had ties.
“Good of you to come Professor Blackthorne.” The man in the suit said shaking Blackthorn’s hand. And then looking around at the team and with an unmistaken air of authority, said “For those of you that do not know me, I am Captain Lacourbe, head of Spectrum security. Please understand the whole compound has been designated a crime scene, so nothing must be disturbed without an inspectors permission, until we have completed our investigation.”
“Do you have any idea yet what happened here, Mr. Lacourbe?” Blackthorne asked.
“No, not really, unfortunately.” answered Lacourbe. “But we will find out.”
“But where is everyone.” Annika blurted out.
“We only have located two so far.” said Lacourbe pointing over to a man kneeling by something on the other side of the courtyard. “But they are, I am afraid, deceased. As for the rest we do not know yet. They may have fled into the jungle, or been kidnapped by whomever did this.” And he gestured around the compound with one hand.
“Who are they…” said Annika, looking over at where the bodies lay, the blood draining from her face.
“Actually I was hoping you could help us identify them.” said Lacourbe apologetically.
The team exchanged glances. They had not expected it to be this difficult so quickly.
“Yes, of course.” Blackthorne responded, and the turning to the team said “If anyone does not feel up to this, you can wait here. We all would understand and better that then passing out.” “No, I am ok.” said Annika knowing it was directed towards her specifically. “I am a Biologist and have seen cadavers before.”
Blackthorne then looked at Katy who was also staring at the covered bodies. She stood tense with her arms crossed and was furiously biting a nail. She finally looked up realizing Blackthorne was looking at her, and said. “I do not want to go truthfully, but I am not staying here alone.” gazing around nervously as she said it.
The group led by Lacourbe wove their way thru the debris and gathered to one side of the bodies. Katy kept to the rear and already was half covering her eyes. Annika was in front staring down at the covered bodies with a look that suggested she was already half in shock. Tom wondered now if she should have come and nudging Blackthorne and Richard whispered to each to watch Annika in case she fainted. The man kneeling by the bodies was typing something into his notebook computer and looked up on their arrival. It turned out to be one of the Doctors at the main clinic at Krati which all everyone knew but Tom.
“Bad business, eh?” said the doctor in an Australian accent, and most of them nodded. “Well this one is not too damaged. We found him under a collapsed section of the dorm building and I believe he died of asphyxiation.” and he slowly pulled back the blanket from one of the bodies. The face of an older man with graying black hair appeared. His eyes were closed and he had a blank expression. He seemed dressed in night clothes. Annika let out a long breath.
“That is Antoni.” said Blackthorne sighing. “Franco Antoni. He was the facility Chemist.”
The doctor punched it into notebook, and then said “Ok folks, this one is a bit rougher. He is not too bad overall really, just missing his right arm.”
Annika took in an audible breath and Katy try to stifle a small involuntary gasp. Tom grimaced in anticipation. The doctor slowly pulled the blanket back from the second body to reveal a younger Asian looking man wearing just in a bloody Tee Shirt. His entire right arm was gone, looking severed pretty neatly at the shoulder. The security sergeant whistled.
Annika turned away and went to the back of the group. Katy put an arm around Annika’s waist and this time Annika did not pull away, but leaned her head on the smaller woman’s shoulder and started sobbing quietly. It wasn’t her boyfriend either.

“Any idea how that happened?” said Tom, now kneeling on the other side of the body. Tom didn’t like it any more then Annika but was looking for clues to what had happened. The security set-up here was impressive on the outside, well staffed and equipped, but so far seemed unfamiliar with the region and threats of the region they were in.
“Well we found this one wedged behind some pipes that ran up besides the outside of the power shed wall. He might have been stuffed there, but we think that he tried to hide or protect himself from something by forcing himself in behind the pipes. It took bloody three of us to pull him out, he was in so tight. But as we found the body the left arm would have stuck out. And that is missing. I am pretty sure he died from loss of blood. Tom nodded and then stood.
“Does anyone know him?” said the Doctor.
Everyone shook their heads negatively, but Richard said “I saw him around on visits here but didn’t know his name. But I think he was on one of the Lab teams. “
“Alright, well thanks folks.” said the doctor carefully covering the bodies again with the blankets.
“I must inform you that you may not discuss anything you see here, or any information on the deceased while the investigation is ongoing…” began Lacourbe.
“Where are the others?” said Annika suddenly.
“I already answered that.” replied Lacourbe brusquely. “As I said before we don’t know. Maybe out in the jungle hiding, maybe taken hostage.”
“But taken by whom?” asked Blackthorne. “Pirates?”
“If we don’t know what happened, we do not know who took them, do we, professor?” Lacourbe responded irritated.
“This does not look like the work of pirates.” Richard injected.
“Oh, and are you trained in security sir?” asked Lacourbe sarcastically.
“Was anything taken, that you know of?” persisted Blackthorne.
“No.” responded Lacourbe. “The armory roof was torn off but 10 assault rifles, handguns, ammo and other equipment were all left untouched. That is why we do not think it was standard piracy. And one of the reasons we brought you here. We need to know if any data or other type of equipment was taken. Perhaps they were pirates of a different type.”
“I see.” said Blackthorne rubbing his chin.
“Is anyone looking for them?” Annika demanded. “The other workers.”
“Yes, of course.” said Lacourbe. “There is a chopper in the air searching the island right now. The patrol boat from Crab island is in route and be here in a few hours.”
“So the search for Pilla has been called off ?” Blackthorne asked heavily.
“Yes, but it is unavoidable. Finding the 42 people missing here is simply more important.
“But what about searching the island, on the ground? They could have run into the jungle, and some may be hurt.” Annika asked, becoming visibly more upset.
“I do not have the manpower.” Lacourbe said, shaking his head. “Whom ever attacked the compound may still be in the area. Providing security for the people here now is my first priority. But I have requested additional security and the resources are being gathered as we speak.”
“When do you think they will arrive?” asked Blackthorne.
“They should start arriving around noon tomorrow.” replied Lacourbe.
“Tomorrow!” exclaimed Annika angrily. “But if they are held prisoner or hurt they could be dead by tomorrow!”
“It cannot be helped madam.” Lacourbe answered tersely. “All of Krati was stripped to make up this first team. Two additional boats are on the way but boats take time to get here. The personnel needed to form search parties must be collected two and three at a time from all the island installations so enough are still left to protect those assets. Everything that can be done is being done, I assure you.
“But we can search!” Annika offered, indicating Blackthorn’s team with her hand. “People are more important than this data!”
Lacourbe raised his finger to her saying “You were brought out to find and secure valuable company data. That is all! You are not a search team. There were 44 people here. Two are dead and the rest missing and I won’t have you adding to that number.”
“I am going to look for them, if no one else will.” Annika said grimly. And with that she turned and started walking away. Lacourbe made a motion with his hand and the two security men with Blackthorn’s team went after her. Annika suddenly took off running and with surprising speed.
“Stop her!” Lacourbe shouted, and other security people who had been searching thru the wreckage joined in and converged on the running woman quickly. She was soon run down and tackled. She resisted thrashing and swore at security, but they cuffed her and lifted her to her feet. Blackthorne and Richard instinctively started to go towards her, but Lacourbe spread his arms wide holding them back and said “Please do not interfere gentlemen, or I shall have to restrain you as well. She has become distraught and will be safely transported back to Krati.”
“To Krati?” Blackthorne asked surprised. “ Yes, she is very upset, but who wouldn’t be seeing this…” and he pointed to the bodies on the ground “…and wondering if her friend is a hostage or even alive. Just give her some time to compose herself. I will talk to her.”
“Your treating her like a criminal and she is just concerned about her boyfriend.” said Katy both upset and angry.
“Look, I have serious job to do here.” Lacourbe said raising his voice a notch. “I will not have unstable people jeopardizing our work nor can I afford to waste limited manpower searching if she does get away.” He then looked at the sun which was now low on the horizon, and continued, “The choppers on the beach will be returning to Krati tonight, a little after sundown. That woman…”
“Her name is Annika Bergmann.” interrupted Blackthorne.
“Miss Bergmann…” Lacourbe began again, “..will go with them. And if any of you has any problem following my instructions tell me now and you can go back as well.”
No one said anything, but fidgeted and watched the security men leading Annika back towards the beach. She had stopped resisting and quieted down, and walked with hunched shoulders staring at the ground.
“Alright, exactly what do you want us to do?” asked Blackthorne in a resigned voice.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 12:20 am

Chapter 12 – Captain Lacourbe

“Pardon me for a moment” Tom said to Blackthorne, and then turning to Lacourbe said “Captain Lacourbe, this doesn’t look much like piracy. Could it be terrorists or drug runners, or is there an insurgency active in the area? ”
“Captain you should know that this guy is not a employee, but a contractor.” the security sergeant said quickly.
“Oh really,” said Lacourbe giving the sergeant a icy look. “Nice of you to let me know. And what is a contractor doing here?”
“It wasn’t our call, Captain.” the sergeant replied quickly and holding a hand up. “The Chief protested but Lyons said he could come.”
“And why does a contractor want to come here?” Lacourbe asked Tom.
“I requested him.” interjected Blackthorne. “He is a prominent Entomologist and I brought him out from the States for expert advice on our experiments. Pilla who went missing yesterday was our Entomologist, and I needed a full team.”
“Really. Yes of course you did. And that is interesting. Your expert arrives and your own commits suicide.“ said Lacourbe. He then shifted to a polite tone and said “But how propitious for you to be here just at the right time Mr…?”
“Kelly. Tom Kelly” Tom answered frowning.
“And what company or is it university that you work for normally, Mr Kelly?”
“None, I am an Independent researcher.” Replied Tom steadily.
“I see.” said Lacourbe.
“He said he was also in the military.” said the security sergeant. And Tom began wondering about the loyalties of this company and its employees, or if they had any.
“A soldier Entomologist?” Lacourbe said breaking a grin. “Quite an usual career progression you have had.”and some of the security officers chuckled.
“Speaking of the military, Captain,” Tom began, “ you have a joint security agreement with East Timor if I am not mistaken, and I was wondering if you have requested their help.”
“Well Mr. Kelly, I see you like to stay informed.” said Lacorbe in a more serious tone. “But like you, Spectrum Solutions is independent. An International Business Company with no political affiliation. Our workforce is nearly entirely made up of people with disabilities and our business is feeding an ever growing population and saving lives. Most of the people we serve are in the third world. So no, we are not very high on any terrorist list. And as far as insurgencies goes, there is always one going on in this corner of the world. “But as for Drug running, you have absolutely nothing to fear, for it has long been run by the very same East Timoran military that you wish to see brought in.” Lacourbe said openly smiling and now giving all the security officers a good laugh.
Tom caught Blackthorne giving him a look like he should stop. He met Blackthorne’s gaze and then said to Lacourbe, “Just one last question then.” and he pointed towards the ocean behind them. “The boat out there. It was either intentionally scuttled or somebody made a run for it and did not get far. Have you searched it for survivors?”
“Yes, of course. A chopper searched the whole area.” Lacourbe replied quickly. “But look we do really have a lot of work to do, so if you are done….”
But Tom interrupted, “But what about in the boat. Has someone gone out and searched it.?”
“The boat is sunk and aground on a reef. Anyone left on it is drowned.” Replied Lacorbe impatiently.
“But a few feet of the hull is above water. There may be air pockets within.” Tom said persisting.
“It is possible but unlikely.” replied Lacourbe. “And anyway, we do not have the necessary gear to make the search yet. There is however some on board the ship from Bug Island and the boat will be searched when it arrives.
“It still is hours away and if there are any survivors they may not have hours.” said Tom getting a little heated.
“Mr Kelly, I have humored your questions up to now, but unless you cease immediately and go to work with Blackthorne’s crew, I will put you on the chopper with Bergmann.” answered Lacourbe turning his back to Tom and starting to walk towards the Lab.
“I will go out and search it then.” said Tom to Lacourbe’s back.
Lacourbe continued walking and after a short delay shouted “Suit yourself Mr. Kelly. Enjoy your swim.” He then spoke to the Sergeant saying. “I want one of you to keep an eye on him.”
“Ok Riviera.” The sergeant said to the officer who had come out with him from Bug Island. “You get to babysit the contractor.”
“Great. Thanks.” Riviera replied sarcastically.
“Blackborne” Lacourbe shouted over his shoulder. “Would you and what’s left of your team be kind enough to accompany me to the Lab now.”
“Yes.” Blackborne called back. Then looking at Tom he raised his eyebrows and said “Well good luck to you.”
“Yeah, good luck dude.” Richard said.
“Can you give this to Annika?” Katy asked walking up to Tom. “Its her bag. She dropped it.”
“Yeah sure.” said Tom taking the bag from Katy.
“Please tell her we will contact her as soon as possible with any news.” Katy said lowering her voice so no one else could here.
“I will.” Said Tom nodding.
“And take care of yourself too!” Katy added
“Of course.” Tom replied breaking into a smile. “And you try to keep Richard out of trouble.”
“Yeah, I know.” Katy replied sighing. “He’s just like a big kid.”
“Very big!” Tom said chuckling.

Tom told Officer Riviera that he needed to scrounge up some things. To which Riviera replied he didn’t think he’d find any diving equipment lying around.
” No. Just a rope, a flashlite, some clear plastic bags and duct tape.” said Tom already walking and searching the ground.
“Check the storage building first.” Riviera said. “Or what’s left of it.”

“We have set up our control center in the lab.” Lacourbe said over his shoulder to Blackthorne as he walked. We need you to help collect anything that contains data pertaining to the work here. Computers, storage devices, logbooks and anything else you can think of. We have decided to remove them as soon as possible, so whatever you can find quickly we will put on the choppers leaving for Krati tonite.”

The outside of the lab looked relatively intact from a distance, but up close they could now see it had been damaged. Most of the windows were smashed and chunks of the window frames torn out. The large front door had been knocked off it’s hinges and lay flat on the floor. They entered the building into the small front foyer, and saw the first signs of a struggle, a few bullet holes in the walls. There was a small office on each side of the foyer. Lacourbe’s men had cleared the one on the right and as they passed the open door saw an officer talking on a portable radio set. Lacourbe poked his head in and asked the radio operator a few questions. While he was talking, Blackthorne and the others saw the office on the left was a wreck. The door was lying broken on the floor and half the wall was torn away. A blood trail, now partially smeared ran from the destroyed office into the lab area.
“Jezus” said Richard. Looking back at Katy who was following. She was walking with her arms wrapped tightly around her, her head down and only giving furtive glances to see where see was going.

Lacourbe took the lead again and walked over the smashed remains of what once had been two glass double doors. The large open room that had once been the lab was a disaster and looked like it had been partially bulldozed. There were heaps of broken workbenches, equipment and chairs piled in different spots, but most was pushed into windrows against the walls. The large picture windows along the back wall were all broken out and sections of the surrounding wall collapsed onto the ground. The space nearest the foyer had been partially cleared and a few tables and benches righted. Some computers and files had already been piled there haphazardly. Three security people were there searching thru the wreckage for more.
“Beck!” Lacourbe called out to an officer with a white shirt and badge. “Here are the people from Bug Island.” And then turning to Blackthorne said “You will be working with Beck here. I will be in the front office.”

Tom searched quickly for the materials he needed, aware that the light would be fading soon. The sun was already dropping below the horizon, and cast a reddish glow over the landscape. A few security officers were piling wooden wreckage in the center of the courtyard to make a bonfire. It reminded Tom there would be no lights. Without power, a whole century had been lost. Unable to locate a rope quickly he decided to do without it, and headed down to the beach towards the parked helicopters with the silent security officer, Riviera, in tow.

Back at the Lab, Blackthorne, Richard and Katy joined the salvage operation and soon the piles of computers, log books and files grew on the tables. From the back of the room, one of the officers suddenly called out they thought they found something. The tone of his voice made it sound like it was more then just another computer. It had come from an officer who had been clearing a path thru a large pile of debris to the back right corner of the Lab. The others walked back and found the officer kneeling by a hatch he had exposed in the floor. They also noticed a blood trail leading to the hatch, perhaps the same one they had seen in the foyer.
“It’s a service crawl space.” the kneeling officer said as he pryed up the handle and opened the hatch. He peered down into the darkness and called out loudly “Hello. Is anyone there?” There was no answer and after calling again with no response, he pulled out his flashlight and swiveling his legs into the hole, lowering himself in. The crawl space was shallow, so when he stood on the bottom his head and shoulders still were above the hatch. He then crouched down out of sight. “Hey!” they heard him called out suddenly. “Hey! Can you hear me!”. Popping his head out of the hole, his face was pale and the officer said “There’s someone down there. But they are not responding. Go get the Doc. I’ll take a closer look.” and he disappeared again.
Lacourbe came up and asked who it was. One of the other officers shook his head and said they didn’t know yet.
The officer in the crawl space reappeared shortly and stood up in the hatchway, sighing. “Its one of our security guys.” he said. “Dead.”
“Who is it?” asked Lacourbe sharply.
“Not sure. He’s pretty torn up. Maybe Vance.” replied the officer.
“Did you search the whole space. Is it just the one?” Lacorbe asked.
“No, there are lots of pipes and wires down there blocking the view.” Replied the officer in the crawl space. I am going to have to work my way around them. But it’s a large space and may take a bit. Do you want me to get this one out first?”
“No, leave him there for now. We’ll have the Doctor take a look at him first. But go ahead and check out the rest of the crawl space.” directed Lacourbe.
“Right.” replied the officer and he disappeared from view again.
“Well that’s three. Only Forty one left to find.” Lacourbe said sardonically to no one in particular.

The four helicopter pilots had already built their own small fire on the left of the line of choppers and where standing around it. To Tom’s question they pointed to the nearest chopper, and looking towards it he could see Annika sitting inside, thru the open doorway. Walking over to it, he peered in and saw Annika sitting sideways, slumped in her seat. Her hands were still cuffed behind her. She seemed lost in her own thoughts and was staring out over the darkened sea.
“Can you at least take the cuffs off her?” Tom asked Officer Riviera.
“No.” Officer Riviera replied. “But they will once they have taken off.”
“Annika, I have your bag here.” Tom said as he laid it on the seat beside her. But Annika acted like he hadn’t heard him and continued staring out over the water.
Tom checked to see how far away Riviera was, and then leaned towards Annika and whispered “We will look for your friend as soon as we can slip away from the cops.”
“No, don’t bother…” Annika said in a soft voice. “….I think he is dead now. I think they are all dead.” But she didn’t look at Tom and just stared out the window.
“Yes…” Tom said evenly. “To be honest that is possible. But it is also possible they were taken prisoner or are hiding out on the island somewhere. We just won’t know until we searched every bit of it.”
Annika finally turned to face Tom, and her expression was strange. Abruptly she said “They are still out there you know.”
“Who is, Annika?” Tom asked, taken aback.
“I don’t know…” Annika replied, trailing off. And then she turned her head away again and returned to staring out over the water. “But at least we will be together again.” She then said wistfully.
“Who will be together again, Annika?” Tom asked softly, hiding his rising involuntary anxiety. But she would not say any more.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm

Chapter 13 – A Swim in the Dark

Tom sighed, gave a nod to Riviera and began walking down to the dock. Looking out over the water he saw it was getting dark fast, though some stray high clouds still reflected the reddish glow of the sun now just below the horizon. Walking out to the end of the dock, he peered at the mostly submerged boat, about 100 yards away and settled on its side. When he had first seen the boat from the helicopter hours ago, it had been in full sunlight, and the idea of swimming out to it might be grim, but not frightening. But in the deepening gloom it became more foreboding. He now wished he could have kept his mouth shut and waited for the boat from Bug Island. But his pride would not let him give up now to the scorn of Captain Lacourbe and the other officers. He would have to just focus on one task at a time and try to block out any rising anxiety.

Stripping down quickly to his undershorts, Tom stored away his boots and clothes in his knapsack. He took up the flashlight wrapped in plastic and tape and tested it once more. He hoped it would last long enough to search the interior of the boat. Sitting down on the edge of the dock, he lowered himself into the cool water. It was cold enough to give him an initial shock, so he began swimming immediately. Not being in any real shape, and carrying the flashlight slowed him down but at least he felt warmer now that he was exerting himself.

At last an outstretched arm struck the boats hull and he began working his way around in the water to the pilothouse. As he went he saw damage in spots, gouges and scrapes like at the compound, but for the life of him could not imagine what had done it. Reaching the pilothouse he saw no way in above water except through smashed windows. Diving down, he quickly found the doorway just below the surface and going in, surfaced inside the pilothouse. He found himself in a three foot high space, with only an empty life vest and small debris floating on the water. Above him, were two long smashed windows and between them a small red metal box marked ‘Flare’. It was nearly dark inside, so turning on the flashlight he dropped below the surface to search the area. The weak light only penetrated a few feet underwater, and it took three dives to check all the space in the room and between the captain’s chairs and ship’s controls. He found more wreckage, but no bodies.

A little relieved, Tom swam out of the pilothouse and then climbed up out of the water onto the upturned side of the boat. It looked like 3-4 feet of the boat protruded above the waterline, more than enough to contain an air pocket. On his hands and knees he slowly made his way along the boat, stopping every few feet to tap and pound the hull and then listen for a response. Not a sound was to be heard except the slaps of the small swell running against the boat. Wet and dripping in his undershorts Tom began to grow chill, exposed to the light sea breeze. Coming to the end of the boat he looked up towards the beach. It was now almost dark but he could still just make out Riviera pacing back and forth on the dock. Beyond on the beach were the three parked choppers, seen mostly as black silhouettes, and further to the right, the pilots still standing around their small flickering fire. At either end of the beach a security officer sentry walked back and forth, having moved much closer to the compound as darkness fell. A little further on was the compound itself, the view mostly blocked by the shadows of buildings and heaps of wreckage, but he could see a bit of the bonfire in the space between two buildings and shapes moving about. At a great distance above the island he saw blinking lights, probably the chopper that had been out searching for survivors.

Already tired and cold, he had now come to the difficult part, which was diving into the lower compartments of the ship, which were now underwater. What worried him most was getting disorientated inside the dark boat, since he had been unable to find a rope to use as a guide back out. He could not hold his breath long and was also afraid that water would work thru his crude plastic wrapping and the flashlight would stop working. Lastly he dreaded what he might find inside in the darkness and his overactive imagination started to create unnerving images. He started to shiver and knowing it would feel warmer in the water decided to at least give it a try and go in a little further with each dive.

Tom turned around and started crawling back towards the pilothouse when he heard a loud splash away to his left. New unseen terrors flooded his mind and he thought ‘Well that’s just great. Now I am afraid to even swim back’. But then he remembered the boat from Bug Island was due soon, and he decided, cold or not, he would just sit out here and wait till it picked him. Then came another louder splash, much closer and behind him towards the beach. He looked back and could just make out a shape like a large tail breaking water. The tail was large and rose many feet in the air. It must be a large shark or small whale Tom thought nervously. But rather then dropping back down again like it should it just hung there at an angle. A second tail splashed out of the water about 20 feet to the right of the first and then both began to move together towards the beach. His mind unable to make sense of what he was seeing, and he was further confounded to now see a rounded shape rising between them. “What the hell!” he whispered to himself. As he watched it intently, moving towards the beach, it became more defined, silhouetted against the faint light coming from the shore. Other shapes now appeared to either side of the rounded center, and one of the things that he had mistaken for a tail opened and shut like a toothed claw. “Dear God!” Tom gasped, finally realizing what it was. In defiance of nature and all logic, it was a monstrous crab the size of a truck. And it was not alone, for there were other splashes and other of these creatures rising out of the ocean. There were dozens at least, and all of them marching towards shore.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 9:02 pm

Chapter 14 – Night on Crab Island (Part 1)

Tom crawled back along the slippery hull towards the pilothouse. He couldn’t bring himself shout a warning to those on shore. He was too afraid it would draw the attention of the giant crabs and he’d be torn to pieces. Although the pilothouse had not saved the original crew it was the only choice. He heard the creatures still rising from the water, but too terrified to look, grimly focused on his hands moving forward, one after another, willing himself on. Coming up to the pilothouse, he slipped into the water and dived down thru the submerged doorway back into the pilothouse. Surfacing inside, he slunk into the darkest corner and felt for hand or foot holds.

In the Lab, Lacourbe worked by flashlight in his temporary command post. He had been busy. As night approached he called off the air search and directed the chopper to return to the compound. Contacting the approaching boat from Bug Island, he found they were only about 15 minutes away. He had pulled the security guards in closer, to the compound perimeter and beach. This contracting would free up some extra bodies to help haul the computers and files down to the choppers. He was annoyed the contractor hadn’t returned yet from his useless search in the dark. Contractors in general were trouble, but something about this one had made him suspicious. Mr. Kelly didn’t know it yet, but he was also going to be on a chopper returning to Krati tonight, and Lyons would answer for breaking security protocol. He called in the Sergeant from Bug Island, and sent him down to get the contractor. Now.

Riviera paced back and forth on the dock for warmth, his rifle cradled in his arms. After sweating earlier in all this riot gear, the sea breeze had chilled him. He’d lost sight of the contractor in the blackness and could now only see the boat itself with difficulty. The man must be a fool to go out in the darkness, Riviera thought. He must be even more foolish if he thought Riviera would rescue him if he got into trouble out there. Looking back towards the compound he saw a straggling line of bobbing lights and people coming down towards the helicopter pilots around the fire on the beach. Riviera wished the dam contractor would come in already. Turning back towards the boat he was about to call out to him, but hearing some splashing thought in relief the contractor must be swimming back in. A light suddenly flashed out at the boat and he heard a loud ‘Crack’ like a gunshot. A fiery red trail arched upwards into the sky, and with a ‘Pop’ blossomed into a slowly sinking flare. “What the hell!” he said aloud. He suddenly heard the splashing noise again, but louder and very near. He tried to see what the noise was coming from, but staring at the flare caused bright splotches of red light to dance in front of his eyes. Trying to blink it away, he could swear he saw weird shapes moving around him.

The first guards from the lab had arrived by the pilots standing around the fire.
“Where do you want this stuff, dude?” said one of the guards nodding to the computer he was carrying .
“Load the first chopper.” said one of the pilots. Then turning to the other pilots he said “Well, see ya back at Krati. Last one back buys a round.” Smiling he started walking towards his bird.
“Dumb Ass!” one of the other pilots said chuckling under his breath. “He’s gonna have all the weight in his bird!” and the other pilots laughed.
The pilot led the guards over to his bird and told them to stow everything on the floor from front to back. A guard man stepped up into the chopper and pulled up, surprised to see Annika, cuffed, staring out over the dark ocean. “Whoa!” he exclaimed.

The first flare went off then, and all stopped what they were doing. The security man put the computer on floor and hopped out to join the others now gathered in front of the chopper. Annika saw the flare go up and slowly drift down. “Our turn now.” she said out loud to no one and closed her eyes.
“What the f**k is that about now?” said one of the guards in front of the chopper.
“It came from the boat.” said the pilot.
“Looks like rescue boy needs rescue.” another guard said sarcastically.
“There’s someone out there?” asked the only female guard in the group, incredulously. Then came a second flash on the boat followed a fraction of a second later by a loud ‘Pop’ and a flare shot out almost horizontally and arcing to the left, in front of the group. A few seconds later it fell into the ocean several hundred yards to the left.
“What the hell are those?!” said the pilot uneasily and pointing at the ocean.
“What are what?!” asked one of the guards.
“Holy s**t!” exclaimed another guard, dropping the stack of files he carried, and hastily unslinging the weapon from his back.
Then the group heard a gut wrenching scream, down by the dock away to the right followed a few seconds later by gunfire. It sounded like a P15 firing bursts.
“Jesus Christ! What are those things?!” one of the guards said.
“I don’t know, but I ain’t staying to find out!” the pilot said loudly, and ran towards his cockpit.
First one, then the other guards got their weapons into action. They were firing at the closest shapes coming onto to the beach in the lurid red light of the flare.

When the first flare went up, the Sergeant that had been sent down for Kelly had almost reached the dock. He stopped and was looking around, trying to see what was going on when a scream came from out on the dock. He saw someone and something else, something big, on the dock. They seemed to be struggling. Then the person was lifted up and slid down with the shape into the water. “Riviera!” he screamed, as someone started firing on the right. The Sergeant saw it was the sentry firing into the sea, where other shapes were emerging out of the water. Still not comprehending what they were, he unslung his weapon and tried to load it. His hands were shaking so badly he dropped the ammo magazine. S**t, s**t, s**t, he said dropping to his knees. He found the magazine on the sand and managed to get it seated in the gun. But when he tried to charge the rifle it jammed. He tried to clear the jam, and removed the magazine, but nothing worked. Firing now erupted on the left, and looking up he finally saw what they were shooting at. Creatures, like giant crabs were coming out of the water all along the beach. The closest, directly in front of him was less than 100 feet away. “Get back!” he screamed to the sentry, and turning around ran back towards the compound.

The pilot by the first chopper jumped into the cockpit, turned on the lights and started the startup sequence. He leaned out the door and screamed to the guards firing in front of the chopper. “Get in or get back! I’m taking off now!” Dropping back into his seat he closed the cockpit door and hit the starter.
The guards stopping firing and then were engulfed in a storm of sand as the chopper blades roared into life. Half-blinded and deafened, first one and two more stumbled towards open side door of the chopper. The last, the female guard yelled “Hey where are you going?! But the others piled into the chopper, unhearing or unheeding. She followed to the open door and shouted, “What about the others?”
“Get on the other choppers! Close that door!” the pilot yelled and a guard leaned over and grabbed the female guards arm. But the female guard broke free and backed away from the door. A few seconds later the door slid shut.
The female guard turned and made for the fire, painfully blinking with sand in her eyes. ‘This is becoming a bloody fiasco’ she thought to herself bitterly.

After the flares had gone up, the other two pilots whose choppers were parked on the beach ran towards their birds. Their only concern at the moment was to get their birds up and then they would try to pick up the rest. There was one pilot left by the fire, whose bird was parked up on the pad besides the compound. The sentry on the left had run in, and was nearby firing down on one knee. The pilot by the fire, seeing the creatures now advancing up the beach towards them, shouted at the guards with cupped hands, “Come on! We gotta go back to the compound now!”

But once the crabs reached the firm sand, they swiveled and rushed up the beach sideways with unexpected speed and were in and among the choppers in seconds. The pilot trying to reach the farthest chopper never made it. A pilot made it to the middle chopper and got it started but a crab with upraised arms walked into the whirling blades and both blades and claws disintegrated.

The first chopper finally got off the ground and started lifting up. A crab however came up and grabbed one of its landing skids with a claw. The chopper tilted sideways and hung hovering there precariously. The pilot strained to keep it level and gave full power to break free. Another crab raced towards the people by the fire. Distracted by what was occurring with the choppers, those by the fire did not see the crab until it was right onto of them. It crashed mindlessly thru the fire and grabbed the terror stricken and screaming pilot in one claw. The kneeling sentry fell back on his back and emptied his clip in panic at the monster looming above him. A few rounds stuck home but most missed or ricocheted off the hard carapace. Some of the bullets hit the chopper hovering in the air behind the crab, shattering glass and punching thru the thin metal skin. One struck Annika who was killed instantly, and another went thru the pilots window and lodged in his neck. As the pilot reeled from the impact he jerked the stick involuntarily and put the chopper down hard on its right side. The rotors hit the sand first, disintegrating followed by the chopper slamming the ground. There was a flash inside the chopper and then it exploded into a fireball. The crab holding the landing skid was engulfed, and incinerated crumpled to the ground.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm

Chapter 14 – Night on Crab Island (Part 2)

The blast from the chopper explosion knocked the female guard flat on her face. The crab holding the lifeless body of the pilot also was staggered and then retreated rapidly with his prey back down to the beach to the water. More crabs had emerged from the water however and were advancing up the beach. But they swerved towards the center chopper and attacked the injured crab, which was quickly killed and cut to pieces. Given an unexpected respite, the female guard and sentry retreated back towards the compound

Blackthorne, Katy and Richard had been about half-way to the choppers when the first flare went up. After the first gunfire was heard, a nearby guard had shouted at them to get on the ground.
“Holy Crap!” Richard exclaimed as he hit the ground.
“What’s going on?” Katy shouted, holding her hands over her ears.
“I don’t know.” Blackthorne responded loudly, looking around at the scene. The two security men closest to them had gone down to one knee and were pointing their guns towards the beach. The flare bathed the shore in a eerie red light. He saw people moving and running among the choppers along the beach. Other shapes large but indistinct seemed to be coming out of the water.
Someone was running towards them up from the beach on the left. As he got closer he started shouting “Get back! Get back to the compound!”
“Who’s that!” shouted one of the kneeling guards.
But the running man just kept shouting “Get back!” and ran right thru the group and up on the path to the compound.
“That looked liked the Sergeant that came with us. What’s going on?” said Katy, who was finding it difficult to look for herself.
“Yes, I think your right.” replied Blackthorne turning to watch the man running back to the compound. “And I think we had better take his advice and leave this to the professionals here.” nodding towards the two guards nearby.
The first chopper blew up sending a huge fireball high into the sky.
“Jesus Christ!” one of the guards said in awe.
“I think that’s a good idea professor.” Richard said getting up to a crouch.
“We’re heading back to the compound!” Blackthorne shouted over to the two guards.
“Alright, we will cover you.” A guard answered. “But make it quick!”
“Come on Katy” Blackthorne said standing. Katy was curled up on the ground still holding her hands to her ears. With Richard’s help he got her to her feet.
“Annika!” Katy suddenly remembered, shouting and breaking free of their grip started running down to the beach.
“No Katy! Come back!” shouted Richard, and he and Blackthorne took off after her.
But she had to pass close by the guards, and one of them dove for her feet and shoe stringed her. She hit the sand hard and momentarily had the breath knocked out of her. She gasped trying to breathe and let out a low anguished moan. Richard and Blackthorne reached her side and each taking one of her arms, lifted her to her feet, still wheezing.
“We gotta go back Katy!” Richard pleaded with her. “There’s nothing we can do now!”
Katy couldn’t get enough air to speak and just shook her head violently, mouthing the word ‘No!’
“We have no choice Katy.” said Blackthorne. “I’m sorry but we have to let the guards take care of this. We would only be in the way.” But Katy still shook her head and tried to break free from them again. “Come on Richard, let’s get her back.” said Blackthorne and they began walking, have dragging the struggling young woman, back towards the compound.
Katy finally caught her breath and let out a loud piercing cry, like a wounded animal. She made one final attempt to get loose, but realizing she was unable to break free from her two stronger friends suddenly gave up and when limp, and began sobbing for Annika.
“What do we do?!” said one of the guards left behind to the other. The flare had dropped into the ocean, and the firing had died down to just a few shots. In the light of the burning chopper however they could make out the shadows of a few people running towards them. They could now also clearly see the crabs by the.
“Uhh…OK, this is now officially f**ked up!” said one.
“Yeah…I missed this part of the training” the other guard said in a quavering voice. “But OK, We wait for those guys to reach us and then we get the F*** back.”
“Shouldn’t we start firing?” said the other guard .
“Uh, yeah… that would be nice” the other said cracking a weak grin. And both started firing bursts towards the crabs they could see clearly in the light.

Blackthorne and Richard with Katy between them came up to the broken down security gate. Lacourbe, a pistol in hand was there with the guard radioman. The Sergeant was there too and excitedly talking to Lacourbe.
“Sergeant, please compose yourself and tell me what’s happening down there!” said Lacourbe sternly.
“I’ve been trying to tell you!” the sergeant said frustrated, “There are giant grabs down there!” pointing down to the beach. “They destroyed the choppers and they are coming this way.”
“You’re not making sense Sergeant.” Lacourbe said, his voice rising. “But where is your rifle? Where is the contractor and the other guard?”
“Screw the dam rifle, it jammed!” the sergeant said. “And the crabs got Riviera and probably the contractor too.”
Blackthorne and the others had stopped and overheard the last part of the conversation.
“Crabs!?” Katy said in a incredulous voice.
“Yes Crabs!” said the sergeant to Katy. “And big as houses. But if you don’t believe me just go down there and look for yourself!”
Lacourbe did not reply but pushed past the sergeant to walk a few feet towards the beach and stop. Blackthorne and Richard went to joined him, but Katy wriggling out of their grasp remained by the sergeant.
Lacourbe and the others studied the scene a few moments in silence. Finally Lacourbe, with surprising calmness said, “Well then, there is the answer to our mystery. There are our pirates.”
Richard and Blackthorne were stunned and just exchanged a glance.
“Come along quickly gentlemen.” said Lacourbe. “I have already planned our withdrawal.” And he headed back to the gate area.
“Patel come with me.” Lacourbe said to the radioman. “But give your rifle to the sergeant.”
“Our weapons are useless against those things.” protested the sergeant, but he took the rifle.
“I doubt that sergeant.” said Lacourbe dismissively. “They are just large stupid crabs after all and will bleed just as well as you or me. I want you to stay here and gather the others coming in.”
“Where are you going?” the sergeant demanded.
“The search chopper will be landing soon behind the compound. I will take command of the situation from the air and bring these people off with me.” said Lacourbe pointing to Blackthorne’s group.
Heavy gunfire and shouts suddenly erupted down the trail, drawing their attention momentarily.
“What about us?” demanded the sergeant.
“You can take the chopper on the pad...” Lacourbe began, “…if you still have a pilot. Otherwise retreat to the opposite side of the island” pointing past the compound. “It’s less than half a mile and I will have the boat from Bug Island pick you up there” Looking up he saw the rescue chopper getting close. He turned to the radioman and said “Get these people…” pointing to Blackthorne and the others. “…to the emergency landing zone behind the compound. Also gather in the sentries on that side.”
The radioman nodded and then herded Blackthorne and Richard, still supporting Katy between them into the compound.
“Try to hold them here for a while if you can sergeant. Once we have lifted off, then retreat with all speed to the other side of the island.” said Lacourbe.
“ OK.” The sergeant responded, still somewhat in shock. And Lacourbe then strode off to catch up with the others.