Is the other woman a threat?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 5:04 am

Boo, I'm just thinking from a practical angle, but if someone is serious about waiting till marriage it seems counter productive to engage in foreplay stuff. It's like going down a road even though you said you didn't want to go to the destination at the end of the road. Isn't it hard to stop once you start. Hypothetically it seems to me like the logical answer would be no foreplay if you're actually wanting to stick with the no sex thing.

This may be difficult to discuss without the thread getting moved to the adult section... :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 8:48 am

hurtloam wrote:
Boo, I'm just thinking from a practical angle, but if someone is serious about waiting till marriage it seems counter productive to engage in foreplay stuff. It's like going down a road even though you said you didn't want to go to the destination at the end of the road. Isn't it hard to stop once you start. Hypothetically it seems to me like the logical answer would be no foreplay if you're actually wanting to stick with the no sex thing.

This may be difficult to discuss without the thread getting moved to the adult section... :lol:

Send me a pm with the details and photographic demonstration.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 9:00 am

:lol: Sitting on the sofa having fun, no foreplay looks like this:

Not this

But what the hell do I know. I'd need a dude first before I could experiment, but I figure that this is how celibate religious people manage to not compromise. I figure the first couple are not alone in the house.

The search term I used was "sofa cuddles" :D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

^
You can put an ad "Seeking for a sofa cuddles partner".

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

Funny story: last night, he sent me to an exclusive club to ask about his Super Bowl pools.

When I walked in, one lady asked me "are you the wife of one of the guys?"

Hahahahahaha! I was flattered.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
So, I have a major crush on this guy. We've been good friends for quite a while, he admits he likes me, we both say "I love you" to each other, we kiss on the cheek, and meet up with each other every week, on average. I'm in my late 20s, never had a boyfriend, and will only date a guy I find as marriage material. I want to commit to him because he's done so much for me, made me feel included in his main circle of friends, and I've never been closer to anyone else who wasn't blood-related.

The problem is, he's been "seeing" this other woman since a year and a half before I first met him. (I didn't fall for him until I knew him for a year. I fell for him because he fell for me.) He's never called her his "girlfriend," he's said "mistress" once, but I also heard him call her his "lover" once. (And to me, "lover" is a gender-neutral, legal bond-neutral term for "spouse.")

The first time I met her, she rubbed me the wrong way. Her voice bothers me, and I've rarely seen her. I automatically assume that anyone romantically involved at any level will get married. Dating is just the first step in the marriage process. I can't picture them as bride and groom without cringing or wanting to dry heave. Just last night, my crush posted a pic on social media of him and a bunch of other people... and the only woman in that pic was probably her. (It might have been at the restaurant where she works, it was the same time and day of the week as the last time I saw her, which was when she was going off shift.) From what I know about them, they used to work in the same store together, and talk on-and-off. He's said they've had some strained relations sometimes. I consider her my enemy because of the lifetime commitment at stake.

Although, the last time I saw her, she introduced him to another friend of hers as a "friend." She doesn't seem committed. So much for "being true to him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, and promising to love and honor him all the days of her life." (I remember being at a party with him where the only people my crush invited were me and her. Guess who showed up and guess who didn't! :D ) A counselor I used to see said maybe she's a friend with benefits, but I don't get the concept of casual sex. Everyone else I've talked to about them don't think they'll marry, and one said they seem "flaky." I've partied with him plenty of times for big occasions, such as his birthday and New Year's, where she never showed. But what if he does pop the question? (He's been engaged to someone else at least once before, but was dumped.)

He says "she's good in bed," but is being good in bed the grounds for a marriage? Is she a true threat to my dream future, or just a FWB who will eventually move on to someone else?

Okay is this the married guy? Because it sounds like you're player.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 5:05 pm

Do not waste your energy by investing it in this guy.

Look-- I share your views on dating, sex before marriage, and a handful of other things. On this subject, anyway, think of me as your older, wiser relative.

I'm not making a value judgment for or against the guy as a human being. Really.

But-- you know what you said about breaking up being what happens when one or the other party realizes that marriage isn't going to be a desirable circumstance??

Well, a marriage between you and this guy isn't going to be a desirable circumstance. You can LOVE someone's company and still be fundamentally different enough that the summation of your marriage will be, "I love you, but it seems that, in order for one of us to be happy, the other one has to be miserable."

I tried to tell my husband this when we were young and contemplating marriage. To this day, he says I was threatening him, demanding "My way or the highway." No-- I did not want him to change anything. I saw irreconcilable differences and attempted, multiple times, to end the relationship while our investment was minimal. Unfortunately for us, both of us were young and lonely and wanted to believe that we could work it out.

So I believed him when he said he was happy, believed him when he said we could work it out, believed that we'd grow together. And now, sixteen years and four kids later, we have a marriage between two people who love each other very much...

...and have mutually exclusive dreams, mutually incompatible communication styles, insecurities and pathologies that do nothing but feed those of the other person, et cetera ad nauseam. I want him to be happy. He wants me to be happy. The problem is that what makes one of us happy makes the other one miserable, and the best way for us to communicate is called "very politely, and as little as possible."

We don't have a marriage. We have a functioning shell (with obligatory at-least-twice-a-week-unless-I'm-menstruating-and-act-like-I'm-wildly-aroused sex). If you looked up "staying together for the kids' sake" in an encyclopedia, we'd be looking back at you.

That's where you're headed with this guy-- if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you're going to the Land of the Hideous Divorce. Cut your mutual losses and keep looking.

In other thoughts, consider this thread an answer to your other question about whether it's a good idea for you, as a female, to be strictly platonic friends with a married guy. NO, IT ISN'T.

Marriage is a proprietary relationship, whereby each party becomes the exclusive property of the other party, in effect agreeing to make the spouse their world entire. "Forsaking all others" doesn't mean "And I won't shop around." It REALLY, TRULY, LITERALLY MEANS FORSAKING ALL OTHERS. It's bad enough to infringe upon the "spousal property rights" in order to be friends with a member of the same sex. I can't tell you how many fights have broken out because my husband found out that I discussed my feelings with an aunt, cousin, or female friend before I talked to him, in greater detail than I did with him, or for a greater length of time than I did with him.

Honestly, FRIENDSHIP, period, after marriage is a bad idea. To be truly faithful, one must confine oneself to shallow and passing acquaintanceships of little substance and no meaning. The female party, at least in a nominally patrilineal culture, should also expect to give up membership in her natal family. For example, it is understood that I do not have, and will not honor, any farther "obligation" or "duty" to my natal family. My FATHER was regarded as intruding and threatening our marriage because he asked for a few weeks of my time after my stepmom had a massive stroke. I do not "decide to visit my grandmother." My husband "allows me to do so" (and is considered extremely magnanimous because he tolerates it about one Saturday every other month).

You have some very idealistic notions about love and marriage. I did once too. For your own protection, I recommend that you don't even consider commitment until you've dated about 10 people (and made it north of 25).

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2015, 9:47 pm

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:

He's not legally married yet, I just want to prevent him from marrying this one particular woman. I don't understand casual sex, and assume any romantic union of any kind is the first step toward a lifetime of holy matrimony.

I usually refer to her by her married name in my head as disaster prep, but split thinking about his family as both my dream in-laws and her in-laws. SHE needs to be sent to the Land of the Hideous Divorce from him before he can even pop the question to her!

And BuyerBeware, I don't think I'll ever date 10 guys. I want to only date a guy I can see myself marrying because that reduces the chance of a breakup and I can pour all my romantic energy into my real husband for the rest of our lives together. I want to forsake all others and live up to my marriage vows on our first date.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:43 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Marriage is a proprietary relationship, whereby each party becomes the exclusive property of the other party, in effect agreeing to make the spouse their world entire. "Forsaking all others" doesn't mean "And I won't shop around." It REALLY, TRULY, LITERALLY MEANS FORSAKING ALL OTHERS. It's bad enough to infringe upon the "spousal property rights" in order to be friends with a member of the same sex. I can't tell you how many fights have broken out because my husband found out that I discussed my feelings with an aunt, cousin, or female friend before I talked to him, in greater detail than I did with him, or for a greater length of time than I did with him.

Honestly, FRIENDSHIP, period, after marriage is a bad idea. To be truly faithful, one must confine oneself to shallow and passing acquaintanceships of little substance and no meaning. The female party, at least in a nominally patrilineal culture, should also expect to give up membership in her natal family. For example, it is understood that I do not have, and will not honor, any farther "obligation" or "duty" to my natal family. My FATHER was regarded as intruding and threatening our marriage because he asked for a few weeks of my time after my stepmom had a massive stroke. I do not "decide to visit my grandmother." My husband "allows me to do so" (and is considered extremely magnanimous because he tolerates it about one Saturday every other month).

I don't think that all married people would agree with that at all. Ok, I believe you when you tell us that this is how your life has turned out and I think that the unmarried should listen to older folks with tales such as these and be cautious before tying the knot, but I really disagree that marriage means forsaking all friendships and family. I have married friends who are happily married and haven't taken such a drastic view of things or cut ties with all other people.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
I don't understand casual sex, and assume any romantic union of any kind is the first step toward a lifetime of holy matrimony.

It doesn't matter whether you don't understand casual sex, he does and that is how he lives his life. Why can't you understand that his having sex with this woman doesn't mean that he wants to marry her. It's just a bit of fun for them. It may end and he may go on and have fun with someone else for a while, then that will end and he'll go and have fun with another woman. For a real life example see George Clooney. Eventually he met someone he wanted to marry, but he was quite content to have fun for years and years. You may have your heart set on a man who doesn't want to settle down any time soon.

Quote:
And BuyerBeware, I don't think I'll ever date 10 guys. I want to only date a guy I can see myself marrying because that reduces the chance of a breakup and I can pour all my romantic energy into my real husband for the rest of our lives together. I want to forsake all others and live up to my marriage vows on our first date.

Why are you so scared of breakups? They are not neccesarily a bad thing. Ok it hurts when you break up with someone, but on the other hand you have learned more about yourself and what you are looking for in a partner. Sometimes the good loves don't last.

You can adore someone only to find that you can't actually deal with each other in the practical things everyday, maybe you love the same music, but on the other hand you can't agree on how much money to spend on a car or how much to spend on a new tv. You want a second hand one, he wants the latest technology and it leads to arguments. He's still got that amazing sense of humour you love, but everyday life becomes a drag because you're always arguing over the budget.

Sometimes it takes time to realised that you are not actually compatible. As buyerbeware said, don't try and wish those problems away, they don't go away. Don't get married to the wrong person. Sometimes the brave and right thing to do is to walk away rather than marry the wrong man.

GamerPrincess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2015, 6:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
You can adore someone only to find that you can't actually deal with each other in the practical things everyday, maybe you love the same music, but on the other hand you can't agree on how much money to spend on a car or how much to spend on a new tv. You want a second hand one, he wants the latest technology and it leads to arguments. He's still got that amazing sense of humour you love, but everyday life becomes a drag because you're always arguing over the budget.

Sometimes it takes time to realised that you are not actually compatible. As buyerbeware said, don't try and wish those problems away, they don't go away. Don't get married to the wrong person. Sometimes the brave and right thing to do is to walk away rather than marry the wrong man.

I second this.

I first want to say, I don't quite understand the need or even the concept of getting married. I mean I get the commitment part and I think it's vital to any relationship, but the terms of commitment should be discussed by each person in the relationship. I also see the appeal of the ceremony, its symbolism and importance.
But in the end, it's just a legal arrangement, what does this have to do with love or commitment ? Do you need to bring the law to make sure you/your spouse stay committed ? (Those are genuine questions I've been wondering for a while.)

Have you discussed your views with him ? Have you asked him what HE feels about this woman ? About you ? About getting married ?

The way you talk about this other woman... is really weird. You say you don't think they would make a great couple. How do you even know ? You fail to see things from HIS perspective, and it's his perspective only (and hers) that should matter if he's going to get married with her. Maybe he thinks she would make a good wife, maybe not. Maybe he's not irritated by her voice.

Also a friend with benefit relationship is quite easy to understand. They see each other as friend, are not romantically attracted but still enjoy physical contact.
Romance =/= sex.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:

He's not legally married yet, I just want to prevent him from marrying this one particular woman. I don't understand casual sex, and assume any romantic union of any kind is the first step toward a lifetime of holy matrimony.

I usually refer to her by her married name in my head as disaster prep, but split thinking about his family as both my dream in-laws and her in-laws. SHE needs to be sent to the Land of the Hideous Divorce from him before he can even pop the question to her!

Classy! No offense but trying to come between a man and his wife-to-be really makes you a tramp. I suggest you back the hell away from this right now. If he dumps her for you, think about what that says about him. Because a person who does this once will do it again. And you'll be the scorned ex-fiance/wifey someday.

GamerPrincess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2015, 6:28 pm

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:

Classy! No offense but trying to come between a man and his wife-to-be really makes you a tramp. I suggest you back the hell away from this right now. If he dumps her for you, think about what that says about him. Because a person who does this once will do it again. And you'll be the scorned ex-fiance/wifey someday.

Wow I really really don't agree with the first part! It sure is a mistake on many many levels but in no way it tells anything about anyone's worth.
But the second part is really true. It's a lose-lose situation. Either he stays with this woman, or he goes with you and you'll never be able to trust him EVER because you know how he would react in this situation.

[Also I did not understand that this girl was his girlfriend ? I thought she was a friend with benefit, I'm lost.]

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2015, 2:21 am

GamerPrincess wrote:

[Also I did not understand that this girl was his girlfriend ? I thought she was a friend with benefit, I'm lost.]

I've never heard him call her his "girlfriend" and never heard her call him her "boyfriend." In fact, the last time I saw her (which was over a year ago), she introduced him to another friend of hers as a "friend."

This thread almost confirms that counselor's guess that she's a "friend with benefits," but I never gave the concept of that much thought until recently. I'm learning from this thread, it's just tough for me to wrap my head around it.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2015, 12:43 am

GamerPrincess wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:

Wow I really really don't agree with the first part! It sure is a mistake on many many levels but in no way it tells anything about anyone's worth.
But the second part is really true. It's a lose-lose situation. Either he stays with this woman, or he goes with you and you'll never be able to trust him EVER because you know how he would react in this situation.

Trying to come between a married person and their spouse and encouraging the married person to commit adultery by initiating an affair is completely selfish, self-indulgent and unethical.

We are what we choose to do. If someone decides to behave that way then it really does lower their worth. It's called personal responsibility.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 2:06 am

Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
GamerPrincess wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
Lazar_Kaganovich wrote:

Trying to come between a married person and their spouse and encouraging the married person to commit adultery by initiating an affair is completely selfish, self-indulgent and unethical.

We are what we choose to do. If someone decides to behave that way then it really does lower their worth. It's called personal responsibility.

But they are not married, right? He calls her "just a friend", that doesn't really imply any romantic relationship.