Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Mar 2010, 6:26 pm

How much communication with your significant other (that you DO NOT live with) do you expect to have daily/weekly? I feel like I have a weekend boyfriend, but during the week, we don't even talk on the phone. Just text maybe a few times a week. Is that normal or should there be more communication?

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2010, 6:39 pm

How long have you been dating? I would expect some kind of communication most days, unless the relationship is new. If I missed a day or 2, it probably wouldn't bother me. Not talking all week would bother me. Is there a reason-- like different shifts at work?

Michelle

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Mar 2010, 6:42 pm

VERY new relationship. When he DOES text me, he says how much he misses me. We have Facebook, but when he gets home from work he updates his status like, "animating"...he does that for fun. And random other things. But never really waits for me to go on so we can talk..... We have so much fun when we're together, really nice times, but then after Sunday, it's like .....barely any communication.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 5:50 am

Penandinkmarie wrote:
VERY new relationship. When he DOES text me, he says how much he misses me. We have Facebook, but when he gets home from work he updates his status like, "animating"...he does that for fun. And random other things. But never really waits for me to go on so we can talk..... We have so much fun when we're together, really nice times, but then after Sunday, it's like .....barely any communication.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Have you tried mail or PM? It let's you respond whenever you have time, making the conversation very flexible time-wise. The downside being that the replies aren't immediate.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Side_Kick
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2010, 7:58 pm

I wouldn't be inclined to suggest that any specific amount of interaction/communication on a weekly basis could be classified as "normal."

Many people rush into things in the newer stage of a relationship, and want to spend nearly all of their time with the other person (i.e.-honeymoon phase). But I have also found that some others like to keep things a bit slower paced in the beginning, which could be wise. It would depend on the motivation behind it, I suppose.

In my opinion though, if he texts you to say how much he misses you in between the days you are together, that sounds optimistic.

I am currently in a fairly similar situation myself... Although in this instance, I know that the reason we don't communicate much between visits is because the guy I am involved with really needs time to himself, and I want him to have that space. There was a time where I was a bit concerned, thinking he might have lost interest in me... But I was comfortable enough to ask him what was ideal to him, in terms of how often we got together/chatted/etc, so now I don't stress about it. (Of course I would enjoy being able to see him more often than I do, but I'm just happy to spend whatever time I can with him :))

I'd suggest to see how things go, and if you find yourself wanting to spend more time with him/keep in better touch, and you two have gotten close enough to discuss such things, bring it up then. Could be he just wants to take his time and not rush things.