hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 11:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
astaut wrote:
^This is just my opinion, but a dependent girl is with you because she needs to be and for her own benefit; an independent girl is with you because she actually wants to be and may care more for you.

That's making one mistaken assumption: that there's a woman out there that would actually want to be with me...

So unfortunately,it's down to finding a woman who is slightly clingy. Emphasis on the "slightly" though... I've met people (men and women) that will follow their partners around all the time and call or text them at all hours of the night, and all these other horror stories that have been discussed on this thread. But a woman who needed the relationship, but was comfortable enough to not need to be engrossed in it 24/7... that would be my ticket out of lonerville right there.

So you're content to be with someone who doesnt actually like you but because they can't find anyone better, and they HAVE to have a partner.

Thats really sad, and im not being sarcastic. No-one should settle for that... Are there any self esteem workshops in your area that might help?

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say; I probably didn't explain it rite. I'd be willing to give someone a chance because she mite could fall in love with me in time. I start to like most women who are nice to me after a while so it seems likely that someone would start liking me if she was willing to give me a chance. I do not see it as settling; I think of it as finding someone who could love me.

I don't know of any self-esteem workshops or any kind of support groups in my area

I was replying to Toad

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 May 2010, 11:54 pm

OH OK my bad.. I just skimmed true the quotes. Need to pay more attention. Sorry about that. Carry on :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 12:05 am

hale_bopp wrote:
So you're content to be with someone who doesnt actually like you but because they can't find anyone better, and they HAVE to have a partner.

Thats really sad, and im not being sarcastic. No-one should settle for that... Are there any self esteem workshops in your area that might help?

Well I mean if there was a woman out there that actually liked me, or at least had the capacity to, that would be the most fantastic thing ever. But there... isn't.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 12:17 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Well I mean if there was a woman out there that actually liked me, or at least had the capacity to, that would be the most fantastic thing ever. But there... isn't.

Its not that. Its your self esteem. Being self defeated is not attractive, you need to work on that before expecting to find anyone.

Didn't you say you've had one GF before? Some of the people here are older than you and had none.

NauticalCa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2010, 1:43 pm

Clingy is easily one of the more benign dysfunctional behaviours in a relationship, but it's certainly the most annoying.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:34 pm

nick007 wrote:
astaut wrote:
^This is just my opinion, but a dependent girl is with you because she needs to be and for her own benefit; an independent girl is with you because she actually wants to be and may care more for you.

That is a very good point but I also think it is possible that a dependent girl could start to like & generally care for the guy after a while if the guy could make her feel special & loved. Codependents sometimes have a history of being used/abused by their partners. It's a very viscous cycle so perhaps breaking from that cycle & being with someone who who helps em instead could be a major help.
I noticed that with my clingy friend. He has a history of going for women who are using/abusing him but a few years ago when he was with someone who really cared; he was a much better person & he was much less clingy/dependent

In my experience, the girls I've known just have very low self-esteem. They sometimes view themselves as being abused (they sometimes have been verbally), but it's usually just chronic low self-esteem. It seems as if they would enjoy caring for their partners as they never received adequate care (IMO) themselves, but ironically they are very, very (emphasis on the very, lol) selfish. Some of the hardest friends I've had to deal with. They do spend a lot of time with their boyfriends, but then turn around and tell me how they don't care about them, etc...how they do stuff to just keep him happy, keep him around. I'll never understand their relationships. This is only my experience though, not every girl who fits that codependent stereotype will be like that, of course. And I'm a little bit younger than you, you might have more experience in observing people :wink:

I should stop talking about my friend's relationships now, don't want to depress anyone, lol.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:40 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
astaut wrote:

That's making one mistaken assumption: that there's a woman out there that would actually want to be with me...

So unfortunately,it's down to finding a woman who is slightly clingy. Emphasis on the "slightly" though... I've met people (men and women) that will follow their partners around all the time and call or text them at all hours of the night, and all these other horror stories that have been discussed on this thread. But a woman who needed the relationship, but was comfortable enough to not need to be engrossed in it 24/7... that would be my ticket out of lonerville right there.

That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to say it :?

Toad...I don't know if this helps, but I felt this same way before my first relationship (I don't know if you've had a relationship or not). After that first relationship, I gained a lot of confidence and having a partner just wasn't a big deal anymore.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2010, 1:54 am

astaut wrote:
Toad...I don't know if this helps, but I felt this same way before my first relationship (I don't know if you've had a relationship or not). After that first relationship, I gained a lot of confidence and having a partner just wasn't a big deal anymore.
I had a whole lot more confidence while I was in the relationship, but afterwards, not as much. A little more than I had going in, perhaps, but mere scraps compared to what I felt during...

hale_bopp wrote:
Its not that. Its your self esteem. Being self defeated is not attractive, you need to work on that before expecting to find anyone.
It's kinda hard to not feel defeated when you can't even do anything right...

Quote:
Didn't you say you've had one GF before? Some of the people here are older than you and had none.
I did, but she decided that she didn't feel that way about me. Problem is that I still felt "that way" about her. I did my best (and am still doing my best) to not let that feeling get in the way now, but it's hard for me, knowing that there was a woman out there that actually saw something worthwhile in me, to give up hope in her, as giving up hope in the remote and practically non-existent possibility of getting back with my ex is giving up all hope in anything... She was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and i screwed it up. And you ask why I doubt myself...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 May 2010, 5:40 am

I think I know how you feel ToadOfSteel. There was only one person I ever felt understood & accepted me. That was like 7 years ago. I wish I could tell you things will get easier for & you will find someone but I won't because I've been looking for someone for 6 years now & I've had no luck except possibly bad. I'm not sure how old you are, how long ago that ended or anything but I still dwell on that stuff. That was the only time in my life I ever felt truly happy & functional. I've tried numerous searches for places where I could possibly find a woman who could relate to me but I've had no luck. The only positive thing I can think of to tell you rite now apart from the your not alone thing is that years ago before that whole thing began; I was extremely unhappy & angry & was not thinking bout relationship stuff. I was posting/complaining/ranting about stuff & she was the one person who I felt truly cared. I do NOT agree with the advice your getting here about needing self-esteem because I was an exception. Asking women out offline, trying dating sites ect have NOT worked for me. Part of the rezone I joined WP is because I'm hoping that a girl will relate to my post about stuff & take an interest in me.. That was the one thing that worked for me years ago when I was not even trying so maybe that approach will work again. I'm not sure what else to say rite now but if you or anyone else wants/needs to talk; feel free to message me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 2:29 am

I kind of understand, I guess. Maybe I'm not quite as wounded by feeling unloved and lonely, but I did fail to be a Gentleman. It didn't just end, which would be acceptable, I was also unable to prevent a bad ending. My younger self wasn't called "the Diplomat" for nothing, but evasion generally trumps diplomacy.
That I didn't find an opportunity to let it end on friendly terms is a defeat if I ever saw one. I lost more than I would have lost if I had gained more trust. Though I don't quite know how - maybe I could have been trusted more if I had second-guessed her generousities frequently.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2010, 2:36 am

From my experience, most people generally don't like it when people are clingy towards them. I have been clingy in the past, but I learn from my mistakes and also the fact that I myself wouldn't like somebody to be clingy with me. I need my space.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 4:22 am

This is a tough one to answer, because everyone has their own definition of clinginess.

I know that in a relationship, I crave affection and quality time with a mate, and don't have as much of a need for alone time as I used to (maybe 30-45 minutes a day).

Some people, however, prefer a lot of alone time, and don't want to deal with the emotional aspects of relationships, and consider any need of emotional support or encouragement to be clinginess (the "bad" kind).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!