How the heck is attractive defined?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NinjaHermit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2010, 4:09 am

I think rating attraction and looks are two very different things. You can be very attracted to someone even if they aren't physically what you would usually consider beautiful.

I guess if you're objective enough while quantifying looks alone then you can acknowledge that someone is better looking than another person etc (in your opinion) and scale things accordingly. Girls I know seem to be better at this than men, I think they are more willing to say whether a member of the same sex is good looking, and taking attraction out of the loop.

Attraction alters things, personality and looks affect attraction, but I don't think you can objectively score how attractive someone is. For example if you meet someone you are crazy about would they score 10 on the attraction score? Would everyone else you knew drop down to 0? What about when you start getting over them or meet someone else?

In short, I think that the 1-10 rating system is something that people use in a lighthearted manner, not as an actual serious system for applying values to people (At least no with people I've met).

With regards to comments and compliments then someone can think you are good looking and be attracted to you, think you are good looking and not be attracted to you, think you are average looking and be attracted to you or find you average looking and not be attracted to you. If they think you're ugly they're not looking hard enough. I'd suggest if the compliment is along the lines of looking good then the reply is thank you, but if they say you are looking attractive then that might mean they are interested in you; the reply is still thank you.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jul 2010, 11:48 am

NinjaHermit wrote:
I think rating attraction and looks are two very different things. You can be very attracted to someone even if they aren't physically what you would usually consider beautiful.

So true. I was once strongly attracted to this guy, who's looks were not, IMO my usual thing at all. I did not act on it, being aspie, and being almost positive that he was a complete jerk, but there is no explaining chemistry between people, LOL.
NinjaHermit wrote:
For example if you meet someone you are crazy about would they score 10 on the attraction score? Would everyone else you knew drop down to 0? What about when you start getting over them or meet someone else?

Again, so true. My SO is attractive to me, but not what I would usually have imagined to be very attractive. There are still types of attractiveness that get my attention, but I realize that those types are not what I am currently involved with. So, it had nothing to do with a scale of 1 - 10, or how much of a hottie my guy is or isn't.