Meeting the parents of significant other

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 3:17 pm

Hi, it's me! Yeah, so as of a few hours ago we planned that I'm going to be spending the night at his house since he's free today and tomorrow. The thing is, his parents live there. So I'll be meeting his parents and I'm really nervous. I spent the past 2 hours making sure I look good. I rarely take that long to get ready. How should I go about this? They know I'm his girlfriend so I'm expecting lots of questions. Any advice? >.<

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 3:36 pm

While I don't have a boyfriend I also worry for this day just as much as the guy meeting the girls parents it goes both ways. :-)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 3:38 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
While I don't have a boyfriend I also worry for this day just as much as the guy meeting the girls parents it goes both ways. :-)

Yeah. I hope they aren't strict but considering how quiet, withdrawn and polite he is....I'm a bit nervous. Who knows? They could be totally cool. I hope so. D:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 3:45 pm

Just be polite and friendly (not rude and fierce), and say nice things about their son, and dont say anything critical about their son. Parents like people who like their child and treat them well. You should be fine as you are respectable and nice and have a 'virtuous' history.

I hate meeting peoples parents and Im just the sort of woman that parents dont want their sons mixed up with, seeing as I have children of different colours and am mad and rude and look very unrespectable!

However you are lovely and all things a mother in law wants, so you will do great! They will love you!

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 4:47 pm

Yeah, just be sweet and nice and complimentry of everything. :)
You're lovely so you'll have no worries!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:10 pm

When would be the wedding?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:15 pm

GL Erisad. You will have to tell us how it went.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:21 pm

As others have said, just be nice and smile a lot. Hopefully you'll become comfortable talking with them fairly quickly. Good luck! :)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 10:05 pm

Thanks for all the support guys! Reading back on these comments really make me smile. :)

Well, things went very well. His mom's a sweetheart and his dad said "hi" once and was working in the basement for the rest of the time. He seemed nice too, just busy. I spent most of the weekend with my bf in his room though. :wink: :oops:

They both are retired teachers that still take substituting jobs. My dad's a teacher so that helped with conversation. Not to mention his mom graduated from the same college that I'm currently attending. Needless to say, I think his momma likes me. The dad? I'll have to find out during another visit I guess. :)

Boo - Wedding? Oh goodness me. Not yet. I would rather date him a while longer first. I can't afford it anyway. Hooray for being a poor college student! :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm

Glad it went well. I think I would have been nervous for an entirely different reason. I don't do that bad with parents but - meeting them and sleeping over the same night would be tense, though I guess the scenario may look different if you drove several hours to visit vs. drove a few minutes or walked a few blocks.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 11:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Glad it went well. I think I would have been nervous for an entirely different reason. I don't do that bad with parents but - meeting them and sleeping over the same night would be tense, though I guess the scenario may look different if you drove several hours to visit vs. drove a few minutes or walked a few blocks.

They were actually okay with me sleeping over. Probably because the drive is about an hour long and it just made sense to have me spend the night instead of having him drive two hours each day to see me. Besides, it was a change of scenery and the first time I've spent the night in a boy's room. :) :oops:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 12:14 am

:thumright: :thumright:

Good to get some positive stuff on this forum for a change. I hope things keep going well.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 6:29 am

Yaaaay. Good for you, girl. :)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 8:12 am

hale_bopp wrote:

Good to get some positive stuff on this forum for a change. I hope things keep going well.

I know right? That's kind of why I wanted to post this here. XD

I hope so too. I mean, he had already nursed me back from a meltdown already and he didn't treat me any differently after the meltdown than he did before it. He wants to be a therapist and all so I guess I'll be his first patient. :heart: :oops:

Thanks emlion, I feel so happy. ^_^

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 8:24 am

Erisad wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

I hope so too. I mean, he had already nursed me back from a meltdown already and he didn't treat me any differently after the meltdown than he did before it. He wants to be a therapist and all so I guess I'll be his first patient. :heart: :oops:

Aww. My boyfriend doesn't look at me any differently after I had a meltdown either. I was so sure he would judge me, but he didn't. :heart:
People must be sick of us being all mushy over our fantastic men. :lol:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 8:30 am

emlion wrote:
Erisad wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Aww. My boyfriend doesn't look at me any differently after I had a meltdown either. I was so sure he would judge me, but he didn't. :heart:
People must be sick of us being all mushy over our fantastic men. :lol:

I thought the same thing. :heart:

They probably are but as hale_bopp said, we need more positivity on this forum. So we're just trying to bring a little light to this place. ^_^