Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 7:02 am

I look at programs like "Friends" or"Sex in the City" or "Cougars" or "Seinfeld" or "Two men and a boy" or any other show.

They are all about people in their thirties or forties looking for "Mr" or "Miss" "Right"

"Yeah, I went out with this girl but I dropped her because she chewed with her mouth open."

Do the women want to give up their "freedom" to have babies (if they still can) and drive them to kindergarten?

Do the men want to give up being "Joe Cool" and bedding many women to take on a huge mortgage on a house?

No they don't.

So why don't they just admit it and have sex with a lot of people without pretending that they are looking for "the oone".?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 7:06 am

Maybe that's the hidden message of the shows. A good way of managing population would be to use the media to make it seem cool to be older and childless.

But there still needs to be a 'veneer' of making an effort, because traditionally it is seen as an important thing to do to marry off and procreate, a duty even, to the family lineage, the species as a whole, the community or whatever.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 7:56 am

Wombat wrote:
I look at programs like "Friends" or"Sex in the City" or "Cougars" or "Seinfeld" or "Two men and a boy" or any other show.

They are all about people in their thirties or forties looking for "Mr" or "Miss" "Right"

"Yeah, I went out with this girl but I dropped her because she chewed with her mouth open."

Do the women want to give up their "freedom" to have babies (if they still can) and drive them to kindergarten?

Do the men want to give up being "Joe Cool" and bedding many women to take on a huge mortgage on a house?

No they don't.

So why don't they just admit it and have sex with a lot of people without pretending that they are looking for "the oone".?

I want to have babies because I want to be a parent and I like kids. I wouldn't be giving up my freedom. Some people are too lazy to be parents and some are never ready to have kids so they have them anyway and end up being lazy parents.

Some are smart to make a wise choice by not having them because they see they wouldn't be good parents and they don't want all that responsibility. I respect their decision.

I don't see it as giving up their freedom, they would enjoy being a parent even if it's lot of work. It's the lazy ones who would find their kids to be in the way and not want to do their jobs. And hearing "I don't know how to be with a five year old" is the lamest excuse ever because how hard is it to play a board game with a five year old? How hard is it to play with dolls? How hard is it to watch a show with a five year old? Yeah just an excuse to not spend time with their child.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 9:52 am

Wombat wrote:

No they don't.

"Two men and a boy" sounds suspiciously like Two And A Half Men, but since that show is already about someone having sex with a lot of people without pretending that he is looking for "the one", I don't believe I'm thinking of the right show. :?

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 6:55 am

Moog wrote:
Maybe that's the hidden message of the shows. A good way of managing population would be to use the media to make it seem cool to be older and childless.

Then those shows would be banned here, the government wants our 22 million population to skyrocket into around 35 million, we don't even hae the resources for that many people...

League_Girl wrote:
Some are smart to make a wise choice by not having them because they see they wouldn't be good parents and they don't want all that responsibility. I respect their decision.

That would be me, I have no interest in relationships and have never even liked children.

If I had a child I would be depressed and the child would be neglected, though not abused. I would not WANT to spend time with the child, I prefer being alone by nature and even as a young child, I hated young children. I can see this and am smart enough to stay away from this stuff, sadly many others aren't and that's where all these abused and neglected children come from...

Mouldy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2010, 9:33 am

I dont really ever plan to have kids and being to young to (legally) "make" them is somthing i shouldnt be thinking about really i want to live my OWN life before giving it all up for a kid but hey soon i could have a wife who will threaten to leave me unless i do have kids eh'? haha seriously if that happened to me she would be out i hate being pressured into things and whenever im under pressure i do things wrong anyway :( ah well life goes on and its a decision if you want to create it or not that matters...

My favorite letter is the squiggly! ~ :D

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2010, 12:02 pm

Two men and a boy, lol. Anyways those shows aren't real life, they are meant to make fun of everyday things like dating and when watching those shows, I expect to be entertained. Even though they are fiction, I wouldn't mind having a life like Jerry Seinfeld; stay free and be able to have a variety access of women if needed but again, we know real life isn't that simple. But like Jerry I too would dump a women if she had man hands. :lol:

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

alana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 4:09 am

Wombat wrote:

No they don't.

the breeding imperative is extremely strong, otherwise no one would do it, Adam and Eve wouldn't have ever spawned in the first place and there would have never been sitcoms. There is a reason sex is pleasurable, because if it were like grocery shopping or taking out the trash no one would EVER take the risk of reproduction. Plus dating is exhausting, and std's are demotivating.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 4:26 am

American television is extremely, how do I put it politely... sh***y, at projecting positive images of relationships and especially marriage. One of the reasons for this is that TV series needs continuity, and writers are afraid of getting "stuck".

So you always get the so-called protagonist finding the girl of his dreams, only in the end to discover some superficiality/artificial problem that would be easily solved in real life, that results in a dumping.

The only TV series I know of that managed a serious LTR was Gilmore Girls, between that cook woman and her husband. Even so, they were peripheral characters. The writers were afraid to make the "protagonist", Lorelai, happy, for any prolonged period of time, because that means there's no drama, and no drama means no good TV.

To them.

I believe its possible to write TV shows with positive, affirmative messages about relationships, where people approach them like adults, and not like horny spoiled children with no self control and no sense of responsibility (for latter, see Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice/Sex In The City, etc - "Oh no I got drunk and he seduced me ! As 40-year-old adult, I totally didn't see THAT coming !").

IN SHORT - don't get your dating advice from TV shows. They got everything wrong. They often even show sex wrong. But I'm not gonna go into detail on that.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 10:59 pm

Wombat wrote:

Don't watch TV? There's a huge slew of good movies out there. Situational comedies, are well, situational.

Quote:

Uh, yeah. Hotel rooms are a drag and there's a lot to be said about Lake Tahoe ;)

Plus, what else do guys do with their money if not spend it on women? Spend it on themselves! I got two snow boards waiting for me at REI and just got back from skiing the powder at Heavenly :)

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 7:14 pm

I personaly hate relationships,I call myself a whore and tell everyone I don't date.
I see alot of ladys from time to time and one of them was tring to get more and more serious (and that is no good because I have no ability to relaite my emotions in a calm manner, I either can't put my thoughts into words,afrad to,or explode and say the worst things pos.).when we got into 2 diff. fights, I exploded and she was afriad to talk to me.she then told me that she has been with only me for the 2 years and I fell bad because I would like to make her happy, but I know what I do in relationships and it doesn't work I get to worked up over little things.she is totally faithfull but I still am sooooooooooooo jealous and would picture her doing something ,I always do, I get jealous over other peoples girlfriends(I get mad when my friends girlfriends get hit-on,or is talking to someone)
know who you are and what you can do
there is a place for everyone

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:20 am

Sometimes I have to wonder if Asperger's is nature's way of discouraging breeding among a segment of the population. For whatever reason.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2010, 11:56 am

Mouldy wrote:
I dont really ever plan to have kids and being to young to (legally) "make" them is somthing i shouldnt be thinking about really i want to live my OWN life before giving it all up for a kid but hey soon i could have a wife who will threaten to leave me unless i do have kids eh'? haha seriously if that happened to me she would be out i hate being pressured into things and whenever im under pressure i do things wrong anyway ah well life goes on and its a decision if you want to create it or not that matters...

Supposedly NT people who are otherwise f@#$ed up in the head honestly believe that they can pressure someone into doing this stuff! I don't yield to pressure like that very easily (Read: AT ALL). Because of this people say that I'm rigid, unwilling to compromise, selfish, and the like.

danmac wrote:
I personaly hate relationships,I call myself a whore and tell everyone I don't date.

Oh kindred soul...we share similar circumstances and feelings on the matter. I detest the very idea of being in a relationship and/or dating. As I have gotten older, I prefer to hang out with a certain group of people and leave the dating scene alone. The relationship thing drained me mentally and physically, and pi$$ed me off because the women were only interested in how much they thought they could get me to spend on them!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:33 pm

Because a TV show about people who are married and have kids is a different genre, for a different audience, and would require a completely different set of characters and plots.

I've seen every episode of Friends multiple times, and in the end they all fall in love with someone and live happily in that stereotypical way society wants us all to live.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 6:12 pm

I've given up on relationships, a long time ago, in the mid 90s.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 6:44 pm

In my opinion, there is no such thing as "the one". There are many many people who are very good potential partners out there.

Spiritual beliefs can really influence peoples thinking, a lot of people who are misearble about this sort of thing might benefit in getting some faith.

I am happy with my spiritual beliefs, and they contribute to how I look at and deal with life, as a result I am content with just me.