Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Lia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Being an Aspie I know relationships can be hard any way, but does any one feel that because of tv and movies, that they have an unrealistic expectation of romance? For me I get so hooked on action and sci-fi movies I'm not sure I'll be happy if the guy hasnt saved me from a alien or some thing lol. Does any one have advice for the poor relationship ignorant aspie who be me?

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

Lol no, no advice at all. My standards for a partner are completely unreasonable and I wouldn't have it any other way

Lia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

AtticusKane wrote:
Lol no, no advice at all. My standards for a partner are completely unreasonable and I wouldn't have it any other way

Lol what are your unreasonable standards? they have to be eactly 5.4 for example?

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

idk really depends just try experimenting and you will find what you like. try online dating or having hobbies.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

My fandom is pretty lonely, and my standards are rather steep as well. At the very least, a potential partner has to be an avid Mario Bros. gamer and also asexual.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

I'm trying to make romantic relationships one of my special interests for some time now, with questionable success so far... I do realize that some of my expectations stem form the current culture that saturates our lives. I have to consciously restrain myself from it in order to be able to appreciate more real, more mundane women. I think I have to learn how to dig deeper into the realm of subtle personality traits...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:30 pm

You're not poor and ignorant. Relationships require social interaction, and that's one thing people with ASDs struggle with. Personally speaking, I don't have much trouble in relationships. I'm just trying to find the right man for me, because I can't bear to go out with somebody who I don't fancy. But I struggle in other social areas. This is why it's taking me over 3 years to find a job.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

(Thread moved from Autism discussion to L&D)

HybridAP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2011, 11:44 am

Lia wrote:
Being an Aspie I know relationships can be hard any way, but does any one feel that because of tv and movies, that they have an unrealistic expectation of romance? For me I get so hooked on action and sci-fi movies I'm not sure I'll be happy if the guy hasnt saved me from a alien or some thing lol. Does any one have advice for the poor relationship ignorant aspie who be me?

Actually, this is one of the main reasons why I believe the only real relationship I had failed. It was an online relationship and we were together for 6 months before we finally met. The problem was, neither of us had been in a real relationship before, and we loved stories and so on so we expected that when we met things would just magically work out like they do in the movies. We figured out far too late after we had broken up that things just don't fall in place like they are shown in the movies and that we actually have to work at it.

Lia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

HybridAP wrote:
Lia wrote:

Actually, this is one of the main reasons why I believe the only real relationship I had failed. It was an online relationship and we were together for 6 months before we finally met. The problem was, neither of us had been in a real relationship before, and we loved stories and so on so we expected that when we met things would just magically work out like they do in the movies. We figured out far too late after we had broken up that things just don't fall in place like they are shown in the movies and that we actually have to work at it.

Exactly what i worry about, though i do still believe things can work that way, i also think it requires a bit more than stories lead us to believe. love is tough :)