Are there any GOOD dating sites?

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 11:04 am

I've been to em all as a bored attempt at meeting someone.

Seems they all suck or want you money.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by liveandletdie on 08 Oct 2010, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 11:48 am

My stepdad signed me up for a dating site behind my back. Only reason I'm against it is that it caters to evangelical Christians, which I tend to not be totally thrilled with.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2010, 1:04 pm

Some of these articles may be of interest:

"Why You Should Never Pay For Online Dating"
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/why-y ... ne-dating/

"Online Dating Industry Study…"
http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/2010/ ... try-study/

"How Do I Love Thee?"
''A growing number of Internet dating sites are relying on academic researchers to develop a new science of attraction. A first hand report from the front lines of an unprecedented social experiment.''
By Lori Gottlieb
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... thee/4602/

"Logging On For Love"
''The author [Lori Gottlieb] of this month's cover story talks about love and the new research that's being produced by Internet matchmaking services''
By Elizabeth Wasserman
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... love/4573/

"Better Mating Through Circuitry: A Q&A with the woman [Virginia Vitzthum] who literally wrote the book on online dating"
by Sarah Hepola
http://www.nerve.com/screeningroom/book ... avitzthum/ .

Two caveats. First, I recommend you take the "science" discussed in those articles, with a big grain of salt. Second, I have never signed-up with a dating website. Every so often I think about trying dating again, but looking through the profiles on some free sites convinces me that I have very little in common with other people. It also reminds me of how exhausting and draining dating was, and I have even less energy these days. As the saying goes, my wild oats have turned to shredded wheat. :lol:

azbluesgal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 4:02 pm

stay the heck away from plenty of fish...what a bunch of losers....nobody is real there...zig :twisted: :x :wink:

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 4:47 pm

I've made many connections using OkCupid. It's free; it's got an advanced matching system; it's got very precise matching options and a number of helpful features. It is also decent for making friends.

It's about the only good thing I've found.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 6:12 pm

chaotik_lord wrote:
I've made many connections using OkCupid. It's free; it's got an advanced matching system; it's got very precise matching options and a number of helpful features. It is also decent for making friends.

It's about the only good thing I've found.

I was talking to one girl for awhile on there, but she hasn't replied for over a week so am thinking I offended her somehow =/. Which is too bad we had a good month writing each other every other day but she is all the way on the other side of the country.

Maybe i'll keep trying on there, though my matches seem to be slim.

I just want some girls to talk to just so i have a little more experience even if it isn't in person.

waves5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2010, 6:34 pm

Okcupid, plenty of fish and a couple others.

Last edited by waves5 on 09 Oct 2010, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 9:25 am

A few days ago a Wrong Planet member posted saying he had sex with a few chicks off of Plenty of Fish. That site must be good.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Oct 2010, 1:09 pm

I've tried a lot of the mainstream dating sites & lots of smaller sites the last 6 years. I would recommend that you do NOT rely on dating sites. I was very active & sent out lots of messages but most people did not respond & the few women who did quit messaging soon after. It might be because of my specific situation thou; I'm disabled. I probably would of had better luck if I wasn't. I got very few replies on OK cupid & most of the people who messaged me on POF were guys

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 3:40 pm

nick007 wrote:
I've tried a lot of the mainstream dating sites & lots of smaller sites the last 6 years. I would recommend that you do NOT rely on dating sites. I was very active & sent out lots of messages but most people did not respond & the few women who did quit messaging soon after. It might be because of my specific situation thou; I'm disabled. I probably would of had better luck if I wasn't. I got very few replies on OK cupid & most of the people who messaged me on POF were guys

ya your right, I think I am going to put more effort into joining some clubs where there might be women at my school...

especially since there aren't really any good ones..as supported by the responses.

I am not disabled and didn't get many replies either on okcupid. also like I said the only girl I was talking to just like your situation stopped talking to me after about 3-4 weeks.

I can remember I was really close to a girl from california on myspace though..this was like 4-5 years ago...hmm..kind of want to look her back up as she was really cool though she lived far away. Deleted my myspace though so would have to make another =/

Thanks for input everyone...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 4:27 pm

Is your avatar a pic of you :?: It kind of looks like that guy Ryan from The OC. Lots of women liked him :wink:

I still use a few dating sites but I'm not relying or expecting to meet anyone off of em. I'm mostly there for the forums. I find posting in forums to be more beneficial in getting PMs instead of me going true search list & messaging every woman. Maybe cuz the active more serious members read the forums & they can kind of get a feel of me from my post instead of my PMs going unnoticed because the men outnumber the women a lot on most sites so the women get swamped with messages. I deleted my MySpace account a few days ago; the few friends I had were people I haven't chatted with in a long time & I was never very active ther. I don't use other mainstream social sites either; there like a high-school popularity contest

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

anything but 'aspie affection'

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 5:23 pm

I've had pretty good luck with facebook and myspace. I'd stay away from most dating sites, especially the ones that charge for a membership, and forget craig's list.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Oct 2010, 5:31 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

aspie affection is the best aspie dating site, though. I made it. http://aspieaffection.com

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 5:55 pm

alex wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

aspie affection is the best aspie dating site, though. I made it. http://aspieaffection.com

Is it still broken :?: I joined it before summer started around the same time I joined WP & every time I tried to run a search; I got some page with code stuff. A couple months ago I started getting that code page every time I tried logging in. I tried creating a new account & after I entered info; I got the code page thing again. Aspie Affection also has a very high ratio of men to women. I think it was something like 10 to 1 if I remember the stats page correctly & did the math rite from when I 1st joined. With odds like that the women get swamped with PMs & some get scared off & the good guys do not get noticed. There's also a couple other Aspie dating sites out there. Dating sites only work if there's lots of members join. It would be much better to have only one site. Maybe WP could be upgraded to have a search feature thing instead of having Aspie Affection & the other sites

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 6:37 pm

nick007 wrote:
alex wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Is it still broken :?: I joined it before summer started around the same time I joined WP & every time I tried to run a search; I got some page with code stuff. A couple months ago I started getting that code page every time I tried logging in. I tried creating a new account & after I entered info; I got the code page thing again. Aspie Affection also has a very high ratio of men to women. I think it was something like 10 to 1 if I remember the stats page correctly & did the math rite from when I 1st joined. With odds like that the women get swamped with PMs & some get scared off & the good guys do not get noticed. There's also a couple other Aspie dating sites out there. Dating sites only work if there's lots of members join. It would be much better to have only one site. Maybe WP could be upgraded to have a search feature thing instead of having Aspie Affection & the other sites

The search has been working now for me.