Is the mindset the same regarding social norms of dating?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

Just curious. Wonder if society agrees to a set of rules of eyeing a man/woman up, chatting them up, social cues of dating them etc.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

Oh yes. Just don't ask me to tell you what those rules are.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2012, 5:37 am

I'm not sure if there are a set of rules so much as there are more popular and less popular ways of doing things like this. 'Most' people may follow the societally approved/accepted behaviour when eyeing someone up whilst others are afraid to give someone they like eye contact at times. I think there's a methodology to it and I guess then they can be seen as rules if they are adhered to more strictly than just 'winging it'. I'm not sure really, I guess it all depends on the person you are interested in and what they feel. If that person feels there are rules to be followed with this sort of thing then that's what they will be expecting, conversely if the other person does not know the rules themselves then for all intents and purposes there are no rules, or no normal/socially accepted ones anyway. I feel like I'm bending spoons with my mind here lol.

I'm over thinking this :)

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2012, 6:09 am

this is why i feel that some PUA materials have some inherent value to them.

if you come off as creepy, or too-soft, or any number of other things, you will scare people off. learning how to suppress small things that you do that consciously or subconsciously make people uncomfortable seems optimal. not seeking to 'round' your skill set seems silly, to me.

not seeking to improve your 'skills' is like saying you want something, but you arent willing to work towards it by changing small things that are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.