How do you "Get Confidence?"

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WA5p
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2013, 1:22 am

This is something that has been eating at me for the past few days...

I know I need to be "more confident," if I want girls to actually agree to go out with me, but this seems impossible to pull off.

It is like there is some innate quality within me that does not allow me to be confident.

It feels like even if I have a successful personal life in some areas, those successes do not translate into me being able to put on a show of confidence (which girls look for).

Telling someone to "get confidence" feels like such generic advice, especially when it feels like some people are just blessed with "swagger" and the natural ability to chat people up.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 1:25 am

WA5p wrote:
This is something that has been eating at me for the past few days...

I know I need to be "more confident," if I want girls to actually agree to go out with me, but this seems impossible to pull off.

It is like there is some innate quality within me that does not allow me to be confident.

It feels like even if I have a successful personal life in some areas, those successes do not translate into me being able to put on a show of confidence (which girls look for).

Telling someone to "get confidence" feels like such generic advice, especially when it feels like some people are just blessed with "swagger" and the natural ability to chat people up.

if a woman likes you,you have confidence.that's how you get it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 1:33 am

billiscool wrote:
if a woman likes you,you have confidence.that's how you get it.

Disagree. Confidence is much more internal than it is something that can be bestowed upon you by others.

I've become dramatically more confident over the last several months. One major reason is the near complete elimination of anxiety symptoms. No longer anxious or nervous, I'm becoming much more confident in myself in every area of my life from work to physical capabilities to friendships & relationships.

Becoming more physically fit hasn't hurt, either, but I could be completely ripped and still not feel confident if my thoughts were still nervous and anxious. They're not. Now, if I chose, I could be confident as an out of shape slob because I think & feel better than ever. I won't do that to myself, though, as I quite like the many benefits of physical fitness - including the fact that it makes me more attractive to a potential partner.

WA5p
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2013, 1:40 am

^ Yeah, my thoughts have always been anxious and nervous no matter how well things have been going for me in other aspects of my life.

I try and talk to lots and lots of girls, but they instantly clue in to the fact that I have no confidence, and they turn off from me.

It is as if they have a very strong social radar that instantly picks up on my lack of swagger.

It seems as if VERY strong social skills are the ultimate prerequisite for guys in this highly-evolved society.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 1:45 am

Keep saying "me so great" like 100 times before you go to sleep every night. Maybe you'll start to actually believe it, and then so will chicks. :idea:

Last edited by Venger on 27 Dec 2013, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 1:47 am

WA5p wrote:
^ Yeah, my thoughts have always been anxious and nervous no matter how well things have been going for me in other aspects of my life.

I try and talk to lots and lots of girls, but they instantly clue in to the fact that I have no confidence, and they turn off from me.

It is as if they have a very strong social radar that instantly picks up on my lack of swagger.

It seems as if VERY strong social skills are the ultimate prerequisite for guys in this highly-evolved society.

what do you say to these girls? how do you come off to them?

WA5p
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2013, 1:58 am

^ I think it is not more what I say, but "how I say it." + my body language, posture, tone of voice, etc....

I also really don't know how to "flirt" or make small-talk...

The thing is that I DO actually enjoy doing "the little things" to build up to a relationship, but I suck at doing them and I don't know the exact "right thing" to do in a situation.

Sometimes it feels to me like I was just born to naturally be un-confident and inhibited, while other Type-A individuals are naturally charismatic, suave, magnets for girls.

When I talk to girls, I just try and make chit-chat, but it seems to always come out "wrong." I also try and discuss more substantial things too.

I am 28 and have never dated. No girl has ever agreed to go out with me.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:10 am

The first step toward gaining confidence is learning not to fear failure. Start there.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:15 am

(to wa5p):do you have female friends?

WA5p
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2013, 2:18 am

No, I don't really have any female friends (or male friends) for that matter....

I have some waitresses I know at various restaurants, but that is it. I try chatting them up sometimes.

A big part of my problem is that I have a very small social circle, which makes it pretty much impossible for me to be introduced to new acquaintences...... (friends setting me up with their friends, etc).....

I never go out and "party."

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:26 am

WA5p wrote:
No, I don't really have any female friends (or male friends) for that matter....

I have some waitresses I know at various restaurants, but that is it. I try chatting them up sometimes.

A big part of my problem is that I have a very small social circle, which makes it pretty much impossible for me to be introduced to new acquaintences...... (friends setting me up with their friends, etc).....

I never go out and "party."

well,that sucks for you.I wish I could help more.

bearsandsyrup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2013, 2:36 am

The way that I became confident was largely spiritual (believing in my innate value in God's eyes), but part of it was also through introspection.

I identified my strengths and positive qualities-- for instance, I am kind, intelligent, beautiful, passionate, focused, assertive, honest, and compassionate. I focus on those things and on further developing those traits. Focusing on my strengths rather than my shortcomings has helped me to be both happier and more confident. That's not to say that I don't confront my struggles and weaknesses when they come up-- I absolutely do. But there's no sense in borrowing trouble-- why spend all of my time thinking about my negatives when that does me no good and just serves to inundate me with angst, self-loathing, and insecurity?

So that was my big turn around in the personal realm-- focusing on my positives until I realized that I really am a good, lovable person.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:45 am

^Self love & appreciation is definitely a key component to being self confident.

Of all the books I've read on various self help topics, I'd say the single best piece of advice I gleaned from one of them was to treat yourself as good or better as you do others you love. Very simple, but very profound. I contemplated this for quite some time and have since implemented it. Sometimes if I'm feeling a bit low, I think back to this advice and these thoughts and start having much better thoughts about myself. I think about how much I love my closest and best friends, my God children etc & remind myself of my capacity to love - and that I am equally deserving of that very same love that I am so easily willing to show others. Then I think some pretty wonderful and amazing thoughts about myself and instantly feel better for it, because thoughts dictate emotions & emotions dictate actions.. so, once I'm thinking better, I feel better, and once I feel better, my actions are better - and come across as a whole lot more confident to those around me.. because they are.

WA5p
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2013, 3:00 am

^ I can't disagree with any of that.....

Unfortunately for me, things like finding love, entering into a relationship, and having children, seem to be things on a higher plane than what I am capable of achieving under my own power. These things seem to be beyond the ceiling of what my intellect or (more likely) my social skills will let me achieve.

I don't know if this makes sense or not.

At times I feel as if no one could possibly love me.

I don't think I really have obvious qualities that are innately repelling either.... This is kind of exactly what happens to me; Sometimes a girl will even show initial interest in me and start chatting with me. It won't be long, however, until she realizes how odd and different I really am, and then she gets put off when it becomes clear I am not apt for "boyfriend material."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:04 am

It makes sense. I've felt like all of that in the past. I'm sure most of us on here have felt similarly, if not so much so the same that any one of us could have written your post.

It's truly only in the last handful of months or so that I'm feeling genuinely different, and better, about all of these things after figuring out a diet & natural treatment protocol that's worked wonders for me. My story & the diet/treatment protocol I've been following are in the link in my signature. Read it if you like & feel free to pm me if you'd care to discuss it.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:23 am

goldfish21 wrote:
^Self love & appreciation is definitely a key component to being self confident.

Of all the books I've read on various self help topics, I'd say the single best piece of advice I gleaned from one of them was to treat yourself as good or better as you do others you love. Very simple, but very profound. I contemplated this for quite some time and have since implemented it. Sometimes if I'm feeling a bit low, I think back to this advice and these thoughts and start having much better thoughts about myself. I think about how much I love my closest and best friends, my God children etc & remind myself of my capacity to love - and that I am equally deserving of that very same love that I am so easily willing to show others. Then I think some pretty wonderful and amazing thoughts about myself and instantly feel better for it, because thoughts dictate emotions & emotions dictate actions.. so, once I'm thinking better, I feel better, and once I feel better, my actions are better - and come across as a whole lot more confident to those around me.. because they are.

none of that matters,confidence is a subjective matter.it's simple,if a woman likes
a guy,in her view he's ''confidence''.People give you confidence.Women decide
which men have ''confidence''.