Falling in love with fictional characters

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2013, 9:47 am

It happens to me all the time. Seriously. By contrast, feeling even a slight attraction to a real person happens extremely rarely.
Is this an aspie thing? Discuss...

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 10:00 am

Only happened with Dana Scully and Monica Reyes here. :)

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

Looking at all the people with a thing for anime characters, video game characters, and book characters, I don't think it's an Aspie thing. Fictional characters show a complexity and beauty that we can admire from a distance and have to work to see in real people, or may just be an idealized version of a person in the first place.

moisha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

If anime or animated characters count then I am your man.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:14 am

I've definitely been sexually attracted to the female characters I draw. But then they are supposed to be sexually attractive to begin with.

RudeGoldbergMachine
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2013, 12:44 pm

For me, sometimes I feel I know a fictional character better than real people, because whatever book or movie they're in deliberately tells you all about them, their traits, and their feelings without any awkward posturing and BS to get past. So if they have an attractive personality and good character, you know it. So yeah, I experience attraction and even infatuation with fictional characters all the freakin time. Back when I was a teen I called it "love" but now with some relationship experience I realize it isn't that because you can't truly love someone that you can't have any kind of mutual relationship with. Tho I do think if some characters came to life next to me I'd easily fall for them, and do other things along the way ;)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 2:59 pm

ParaSait wrote:
It happens to me all the time. Seriously. By contrast, feeling even a slight attraction to a real person happens extremely rarely.

I'm like that too.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

I have never fallen in love with a fictional character.
I can't sympathize with them.

I can at best feel some tenderness for a real person, I can't feel anything for a fictional character.

I may like some of them, think some are similar to me, but I can't sympathize or fall in love with them.

I don't understand it when people on this forum say they can sympathize with a fictional character better and fall in love with them.
To me sympathizing with a fictional character is as hard as sympathizing with a real person.
Again, the 90% of people on this forum seem to have better social and emotional skills than I do.
When people on this forum say things like that they look just like the avarage persons I see everyday IRL that say "I can't sympathize with people and I don't like them but I have a lot of sympathy for fictional characters and fall in love with them a lot".
Oh and people who say this IRL to me are all NTs.
So I don't think it is related to AS.

deluge1988
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2013, 3:46 pm

Last edited by deluge1988 on 01 Aug 2013, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:47 pm

deluge1988 wrote:
nope not everything can be blamed on Asperger's and this is one of those things that's just outside of its scope.

Ditto.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:49 pm

Fictional characters can have ideal or unusual looks, especially if you are into anime characters. It's not like in real life I'd ever meet a boy with thick waist length white hair and dog ears.

You know everything about them without ever meeting or interacting with them.

Since you never interact with them they can never treat you badly.

I have a fictional self that interacts with the fictional characters.

I haven't been thinking about them much lately but I found my fake life to be interesting and fulfilled me in some way.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 4:15 pm

hanyo wrote:
Fictional characters can have ideal or unusual looks, especially if you are into anime characters. It's not like in real life I'd ever meet a boy with thick waist length white hair and dog ears.

You know everything about them without ever meeting or interacting with them.

Since you never interact with them they can never treat you badly.

I have a fictional self that interacts with the fictional characters.

I haven't been thinking about them much lately but I found my fake life to be interesting and fulfilled me in some way.

I have no concept of "ideal or unusual look", because I don't care much about looks, and have no idea of "perfect beauty" or "ideal look" in people.

I don't care about knowing everything about a fictional character.

I don't care about being treated badly (unless it's physical aggresion towards me) because teasing, prise, and criticism from others don't interest me and don't touch me.

I have another self that interacts with characters that are usually creted by my own mind, and only occasionally are fictional character that somebody else has created.
However, the interaction with my characters or the fictional ones are never romantic, are mostly like if I were near them and they were near me but rarely talk to each other, or it's me talking and them listening.
And usually my characters and animals, more rarely people.

I find my internal world of fantasies to be funnier than the world out there and I spend more time in my world while drawing my characters or listening to music.

In a report card from 9th grade a teacher wrote "has a great internal world" and in a diagnostic paper there was written "is greatly focused on internal thoughts and shows schizoid tendencies in the way she is focused on her fantasies".

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2013, 5:36 pm

I for one can sympathize with fictional characters more easily because they're not a social agent. You don't need to approach them socially, you just read/watch/play their story as the plot unfolds to you. That's what makes me think it may be related to asperger's.
If we're talking solely about the idealized looks of anime or japanese game characters... well yeah sure it's easy to find them physically attractive. But by falling in love I really do mean getting emotionally involved and all that.

@chlov: there is a difference between being socially impaired and being schizoid, right... aspies by nature are socially impaired, but not every one of them is schizoid, even though most may SEEM schizoid because their empathetic capabilities never really come to play in relation to the outside world, because of the social impairment... at least that's what I think of it...

moisha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2013, 10:13 pm

ParaSait wrote:

Woman marries dolphin
Jerusalem
January 2, 2006
Sharon Tendler met Cindy 15 years ago. She
said it was love at first sight. This week she finally
took the plunge and proposed. The lucky "guy"
plunged right back.

Is this weird or an aspie thing or just about falling and being in love with whomever or whatever? Don't we all get to pick and chose?

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:53 am

I once joked that Princess Peach was my girlfriend ( my best friend bought me Super Princess Peach for my birthday, his boss at Gamestop said flat out that I needed a girlfriend so I pointed at the game case with a goofy look on my face and laughter ensued )

Once I discovered that Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII was releasing on February 11th I joked that I guess Lighting will be my date for Valentine's Day ( or as I call it since I've never had a date, Depression Day )

I have dirty thoughts about Krystal from Star Fox.

I have a lot of yuri hentai....

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2013, 1:00 am

I had a thing for most of the females in Avatar: The last airbender. But i have found myself pining away over movie characters. In fact I intended an alter ego of myself in an anime like world where I could influence people, basically read their minds but only sexually. Know there desires and thoughts and experiences and also kind of control them. He also could control blue fire and lighting and chuck it around. I think I had decided to start some sort of story or comic based on him being in a school with other people who had powers, and basically having sex with everyone. Yea so it was more of me creating a version of me where ik what other people were thinking and i got a lot of sex. Kinda the opposite of my life.