Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 5:16 pm

More often than not, I wind up waiting for the other person to say that they need to go. :P

Otherwise I really struggle with giving a reason, unless I actually have something that is requiring me to get off of the phone. :?

gez
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

this is a great discussion...

my boyfriend is an aspie.....and he often will call me and tell me all about what he has been doing and can speak non stop for 5 mins then will ask me what ive been doing and then will go "oh ok then" "bye"! !!

it used to upset me before I knew about aspergers......and now I find him copying how I end phone calls!! I find it quite funny as he repeats the lines like I say at the end of calls but somehow he gets the timing wrong sometimes!!

I tell him now though that he just has to say "I've just got to run, cos im late for (whatever)" "speak to you later" and this works fine when he calls other people....

With me he tends just to say that he has nothing else to say so hes off....and then he'll put the phone down!! !

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 5:43 pm

Mark198423 wrote:

Language diffenerence!! Tea = Dinner in much of England, don't really think a hot beverage is much of an excuse :wink:

Oh! :oops:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:36 pm

shadexiii wrote:
More often than not, I wind up waiting for the other person to say that they need to go. :P

Otherwise I really struggle with giving a reason, unless I actually have something that is requiring me to get off of the phone. :?

:lol: Yeah, me too, I'm sitting there thinking "please get bored with this conversation, PLEEEEEEEEEEASE get bored with this conversation..."

I find that a good excuse is
" (Insert family member here) needs to use the phone"

"I'd better let you go" also works well because it sounds like you are making an effort not to impose on their time rather than suggesting that they are imposing on yours.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 3:02 pm

I sort of have the opposite problem. Don't like answering the phone if I don't know who is calling and sometimes put the phone down without saying bye. I have been known to put the phone down mid sentence.

Are you making too much of an issue of it? Is it that they are talking really fast coming back with replies? Just talk slowly making lots of pauses, and then say you’ve got to go.

I know what you mean because sometime when I with someone I'm like that. Usually because I haven't decided just to go, so I end up staying forever, waiting for them to decide when they want to finish.

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 11:19 pm

"Gotta go, thanks, keep me posted", click.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 2:49 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
"I'd better let you go" also works well because it sounds like you are making an effort not to impose on their time rather than suggesting that they are imposing on yours.

Only problem with this one is that some people will just say 'I'm in no rush' or something similar!