I do! 85%  85%  [ 79 ]
meh 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 93

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:44 am

mitharatowen wrote:
Without my lenses, I'm legally blind!! Does that mean I get first pick of all the men in here? ;)

:lol:

thats hot

CJBinks
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 7:49 am

mitharatowen wrote:
Without my lenses, I'm legally blind!! Does that mean I get first pick of all the men in here? ;)

You have to ask?

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 8:07 am

CJBinks wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:

You have to ask?

*she puts on her glasses and surveys the crowd*

The lineup for auditioning for Aspie Bachelor begins over there. Please take a number, stay to the left and our Bachelorette Mitharatowen will be out shortly

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 10:25 am

So anyway, to be considered intelligent and into books these days a woman has to have bad eyesight? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Then again, stereotypes never do.

But I feel comforted by that fact that no guy with any reasonable level of intelligence would be superficial enough to believe that someones appearance could be an indication of their intelligence, personality, or passions (a.k.a. books).

Well, I do say, I believe I came across as rather cutting for a minute there. Oops. I'd apologize, except for the fact that I'm not sorry. :roll:

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 11:05 am

Quote:
So anyway, to be considered intelligent and into books these days a woman has to have bad eyesight? That doesn't make much sense to me.

The logical structure of that statement was "glasses=>sophistication", not the other way around.
Quote:
But I feel comforted by that fact that no guy with any reasonable level of intelligence would be superficial enough to believe that someones appearance could be an indication of their intelligence, personality, or passions (a.k.a. books).

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if, as a general heuristic, appearance probably isn't a terrible indicator of personality traits or even intelligence up to certain limitations. Unless you think there is absolutely no correlation between intelligence or personality and taste. I mean, it's not like we're proposing phrenology here or something.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 11:40 am

My guess is that girls with 'nerdy' type glasses are giving an indication that they are not obsessed with their looks. Or else they'd have fashionable glasses or contacts.

Myself, I usually wear contacts but I have glasses for backup and I've been wearing my glasses exclusively for like a month because my contacts are irritating my eyes lately and plus I'm lazy and don't particularly care what I look like lately.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2009, 11:46 am

sunshower wrote:

Well, I do say, I believe I came across as rather cutting for a minute there. Oops. I'd apologize, except for the fact that I'm not sorry. :roll:

I don't think a woman HAS to have BAD eyesight to be considered intelligent. But speaking from my own experience, it is a "stereotype" that does appear to have some grain of truth to it. I have met smart women who have perfect vision, but I have found them to be a very small minority (again, I am judging from my own experience). To be fair, I have also met some women with glasses who aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2009, 11:54 am

mitharatowen wrote:
My guess is that girls with 'nerdy' type glasses are giving an indication that they are not obsessed with their looks. Or else they'd have fashionable glasses or contacts.

Myself, I usually wear contacts but I have glasses for backup and I've been wearing my glasses exclusively for like a month because my contacts are irritating my eyes lately and plus I'm lazy and don't particularly care what I look like lately.

Heck, even wearing glasses out in public at all indicate less of a concern about appearance. Whether the frames are "fashionable" or not. And actually, a decent looking pair of frames to suit one's face is not too hard to find these days.

Now ultra-high index lenses, on the other hand....that can get costly.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 12:04 pm

Well some stylish girls wear fashion frames because they're going for a particular style. For example, my lovely fashionable friend.

I'm not even sure she actually needs glasses ...?

CJBinks
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 12:05 pm

sunshower wrote:

You have to realize there is a certain amount of rationalizing going on here. Given the amount of stereotyping, I'd say in most of these cases they find it attractive, not really sure why, and spit out the first thing to come to mind.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2009, 2:02 pm

CJBinks wrote:
sunshower wrote:

You have to realize there is a certain amount of rationalizing going on here. Given the amount of stereotyping, I'd say in most of these cases they find it attractive, not really sure why, and spit out the first thing to come to mind.

You want to talk about stereotyping? Fine....let's talk about stereotyping.

Like "nice guys" being portrayed as "weak", "sissies", "effiminate", "unconfident", yada freaking yada.... In many cases we are not even given the chance to prove that many of us are not these things. But that is a long rant to be taken to another thread, so I will bite my tongue....for now.

*Takes a second to breathe*

I apologize for the nasty tone of the first part.

And yes, I do have a tendency to be attracted to women with glasses. This is because my own experiences with women who wear glasses have overall been much more positive, and they have displayed many of the traits I look for in a potential mate (well-spoken conversation, acting like a lady and not a "hoe" in public, etc.) more consistently.

I do realize some of you have likely had different experiences and so that view will likely be different from mine. Given that relationships tend to be few and far between I try to make my "first contacts" count. With varying degrees of success, but I still try to make them count. For me, it makes a better "first impression". You know, first impressions, that something it seems almost everyone in the female gender seems to harp on us men about.

You want to call this rationalization? So be it. I call it making a rational conclusion based on personal experience over the course of my life.

Some of the women asked why those of us on this thread liked girls with glasses, and we answered why. Now you get an idea of what some of us think when we ask them why they date jerks. I was hoping some of them would actually take it as a compliment, because we can all use an emotional "hand up" every now and again. Also, us glasses-wearers could use some love, too, every now and again.

Instead of complimenting, we are stereotyping and rationalizing.

Thanks. Excuse me while I pull the stinger out.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 7:41 pm

I too have a glasses fetish.

I own a pair of non-prescription glasses
bought at a secondhand store about a year ago
for only $2.

This makes me think: Do people who wear fashionably-framed glasses really need them?

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 7:48 pm

Yeah, cause maybe they have bad eyesight :wink:

It turns me on, cause I can imagine just suddenly start passionately kissing and taking clothes off and he glasses falling off and then having hot sex.

*runs to the bathroom

CJBinks
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 7:56 pm

LordKristov wrote:
CJBinks wrote:
sunshower wrote:

You want to talk about stereotyping? Fine....let's talk about stereotyping.

Like "nice guys" being portrayed as "weak", "sissies", "effiminate", "unconfident", yada freaking yada.... In many cases we are not even given the chance to prove that many of us are not these things. But that is a long rant to be taken to another thread, so I will bite my tongue....for now.

*Takes a second to breathe*

I apologize for the nasty tone of the first part.

And yes, I do have a tendency to be attracted to women with glasses. This is because my own experiences with women who wear glasses have overall been much more positive, and they have displayed many of the traits I look for in a potential mate (well-spoken conversation, acting like a lady and not a "hoe" in public, etc.) more consistently.

I do realize some of you have likely had different experiences and so that view will likely be different from mine. Given that relationships tend to be few and far between I try to make my "first contacts" count. With varying degrees of success, but I still try to make them count. For me, it makes a better "first impression". You know, first impressions, that something it seems almost everyone in the female gender seems to harp on us men about.

You want to call this rationalization? So be it. I call it making a rational conclusion based on personal experience over the course of my life.

Some of the women asked why those of us on this thread liked girls with glasses, and we answered why. Now you get an idea of what some of us think when we ask them why they date jerks. I was hoping some of them would actually take it as a compliment, because we can all use an emotional "hand up" every now and again. Also, us glasses-wearers could use some love, too, every now and again.

Instead of complimenting, we are stereotyping and rationalizing.

Thanks. Excuse me while I pull the stinger out.

Whoa dude.

Chill.

What part of 'certain amount' or even 'most' didn't you understand? You have a reasoned, well thought out position. Most of the ones here don't. So, why do you assume I was talking about you?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 7:59 pm

WOW! 8O I just voted 'meh' cuz I don't particularly love girls in glasses and I wanted to see the results. Holy cow! 47??? Dang! Maybe I shouldn't wear my contacts anymore lol.

*laughs hysterically at the last line in her signature*
Lol I just noticed that :lmao:

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 8:07 pm

- Seemed kinda narcissistic in hindsight -

Last edited by mitharatowen on 27 Feb 2009, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.