frustrated WP's rules prevent me warning on cut-off contacts

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2014, 6:34 am

I'm morally frustrated with WP's rule against attacking other sites. The reason is humanitarian, directly to do with preventing a terrible emotional cruelty to folks making online friendships with distant relatives they did not know. One of the sites that can bring you into contact with distant relatives also lets contacts be lost by accident before they starts, because it lets invitations accidentally be accepted to the wrong account and they can only be accepted once. The sender never knows and the receiver is left with no means to re-accept the invitation, and in some cases no means to contact the sender.

This is cruel and everyone should be concerned to stop it and keep away from the danger, yet I'm not allowed to tell you on WP where it is. Won't aspies be particularly hurt and particularly nervous in searching for the hideously lost contact elsewhere and challenged in how to explain if they find them?
:?: :?: :?:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 12:15 am

tern wrote:
I'm morally frustrated with WP's rule against attacking other sites.

So don't "attack" the site; just warn us.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2014, 10:22 am

But it is an attack to accuse a site of doing something ethically bad. I would need permission.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 10:24 am

Well then, why don't you just go right ahead and ASK FOR PERMISSION?! !

It would certainly be more effective than whining about the rules in a public thread.

What would you want to complain about, anyway? Other websites' rules?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2014, 10:39 am

I would have thought the thread's title constitutes asking for permission. Nobody ever told me there is any other way to do it.

The workings of one of the site's functions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 10:47 am

Do you see that green button labelled "PM"? It stands for "Private Message". You can send a private message to a moderator, asking for permission to violate this website's rules. Just don't expect an affirmative reply.

The rules are there for many reasons, not the least of which is to prevent the owner from being the target of civil lawsuits brought against him by other website owners for slanderous posts made here.

I very strongly suggest that if you can not or will not abide by the rules of this website, then you may be better off to seek membership on a website where the rules are more to your liking.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 10:56 am

Perhaps if you phrase it as a personal anecdote rather than a warning?
"I had this experience with website X" rather than "Don't use website X - they're horrible!"

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2014, 7:28 am

Fnord wrote:
The rules are there for many reasons, not the least of which is to prevent the owner from being the target of civil lawsuits brought against him by other website owners for slanderous posts made here.
I know perfectly well why the rule is there, and writing about bad things is only slanderous when they can't be factually evidenced. Which is why in cases where they are evidenced and there is distress to prevent, the question becomes worth raising.

Fnord wrote:
I very strongly suggest that if you can not or will not abide by the rules of this website, then you may be better off to seek membership on a website where the rules are more to your liking.
I very strongly suggest that this is gratuitously hostile posting, and in fact a slander of me. Where does this tribe-like defensiveness come from? If a person raises a question about a rule, that does not constitute not abiding by it. It's the same as political campaigns to change laws don't constitute breaking them. Whether you can see the difference is a character test of whether you believe in democracy - think what societies are like that don't see any difference, e.g. North Korea.

I belong to several aspie sites and have identified the offending site on all the others I belong to, and that does not reach folks who don't belong to those sites.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 7:40 am

If you feel that I have offended you, then report me. That's what the "Report" button is for.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2014, 7:47 am

I like the peacekeeping and public fairness option, of simply showing readers that I could answer you. :wink:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:48 am

Did the other website slander you by suggesting that you follow its rules? :(

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:55 am

Written statements cannot be slanderous, only libelous. :wink:

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2014, 6:39 am

The other site did not suggest anything at all and the objection is to the workings of one of its functions, not to its abstract rules.

Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Do you see that green button labelled "PM"? It stands for "Private Message". You can send a private message to a moderator, asking for permission to violate this website's rules. Just don't expect an affirmative reply.

:o 8O :?

I’ve got a few technical issues with online site privacy and post hacking.
In case you’re wondering, I’m British and am friendly enough .
However, I’m starting to feel like I’m about to get booed off for saying my piece from time to time.
I get things mixed up, that’s part of being human, but in order to shape evolution, you‘ve got to embrace it generically.
With the current system in place, I’m wondering if anyone British is truly accepted here.(for being unique individuals). Cultural acceptance is of course important. I don’t need an American visa right?
I mean, few of us are shy of saying the wrong thing, but for those who aren’t, maybe taking the light approach is not working.
Being credible may mean taking a collective approach to people who are abusing the whole forum.
Some people here are already part of the old furniture and pushing all the new or returning ones out.
I can find threads.

Don’t you think that treating people(who are mostly adults) fairly, is right for all concerned?
Part of the British culture is often about disagreeing with stats and matters we consider as being too small to worry about or something big enough to think about with real public issues.

"Women are made to be loved, not understood."

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 6:27 am

Subject line: "Bug at <sitename> makes using difficult"

Then explain what it does in your post.

Problem solved.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 8:04 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Subject line: "Bug at <sitename> makes using difficult"

Then explain what it does in your post.

Problem solved.

^ Agree. I think maybe it "feels" slanderous to you because it got you frustrated and finding relatives can be emotional anyway so things like that hit right when you don't need more problems.

I wrote a post on here once asking for help in Wordpress. It was worded pretty much like OliveOilMom's suggestion. It didn't occur to me that it might be viewed as an attack on Wordpress and I don't think anyone took it that way. Just make another thread and talk about the technical issue. Like you said, lots of other people could be walking into major disappointment. And there are so many experts on here, someone might have a work around to help.