Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jimothy1669
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2014, 5:29 pm

This seems like a bit of a stupid question, but is there a 'rule' as to how to greet people (particularly men)? I learnt how to greet people from my female relatives before I came out as trans, but now I am living as male and have no male relatives to learn from. Is a handshake too formal? I know some men get offended if you hug them, but others are ok with it.

The whole thing is just very confusing, and I avoid saying hello or goodbye to men because I don't know how to do it.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 7:41 am

"Handshake (without the actual shake) to men, kiss on the cheek to women" is the standard practice here if you are male.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2014, 4:50 pm

I totally get you on this subject. I never know whether I should let on to someone or wait till they speak first. There are just so many cues and then there's all the handshaking, hugging, kissing and stuff which I never get. It always makes me feel so uncomfortable so I tend to only shake hands when I really have to cos I really don't like it. I don#t think I will ever get my head round it all so I see where you are coming from.
I usually just greet a person verbally unless they try to take it further with a handshake or a kiss but I always wait for their cue first to avoid any embarrassment.
I find different groups of people have different ways of greeting especially posh people and people from different levels of social standing. I would just go with the verbal unless you see them moving in for a bit more.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.