Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Has ableist slang heavily affected your life and/or stability?
Yes, a lot. 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only a little bit. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
I'm not sure. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, not really. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Definitely not. 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

iwrotethese
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

My entire life, when others called me "crasy," I believed them with everything I was.
To this day, it dampens my experience as a human being to be asked "What's wrong with you?" when I'm rocking back and forth at work.
I know I'm not the only one that struggles with this. In fact, I'm almost certain the majority of us do... and unfortunately, those who don't are blissfully unaware. I want to change that.

Please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bgTcURrqQ
and share it if it pertains at all to your experience, or someone you love's.

(Due to constant negative comments I receive whenever I try to be active about these issues, I'll put this footnote here: Yes, I am on the spectrum. Yes, I am high functioning. It's taken me over a decade of therapy in order to get to the point where I can appear "neuro-typical." Please be kind to EVERYONE--you never know what they are going through.)

your ableist slang hurts millions.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm

People will always use words both benevolently and malevolently.

But with experience comes wisdom, and we learn that the superficial judgments others make are insignificant because these people do not really know us.

How you feel about yourself is what really matters, because you know yourself better than anyone else. Your identity must be built from within, not from the world around you.

You have no control over others. You only have control of yourself. Follow your heart in your words and actions. Each day, when you can ask yourself, "did I do the right thing?" in any given situation, and you honestly answer "yes," you should feel proud of yourself. Building healthy confidence in yourself comes gradually in these simple day-to-day triumphs. By doing so, you will heal yourself and recover from any pain that others have caused you. And you will also make the world a better place.