Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MightyOfus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2015, 1:51 pm

Here's one thing I've noticed about myself:

I think out loud. Like, a lot. It usually happens when I'm stressed, or when my mind wanders. If I'm thinking about a social situation where I'm a key player in the discussion (be it an argument, a presentation, or even even past conversations that I've already had), I start thinking about what I'm going to say, or what I should have said to make my point better. And then, all of a sudden, I realize that I'm actually saying the things I'm thinking out loud, like I'm having the conversation right then, and the person is standing right there. I mean, I do it quietly. I try not to let people notice. But sometimes they do, and it makes things very awkward because I don't even know how to explain it.

Does anyone else do this?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:23 pm

Yes! The more important or tense the subject is- the more I think aloud - even in the street......but I can hide among all the minimal headset users :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:41 pm

Yeah....I think out loud!

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:57 am

Yes I think out loud.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 6:59 am

I sometimes do this.

More often, though, I think I have said something that I didn't say. My husband says my thoughts must be so loud in my own head I think I am making a physical sound and communicating them to others.

karley39
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 7:07 am

Yes I think out loud, too.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2015, 4:37 pm

I do this all the time, more so in a stressful situation. Eventually I notice, and my already bad social anxiety gets worse. If I end up being around ppl at the time and finally realizing I am doing it, and then have to communicate with them- pretty much every sentence ends with the last word or last couple of words being repeated 3 times- exacerbating the situation even more......

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

Yeah, I often think out loud. When I'm in a situation that provokes anxiety or fear, I mutter to myself constantly. Also, when I'm playing a card game, I talk to myself about which card to pick (I don't actually say what card it is, I just say, "not that card--um, how 'bout that one" or something.)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:12 pm

MightyOfus wrote:

I think out loud. Like, a lot. It usually happens when I'm stressed, or when my mind wanders. If I'm thinking about a social situation where I'm a key player in the discussion (be it an argument, a presentation, or even even past conversations that I've already had), I start thinking about what I'm going to say, or what I should have said to make my point better. And then, all of a sudden, I realize that I'm actually saying the things I'm thinking out loud, like I'm having the conversation right then, and the person is standing right there. I mean, I do it quietly. I try not to let people notice. But sometimes they do, and it makes things very awkward because I don't even know how to explain it.

You are not alone on that one. I have done it all of my life and have been accused by society as being "Crazy" because they don't understand.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:18 pm

TheAP wrote:
Yeah, I often think out loud. When I'm in a situation that provokes anxiety or fear, I mutter to myself constantly. Also, when I'm playing a card game, I talk to myself about which card to pick (I don't actually say what card it is, I just say, "not that card--um, how 'bout that one" or something.)

One time while playing cards with my daughter, I picked up a card and very slowly and nonchalantly said, "Fiiiive". LOL. We had a good laugh!

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm

I like how Jensen copes with it. Make note to self, keep my earphones in, at least I can make up a better excuse.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 11:30 pm

I do, but am far less likely to d so in public.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2015, 1:29 am

For what it's worth, I am reading one of Temple Grandin's books (Animals In Translation) and she mentions this a few times as an "autistic" trait (of course, back then she was still saying all autistic folks also think in pictures, so I take this with my usual grain of salt for her pronouncements).

Anyway, for me it's a working memory thing. I get confused and talking out loud focuses me. I've always done this.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 5:07 am

i do this too, although it normally is a soundless whisper, i do mouth my thoughts. it is very hard for me to think without an outlet, be that speaking or writing, and writing is often not available, so the whisper it is.

G4m3r5h4n3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

MightyOfus wrote:

Dude, I talk to myself all the time, I even see NT's doing this shiz, they just aren't as obvious about it.

I just tell people 'it happens, you'd be mad not to talk to yourself from time to time' and that's it really, if you look like you are ashamed of it though then yea people will look a bit puzzled, it's just who you are so don't worry about it.

Some things don't need explaining, sometimes you just have to embrace it, if you do that it might happen less also.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:05 pm

Yes, I do. And when I did notice it, it was quite entertaining to watch my classmates reactions back when I was in university.

The downside is that it also happens when I am having embarassing thoughts (for example, remembering past mistakes). I usually say only a few disconnected words out loud, but it is still bad enough.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.