Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Just wondering because I don't really understand this. What is the purpose of having friends?
Also, how do you know when someone is your friend? At what point do they magically click over from being someone you know to the next stage in the relationship?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

Friends provide you with someone to talk to about your feelings and someone to laugh and have fun with. They just provide you with a sense of belonging and being loved.

As for your second question, I can't answer that. I've been wondering the same thing myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm

For somebody to talk to other than yourself.

For companionship when you desire it.

For someone to confide in--To allow you to vent without being judged.

To (rarely) help you out with practical things should you be unable to do the practical thing.

To play ball with--to play games with--to kid around with.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Just wondering because I don't really understand this. What is the purpose of having friends?

For me it's company and feelings of connected-ness/love, and to support each other when we can (if they need something I try to help them, if I need something they try to help me).

Raleigh wrote:
Also, how do you know when someone is your friend? At what point do they magically click over from being someone you know to the next stage in the relationship?

I have no idea. I know that I'm friends with someone when they refer to me as their friend, or when I ask them if we're friends and they say yes.

Love transcends all.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 2:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
For somebody to talk to other than yourself.

I have to talk to lots of people at work and I'm not good at talking so that wears me out.
Quote:
For companionship when you desire it.

I have the companionship of my family.
Quote:
For someone to confide in--To allow you to vent without being judged.

That's what my psychologist is for.
Quote:
To (rarely) help you out with practical things should you be unable to do the practical thing.

I've never needed a friend for those things before.
Quote:
To play ball with--to play games with--to kid around with.

I have 2 kids for that.

I guess what I'm asking is: Do you really need to have friends, especially if you don't know if they are one or not. I don't see the point, really. It seems a lot of hassle for little gain. And I'm just not interested.
I've been doing a 'friends' program because I have to :rambo: and I find the thought of having a friend doesn't appeal to me at all. Am I completely unnatural, or what?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:36 am

Friends are merely a luxury of ones geographical location and time. There are two kinds of friends, those you laugh with and those you can cry with. You don't really need friends that you can laugh with, but they can be nice to be around and make life more entertaining. Interests and humor type just need to overlap enough. The other kind friends you can confide in is a bit different. You hopefully begin life with a few already, those in your family. If you're lucky you can make more and they basically become an extension of your own personal family group. Basically your spouse and any other close confidants. Basically people that are "friends" of the family. You can count on them in most situations. Both are merely dependent on one's personal needs and are hopefully not lacking from ones family they were born to or have created.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 4:52 am

^ Yeah, that's something like what the ladies at the program said. I just don't think it's going to happen. I keep telling them I don't need friends but they keep saying things like, "everyone needs friends" and banging on about how wonderful these non-existent friends are.
If I haven't needed friends in the last 20 years, why would I need them now?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 4:55 am

Raleigh wrote:
That's what my psychologist is for.
[/quote]
A psychologist is in reality just a paid friend. To answer your question it is all due to biology as we evolved to be grouped into tribes.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:17 am

It depends on what you define as a friend, to me friends are a mini community. I realised who were my genuine friends when I went through a rough patch, it would have been easier for them to be distant, but they weren't. And I would not have got through it all without outside support, family are great if they are in a good place, but what happens when their lives fall apart at the same time as yours? Granted some people are lucky enough to make it through life without that happening to them.

If you have a large closely knit family then possibly you will not need to seek others, but that can be an insular experience of life. Friends introduce new ways of being, different perspectives and opportunities for experiences that a person might not otherwise discover.

To me the issue is reciprocation in kind, and how a person meets those expectations can make or break a friendship. Is it fair to the other person when they experience pressure and seek my support, that unless I am in a good place I sometimes can not deliver?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:09 am

Amity wrote:
To me the issue is reciprocation in kind, and how a person meets those expectations can make or break a friendship. Is it fair to the other person when they experience pressure and seek my support, that unless I am in a good place I sometimes can not deliver?

I don't know. I guess not. I'll ask the ladies at the program. They seem to know everything.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:12 am

You could try to "deliver" as a friend--but, sometimes, a solution to any problem is just not in the cards, and probably for reasons beyond your control.

I don't expect anybody to "deliver" for me. I'm pretty self-reliant. I'm appreciative when somebody does "deliver" for me (it doesn't happen too often, and I'm glad for that, because this means I'm not too needy)--but if somebody is not able to, I don't feel bitter towards that person. It "just wasn't in the cards."

One cannot move a mountain, especially if the mountain doesn't want to be moved.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:30 am

Because I will eventually feel lonely without friends and because I love my friends

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:40 am

Why do I need friends? Because I might need ...

... Someone to explain to strangers that I'm just having a bad day.

... Someone to play chess or poker with.

... Someone to take over driving on those five-hour trips to Las Vegas.

... Someone to let me know when I'm dominating a conversation with my special interests.

... Someone to watch out for pick-pockets when I'm paying for lunch at the food truck.

... Someone to run errands for me when I'm in the hospital.

... Someone to care enough to remember my birthday.

... Someone to care enough to identify my body at the morgue.

... Someone to say, "Nice to see you again", and really mean it.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

Perhaps "deliver" was too crude a word, I had a small group of good friends, long term ones, I don't anymore. They were there for me when my life was in turmoil, but I was unable to reciprocate in any meaningful way for a prolonged period and they got sick of that and moved on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

I wasn't criticizing your use of the term "deliver" at all.

Many good people have expectations that friends "deliver" for them. It's akin to being reciprocal. Some people have too much expectations when it comes to having things "delivered" for them.

My feeling is: if a basically good person has trouble reciprocating, then I think the person needs me to "deliver," and to help him/her in reciprocate at a later date (the reciprocation does not have to involved lending me money, or doing some "favor" for me, by the way). I expect nothing in return--except not to be attacked for attempting to "deliver." When I offer well-meaning advice, and I get attacked, I can get pretty pissed.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 10:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wasn't criticizing your use of the term "deliver" at all.

Many good people have expectations that friends "deliver" for them. It's akin to being reciprocal. Some people have too much expectations when it comes to having things "delivered" for them.

My feeling is: if a basically good person has trouble reciprocating, then I think the person needs me to "deliver," and to help him/her in reciprocate at a later date (the reciprocation does not have to involved lending me money, or doing some "favor" for me, by the way). I expect nothing in return--except not to be attacked for attempting to "deliver." When I offer well-meaning advice, and I get attacked, I can get pretty pissed.

Kraftie, for me today the above quote is like another language, do you basically mean friendship without expectations? Why are you referring to being attacked?