Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2009, 9:00 am

Anybody ever watch Seinfeld and it helped them with social skills? I know they were pretty rude to people on that show, but the thing is, they would talk about little nuances and explain them. Things people were just supposed to know and were never mentioned. I'm pretty good at impersonating NT's but I still learned a lot of stuff from it.

On a side note, during and after high school I have mentioned that I had three really good girlfriends who were sort of outsiders too who I hung with and who taught me how to interact with people. They actually told me things everybody else 'just knew'. Well during my last year of high school I made a guy friend. Strictly platonic, although at first I was half in love with him because he was one of the most popular guys in school. But he came from an odd family and we hit it right off. So we got to be really good friends and he taught me how to interact with guys and would coach me about them. Anyway, we have remained freinds and would see each other a couple times a year and talk on the phone more often, even up till this day. He was obsessed with Seinfeld when it was on the air. He said he would see his life like he was Jerry. I asked "Does that make me Elaine?" He stopped what he was doing, turned and looked at me like I was crazy and he said "No! That makes you George!" LOL! Meaning he didn't really see me as female. I guess not since once when he started shaving as a teenager we were on the phone talking and he was telling me about it and he wanted to pass on a very important tip. Never use menthol shaving cream because it burns your face. Duh.

PaganMom

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 9:57 am

I'm not sure it's helped with social skills, but all the time when there are conversations about weird things that people do, I'm like "OMG, there was a Seinfeld about that!" Like the threads about "what's up" when you're passing someone and don't have time to reply, or just generally greeting people, makes me think of the one about how the acknowledgment of people you work with decreases over the course of a day, from a big greeting in the morning to the little nod in the afternoon.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 12:29 pm

PaganMom wrote:
I'm pretty good at impersonating NT's but I still learned a lot of stuff from it.

why would u want to impersonate an NT ?
don't u know it is vary hazardous to your mental and physical health ?
Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm treats the small nothings that hold the fabric of our society in a comic way in order to lough at our hypocrisy and the stupid,meaningless way we deal with our life.
do u strive for hypocricy and stupidity ?
as an AS u r gifted with a chance to know better,why would u waste it ?

BTW
Larry David must be on the spectrum as u have to be a little autistic to see what he see and to behave the way he does
the man is in a constant collision with his immediate the social environment
his dark humor and plots are largely based on other people misinterpreting him
he always say the wrong things at the worst timing
etc...

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2009, 12:38 pm

nara44 wrote:
PaganMom wrote:
I'm pretty good at impersonating NT's but I still learned a lot of stuff from it.

why would u want to impersonate an NT ?
don't u know it is vary hazardous to your mental and physical health ?
Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm treats the small nothings that hold the fabric of our society in a comic way in order to lough at our hypocrisy and the stupid,meaningless way we deal with our life.
do u strive for hypocricy and stupidity ?
as an AS u r gifted with a chance to know better,why would u waste it ?

BTW
Larry David must be on the spectrum as u have to be a little autistic to see what he see and to behave the way he does
the man is in a constant collision with his immediate the social environment
his dark humor and plots are largely based on other people misinterpreting him
he always say the wrong things at the worst timing
etc...

I say "impersonating an NT" kind of tongue in cheek. I basically think of it as acting like other people. I suppose that I wanted to act like other people when I was a kid and teen so I would quit getting picked on and so life would stop being a living hell. It wasn't that difficult to learn once I got over being afraid of saying the wrong thing. Now it's second nature to me. I just watch myself in public and don't do anything gross like pick the skin on my lip or annoying like constantly pop my knuckles. Exactly how is that hazardous to my mental or physical health to do that? I think that my mental health is much improved, since I'm not having people stare at me and think I'm wierd anymore. I'm happy now, where I wasn't before. As for my physical health, exactly how would that effect it? I know of no way it would.

I suppose when I first started tryng to act like other people, yeah it was stressful to remember everything. Back then though, nobody knew anything about AS, so I was just 'wierd'. I have absolutely no desire to completely forget how to talk to people and act in public where I fit in. I don't think I could stop doing it now if I tried.

Why is it wrong and how is it dangerous to do what makes me happy?

PaganMom