Do you feel odd running into people from your past?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

E-Wreck
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2010, 1:10 am

I personally love it! Actually. I found quite a few friends from my childhood on Facebook and Myspace. It felt so amazing since many of them I hadn't seen since I was like 10! I love running into people from my past, as long as I had an okay relationship with them. If it was okay, why not? If there wasn't any relationship at all and you both hated each other, why even make contact? But, usually, I even say hi to acquientinces.

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2010, 10:32 pm

Usually I hate it, but that's only because I have a photographic memory, and really study people. I'll recall not only who the person is, but their siblings, who s/he was friends with, and where the family lived.

Generally, I know who the person is, but they only have a faint "I think I recognize that girl" moment. When I actually begin a conversation, if freaks them out...and I come across as somewhat of a stalker. My brain...it's not normal. hehe

Also, I think everyone thought I'd end up as a doctor (all the smart kids become doctors, right?)...and although I love my work, I HATE hearing "Gosh! A nurse! I thought you'd be a doctor!" It's their way of saying "I thought you were a lot SMARTER than that!"

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 11:42 pm

Nope, not at all, I just feel like an absolute pathetic loser because most of those I run into from my past are from my recent past(i.e. highschool) and they've all finished university with degrees in politics, finance or such and have careers and live on their own(regardless of whether they're disabled or not) and I'm approaching my 25th birthday, stuck still living at home w/mommy, jobless and educationless, with no near-future prospects of finding or gaining one.

generichomosapien
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2010, 11:31 am

I get so nervous running into people I haven't seen for awhile. Depending on how long it's been, I can't help but think about all of the stupid things I did at that time that they must be associating me with. The only thing that helps is that people have the tendency to like the idea of me more than me, so often when I run into people they forget how bad I actually was and oftentimes gush about how bold and fearless I seemed to them, when in reality I just didn't know better. Pretty much the better people's opinion of me the longer it's been since they had the err, "pleasure" of actually being around me.

Last edited by generichomosapien on 12 Mar 2010, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2010, 1:56 pm

I do feel strange when I see people that I haven't talk to in a while. Last night I was on facebook and some one I knew from school began to talk to me on facebook chat and I hadn't talked to him for about a year. I didn't mind but I do get that odd feeling when it happens.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:50 pm

it depends on who it is. I have run into 'old friends' in town, that I was more or less friends with. I so far have yet to run into any guys that I used to know from back then. It would probably be aaaaaaaaaaawkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

Pinchy

14 Mar 2010, 8:42 am

Yeah, I don't like running into people from the past. I worry that they must judge me or my other half and I also don't really wish to learn about their latest accomplishments or I will feel more than a little depressed afterwards.

I also have something similar to another person who replied to this post. Because I remember things very well, I may start talking like we only last saw each other an hour ago when in fact we may have not seen each other since 1991!

It depends also who the person is too. If the person was someone I didn't like, I am likely to shut up and start analyzing to figure out how he/she remembered me and what possible memories does he or she have of me.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 8:58 am

I generally avoid it. I can't cope if it's someone I used to like a lot and they've changed significantly.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 9:48 pm

I hate it! When I go back to my hometown in Indiana, I run into lots of people who recognize me and I don't know who the Hell they are. It's uncomfortable and embarrassing. I have developed this little breeze where I act happy to see them, asked them how they are and move on as quickly as possible. I don't know how else to deal with it. :shrug: