Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 11:28 pm

viva la weird 8)

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2011, 12:53 pm

You know junk drawers, those things that nobody makes on purpose but we all end up with one. They might have batteries, flashlights, rubber bands, scissors, paper clips, key rings, and other odd junk that doesn't really go anywhere else. Weird is a junk drawer word. It is an all encompassing word label where you get put if you don't fit into any of the other more organized labels that people have for things. You're not exactly goth, or geek, or jock, or emo, or w/e. When you don't fit in any of the other labels, "weird" is where you end up.

This isn't the only word of this type either. "Magic" basically means any process that we don't understand well enough to explain. "Lots" means a number large enough number that I haven't bothered to actually count it. And, of course, "they" from the famous phrase, "That's what they say", meaning some unidentified person or group with enough authority to be believable, but not enough importance that one would remember their name. "Critter" is a southern word for some small to medium sized animal that we can't identify or isn't important enough to identify. I would argue that "smart" or "intelligent" in its common usage is such a word, because when people say it they really are only saying it with reference to themselves. Most individuals assume that they have normal intelligence so any other person that uses big words and/or appears to know more facts than they do gets the word "smart" attached to them. How about those old sports standbys "grit" and "intangibles". I like intangibles because the literal definition of the word means unmeasurable or unidentifiable, so people literally talk about something that they tacitly admit has no objective meaning.

asdmonger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2011, 12:59 pm

My theory is that NTs generally are programmed to believe they are who they are because of the life choices they've made and the actions they've taken. They desperately need to validate that belief over and over again to maintain the illusion that they are in control. The existence of weird characters like aspies threatens that basic assumption.

As Sparrowrose described, we are uncomfortably close to human for them, yet not full explicable. We scare the sh|t out of them.

Patchesheart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2011, 5:39 pm

I can't imagine hanging out with people who didn't challenge me. "Weird " ppl is what keeps this world colorful and makes the world continue thinking. I <3 WEIRD! :D

Patchesheart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2011, 5:42 pm

I can't imagine hanging out with people who didn't challenge me. "Weird " ppl is what keeps this world colorful and makes the world continue thinking. I <3 WEIRD! :D

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 4:52 am

I honestly don't know.

I've been called weird so often the word has lost all meaning.

I always thought I was pretty 'normal', myself, in terms of what I liked ;)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 6:19 am

there is no such thing as "weird".

all adjectives are just descriptions of opinions, and opinions are not part of pervasive reality.
opinions are only contained within imagination.

"big" and "small" are only subjective reference points pertinent to an observer. there is infinite hugeness which reduces any idea of "big" to zero by comparison, and there is infinite miniscularity which renders any idea of "smallness" to be infinitely large by comparison.

one can not conceive of either "infinite" or "infinitesimal". the biggest thing one can imagine is infinitesimally small by comparison to infinity, and the smallest thing one can conceive of is infinitely large by comparison to "infinitesimall-ity".

x/infinity=0 and x/0=infinity. so "big" and "small" are meaningless with regard to reality considering that x is ones conceptual numerator.
sorry i dropped the reigns there.

anyway, if i am considered "weird" by everyone, and then they all popped out of existence, i would no longer be considered "weird".

"weirdness" is only in the mind of the beholder, as is "wrongness".

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 11:34 am

Weird in my family is a compliment. :D

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

03 Jan 2011, 9:23 pm

Craig28 wrote:
Modern life has made all manner of people very nasty indeed. You can't leave the house without bumping into some ass who mocks you you they can feel better about their miserable NT existence.

Plus NT's are envious of us Aspies like you wouldn't believe. Its frigging poisonous out there and its getting worse. The battle lines between NT's and Aspies is no longer just stories told around the campfires - its all real, it always has been.

1: I understand that there are benefits to each neurotype (is that how you say it) but why would one be jealous of another? I'm not saying that one neurotype is better than the other, they are both equally good.
2. What type of things would they argue about?
I feel so naive... and no, I am not a neurotypical.

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

03 Jan 2011, 9:34 pm

I'm not an Aspie, I have HFA (High Functioning Autism), but I'm tired of people mixing up the two. It can be misleading. Today, my friend found out that I had HFA and she told me she would have never guessed. For some reason, I don't want to pass as a neurotypical but I can't change who I am. I haven't told my other friend. I sometimes write stories and poems or whatever and that friend told me the character in my story couldn't be autistic because she wouldn't be able to express herself poetically like I did. I wasn't sure how to reply to that. She didn't know I had HFA and still doesn't know. :? I wonder what people think of me if they ever found out. Would they consider me suddenly foreign or would they say its not true or would they still hold the same opinion of me. I can pass as a neurotypical, but sometimes I'm not so sure. I am a bit eccentric. Btw, GO ECCENTRICITY!

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 10:36 am

Because people form identities based on who they accept and reject.

Society is about conformity. If someone wants mainstream acceptance, it's thier duty to reject anything that's different.

Don't ask, it's an NT thing. I can only associate with people as individuals; never as social entities.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 11:25 am

Because mainstream society sucks.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 8:28 pm

Yes, mainstream people suck. I embrace being weird because being normal is way too boring! I've read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Genes-Aspe ... 1931282447 it bascially argues that having a different mindset is a good thing! Here is the description:

"This well-researched book challenges the way we often look at autism and Asperger Syndrome by proposing that many famous historical figures had autistic mindsets. Arguing that highly creative people are largely born and not made, the authors present case studies of the lives of 21 famous individuals, tying their personalities, talents and lifestyles to the major characteristics of Asperger Syndrome. The book demonstrates that many people with ASD have lived rich, complex, productive lives, and that their intelligence and special talents made a significant contribution to the world today. It is a great tool for increasing general knowledge and awareness about ASD as it offers a new perspective on an often negative perception of autism and Asperger Syndrome."

I found it inspiring and it reminds me that being different is not a bad thing. It is unfortunate that mainstream society doesn't understand that being different is a good thing

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2011, 3:03 am

Shebakoby wrote:
I honestly don't know.

I've been called weird so often the word has lost all meaning.

I always thought I was pretty 'normal', myself, in terms of what I liked ;)

Same here. Although after people meet my family they usually just look at me and go "Oh. I get it now.". I don't know what these people are talking about, my family is perfectly normal! It not my fault everyone else's families are weird! :wink:

My gamer friends just call me crazy. From them that's a compliment. I'm not just the crazy person who yes really just pulled that. I'm their crazy person who just did that and somehow survived!

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 10:55 pm

being weird is NOT bad. The problem is some narrow-minded people think that anyone's behavior that does not conform to their norms is somehow flawed.
Being a non-conformist is an advantage because you avoid herd mentality. Beware the sheeple.

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2011, 9:19 pm

It's an indication of low social status. If others perceive you as 'weird', they will not associate with you for fear of diminishing their own social status.