Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

d057
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 7:49 pm

Have people ever said this to you? I mainly received it from therapists when they tried to help me learn "social skills". I posted a blog about it.

http://dwarren57.wordpress.com/2010/10/ ... en-trying/

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Oct 2010, 9:13 pm

oh ffs. yes! all the time, i got it mostely from my stupid mom and her dumbass husband. the schools was also bad with it, little did they know, I WAS OBSESSED WITH ROCKS. because i had aspergers! i mean really, i wish looking back on it now they feel terrible for making me feel like crap.

Oh well, what am i gonna do? revenge isnt mine. :twisted:

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 9:19 pm

I like your blog post.

I don't really know what laziness is, so I will look it up (not trying seems related to laziness to me.)

1. Inactivity resulting from a dislike of work
2. Relaxed and easy activity
3. Apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins)

I don't think I ever fit criteria one despite being called lazy or saying I don't try hard enough.

Here's the only definition of try that I found to be pertained (sorry, definitions are how I figure things out a lot)

1. Make an effort to accomplish something

Why would someone not try at all? Perhaps from laziness, as in a dislike of work. So the two are related. Despite NTs having theory of mind and empathy, supposedly, they seem to lack it when falsely accusing others of laziness or not trying hard enough. I would tell someone who said this to me if I could that in reality they are the ones not trying hard enough to understand and accept.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2010, 10:59 pm

I hate those four words!! !! ! I heard them for 12 #%$*ing years!!

I will never say those words to my son.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm

FJP wrote:

QFT :!: :idea:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 1:39 am

Not to be crass, but I've learned in life that if someone never struggled with a subject, they are generally sh!t at teaching it.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2010, 7:27 am

Yeah. Some people just have no idea...

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 3:45 pm

Yeah, I've heard this a lot. Mostly from extroverted classmates or the people in my residence hall. They seem to think that the only thing stopping me from making friends is lack of effort. These are usually the same people who later show no interest in anything I have to say.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 5:23 pm

...my parents... :(

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 5:26 am

Yes, my sister says this to me. She says that I need to make more of an effort, but I am not sure what this mysterious "effort" is. I've tried to explain to her that I can't connect with people. I think she finally gets it because she was telling me that at a party she was explaining to a couple of people I know that I have problems connecting with others, but they thought she was slagging me off and told her that they don't think I have a problem and that they like me. Granted, I like these people too, but they never invite me anywhere and don't include me in things.

I seem to be liked, but don't have the tools to bridge the gulf and turn that into friendship.

Lel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Oct 2010, 2:58 am

I'm irked that my son's school report equates ''effort'' with ''results''. You can be turning yourself inside out with ineffectual effort which fails to produce the expected results. How does that make the effort invalid?

Krisiona
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Oct 2010, 11:57 pm

Perpetual treadmill of my life, thy name is "trying".

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2010, 7:13 am

FJP wrote:

I'm deeply sorry for your suffering! I'm happy though that you want to rear your son in a more encouraging way. I hope that he'll appreciate it. :)

musicboxforever wrote:
I seem to be liked, but don't have the tools to bridge the gulf and turn that into friendship.

Me tooooooooooo!! So many people I can call friends but we never do anything... this is another area in which the concept of "trying" is encompassed. Oh, life...

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2010, 3:26 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
Yes, my sister says this to me. She says that I need to make more of an effort, but I am not sure what this mysterious "effort" is. I've tried to explain to her that I can't connect with people. I think she finally gets it because she was telling me that at a party she was explaining to a couple of people I know that I have problems connecting with others, but they thought she was slagging me off and told her that they don't think I have a problem and that they like me. Granted, I like these people too, but they never invite me anywhere and don't include me in things.

Me and my sponsor go through this!

We seem to be in the same boat as far as not being able to carry things further into a real friendship! I have friends, but ONLY because of the effort THEY expended! If it depended SOLELY on me to carry things, it WOULDN'T HAPPEN!

I do NOT have the gift of gab like HE does!

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm

Those are my least favorite words. And half the time i have no clue what they are talking about (context wise).

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 10:21 pm

yes i hear this all the time from coworkers (who most are right out of high school), my mother, and my therapist. my mother likes to say "im spinning my wheels". its annoys the hell out of me.